Leaking CO2 valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I was carbonating my kegs I noticed a hissing sound and when I investigated, I could feel a breeze coming from this black gas valve (with green label). Seemed to be coming from around the adjustment screw. Are these things repairable? I haven't taken it apart yet.. maybe a bad o-ring or something? packing?

Problem for me is the cost of CO2.. no roads to here so it has to be flown back to Anchorage to fill.. which means haz-mat freight both ways.. big bucks for me. No one locally fills bottles. thanks.. JD

Attachments

• PXL_20240209_023433855.jpg
    PXL_20240209_023433855.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
If the regulator on the left (with the gray knob) is working fine, just use that one.

If the green label one still leaks when set to 0, you can possibly remove it from the assembly. Mind, there can be both left and right threads in that manifold, so you know to look out for that.

You can capture CO2 from fermentation to purge kegs and such. Even store CO2 in kegs for later reuse.

I recently watched one youtube video dealing with something about brewing and then the algorithm started shoving all sorts of brewing videos at me.. so I found a few good ones I could use on reducing my CO2 purchases such as what you (@IslandLizard ) suggest. I may even try fermenting in the corny kegs. In the past I've just gravity drained the fermenters (mostly carboys with syphon or my Speidel) but would like to try some oxygen free methods such as pressure transfers for my IPAs - so keep the 20lb bottle around fer sure.

I can't order from Williams Brewing since shipping is way expensive to outside contiguous states, but I did find some cheaper priced rebuild kits for the valve on the Chi Company which ships via USPS for us outliers. (No free shipping for us except maybe Amazon.) I'll open up that valve today and see what's up.

If you hadn't seen this idea previously, I would also suggest looking at a CO2 transfer hose so that you could refill 5 lbers from the 20.

but would like to try some oxygen free methods such as pressure transfers for my IPAs -
When I still used carboys and didn't think about O2 exposure I bought this cheap racking kit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...17LpNo0U&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:
I adapted it with 3/8" Bevlex 200 lines with ball lock disconnects and use it to fill my cornys with Star San, and then purge pressurize the pump and lines with CO2 and use it for closed-loop transfers from fermenter or another keg (having also sanitized and pressurized the gas return line). Works just as well as pushing with CO2 through to a spunding valve, only without the wasted CO2.
Cheaptransfer.jpg

Have you tried welding shops and welding suppliers?
In those remote areas having connections is important, for everyone.

"You got CO2, I got beer..."
There's no welding shops per se - I did ask the most well known welder in town (works for the city powerhouse) and he didn't think of any local source - but the local hardware store rents full 100 lb bottles. I still need to see if I can work something out with him, but other brewers (I only know of one or two others in town - we're about 3600 people in size) have said he doesn't want to deal with it. I thought I would rent the bottle and fill my 20 lb'er and my 10 lb'er, and hopefully find enough others to fill their bottles and make it worthwhile. Still possibly cheaper than the $500 or so to ship down to Anchorage and back if he's game to let me do it.

When I still used carboys and didn't think about O2 exposure I bought this cheap racking kit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001976141255.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.5.26147d1aMikJpr&algo_pvid=4c821890-2564-4964-9a28-bd2717d52609&algo_exp_id=4c821890-2564-4964-9a28-bd2717d52609-2&pdp_npi=4@dis!CAD!36.76!33.08!!!26.69!24.02!@2101eff117075810490877218eef28!12000018288589320!sea!CA!0!AB&curPageLogUid=qEjb17LpNo0U&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:
I adapted it with 3/8" Bevlex 200 lines with ball lock disconnects and use it to fill my cornys with Star San, and then purge pressurize the pump and lines with CO2 and use it for closed-loop transfers from fermenter or another keg (having also sanitized and pressurized the gas return line). Works just as well as pushing with CO2 through to a spunding valve, only without the wasted CO2.
View attachment 841339
There's an idea! Haven't seen any youtubes about doing that.. you need to get it in the algorithm. I may look around for something similar.. the only time I tried ordering something on aliexpress.. I never got the order and they wouldn't compensate me for it - tracking only would say it made it to my country. I've got extra chugger pumps now that I've gone from 3 vessel to BIAB - though since they don't really pull a suction maybe they aren't a good choice. I'll cogitate on it. Thanks!

There's an idea! Haven't seen any youtubes about doing that.. you need to get it in the algorithm. I may look around for something similar.. the only time I tried ordering something on aliexpress.. I never got the order and they wouldn't compensate me for it - tracking only would say it made it to my country. I've got extra chugger pumps now that I've gone from 3 vessel to BIAB - though since they don't really pull a suction maybe they aren't a good choice. I'll cogitate on it. Thanks!
Not all Aliexpress sellers are equal... The link I included is for SHFC Precision Machine, I bought from them many times and always rated the 5-stars and can confidently recommend them, but it may be as cheap or cheap to try amazon or ebay for a 12V DC diaphram pump, often listed as an RV water pump, such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Diaph...fix=diaphragm+water+pump+12v+dc,aps,91&sr=8-7
(I'm in Canada, so my amazon links don't always work.)
:mug:

@Broken Crow Thanks much - big help. I may try Aliexpress again sometime based on recommendations such as yours.. just no more shots in the dark. That link worked fine. I'm building a cruising sailboat and have a Shurflo self-priming pump for it laying around uninstalled.. I could also give that a try until I get something more dedicated.

Cracked open the valve yesterday and the membrane seemed fine. Inside the valve body (image) looks a bit rough - scrape marks from the factory and some discoloration. Not sure how that center thing comes out - does it just screw out? I think there is a replaceable seat under it.. not sure though. Meanwhile the other valve is a taprite and it is now in place so everything is usable. My kegerator has 2 gas inputs, but one has 4 keg hookups and that's probably as many as I'll ever use so I don't really need this cornelius valve.. but hate to pitch it in trash looking at the price of valves. So may see if I can get it back in shape.

Attachments

• PXL_20240210_191503931.jpg
    PXL_20240210_191503931.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
That silver colored insert is indeed threaded. I can't tell from the picture if it's internal hex or just fine slotted...

Cheers!
It is just fine slotted. I have nothing that fine other than a knife blade.. don't want to muck it up. But I'll see..

Is there a bar or convince store that dispenses fountain drinks nearby? They’ll have a CO2 supplier. Get cozy with them and see if they could stock an extra tank or 2.

Not sure how that center thing comes out - does it just screw out? I think there is a replaceable seat under it.. not sure though.
I believe the silver thing is the back-side of the seat.
The needle is behind that.
Whether it is a press fit or threaded it has to seal to the body once it is installed since the other side is the high pressure side of the regulator. if you flip the part you are holding over is there a cap on the other side?

I believe the silver thing is the back-side of the seat.
The needle is behind that.
Whether it is a press fit or threaded it has to seal to the body once it is installed since the other side is the high pressure side of the regulator. if you flip the part you are holding over is there a cap on the other side?
Like this:

Behind that cap will be a spring and needle valve that seats into the silver thing.
I don't think you need to remove that in order to fix your leak.
The front side is likely all you need to focus on.

Attachments

• PXL_20240.jpg
    PXL_20240.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Is there a bar or convince store that dispenses fountain drinks nearby? They’ll have a CO2 supplier. Get cozy with them and see if they could stock an extra tank or 2.

No, there is not. At least fountain type stuff. There is one bar (the other burned down recently) that has draft beer - you gave me the idea to inquire with them.

Attachments

• PXL_20220918_040834290.jpg
    PXL_20220918_040834290.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Like this:

Behind that cap will be a spring and needle valve that seats into the silver thing.
I don't think you need to remove that in order to fix your leak.
The front side is likely all you need to focus on.
Thanks for that info - but too late. I opened it up from the back. (Looks like your image). Behind that spring is a little nib that looks similar to a poppet and had a black rubber-like piece on its backside. Don't know if that is included in the rebuild kits but I did put it back together. I'll order the kit at some point.. shipping is always an issue so I'll wait to see if I need anything else to help spread the cost of the order's shipping.

Thanks for that info - but too late. I opened it up from the back. (Looks like your image). Behind that spring is a little nib that looks similar to a poppet and had a black rubber-like piece on its backside. Don't know if that is included in the rebuild kits but I did put it back together. I'll order the kit at some point.. shipping is always an issue so I'll wait to see if I need anything else to help spread the cost of the order's shipping.
That kit might ship in an envelope USPS.
Would that be cheaper for you?

That kit might ship in an envelope USPS.
Would that be cheaper for you?
Sure would. But a lot of these outfits have a flat minimum rate. I always check by first pricing the shipping of an item in the cart, then start adding other stuff until the shipping changes and then back off. Another trick is when I travel south (not all that often) I can go for free shipping to a friend's/family house address and pick it up there - if I don't need it very quickly.

Back