Which sanitizer do you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
It seems like Star San is the most popular on the forums, but I read one review that said it isn't safe on plastic. I do all my brewing in 6.5 gallon plastic buckets, so this becomes an important factor.

Is Star San safe to use on plastic? If not, what no-rinse santizer do you recommend?

StarSan. It is safe on plastic, and is so riduculously convenient that it's really not even a competition with iodine, hypochlorite, etc.

Get a good spray bottle also, and it becomes portable and lasts forever.

No joke. I am still using the first bottle of Starsan that I bought with my beginner kit - back in 2010 maybe. Sure, it's almost gone but, seriously - it lasts a long, long time.

EDIT: Just don't tighten the caps down too hard. And don't let the concentrate get anywhere near countertops or bare metal.

Is Star San safe to use on plastic?
It is sold full-strength in a plastic bottle.
There is good reason it is the most popular sanitizer. I can't fathom why anyone would even consider anything else.

People consider others, I'm guessing, 'cause they fear the foam. It makes them think they're putting soap in their beer. I use Star San myself, but I can see why others (probably beginners) would cringe at the idea of putting beer on foamy bubbles.

No joke. I am still using the first bottle of Starsan that I bought with my beginner kit - back in 2010 maybe. Sure, it's almost gone but, seriously - it lasts a long, long time.

EDIT: Just don't tighten the caps down too hard. And don't let the concentrate get anywhere near countertops or bare metal.

They replaced the caps a few months ago with a more sturdy version :)

Back