New plastic fermenter bucket - sanitize with bleach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfreaky

Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I received home brew equipment as a present and I dont have any of the Star San on hand. Seems like everyone is fine using bleach which I have. As all new equipment, I'm guessing filling the bucket with a cap of bleach and let it sit for 20 minutes or less? Rinse thoroughly and drip dry should be suffice? I will be getting the Star San for the quick and ease so this will most likely be a one time.

The yeast is activated at room temperature so want to get going.

Thought I read that letting bleach mix sit in a plastic bucket is no good because it will leach into the plastic?

Also not good to let it sit in stainless steel as it will eat it.

Last edited:
I haven't used bleach for sanitizing brew gear. I do use it for fresh water tanks on the boat. Search the proper ratio of bleach to water, mix, soak, rinse and air dry should work well.

You could get some everclear. Wash with dishwashing soap solution, rinse well, rinse well again, and wipe down with Everclear a couple of times with a clean cloth. Meanwhile, get some star san in the pipeline. It is pretty good stuff. I don't mind using bleach on glass but plastic, not so keen on it.

Remember, you aren't sterilizing. You are just sanitizing.

If you go with the bleach, let it air out, upside down, for a few hours or overnight and it should be okay for brewing. If it is good and clean then you shouldn't get any microbial growth because, well, nothing to eat and nowhere to hide.

Once you have brewed your first batch or two, you will probably want to upgrade your fermenter to one of the wide mouth plastic carboy types such as the Big Mouth Bubbler or the Fermonster. These are pretty cheap and a lot better than a bucket. The hardest part of bucket brewing is all about the lid, getting a good seal, and opening it. And you can't see your beer. The classic carboy you have only a very narrow opening, making cleaning a PITA, though there are workarounds that make it easier. The only real negative to using a clear fermenter is you need to keep it covered, to block UV. I just use a black tshirt and strategically placed clothespins or binder clips.

ahhh yes, was thinking sterilizing. Good point. So I do have Brewers Edge Oxygen Cleanser. This should be good then?

Last edited:
Plastic buckets are a soft material, so be careful not to scratch the insides. Scratches can harbor microbes. Wipe off trub with a soft cloth, fill with some warm Oxygen cleaner solution and let it soak overnight. Drain, rinse. Sanitize with Starsan just before next use.

What about using the Oxygen CLeanser as the sanitizer on this new never used fermenter bucket? I plann to get the Star San after this first batch. Right now the Yeast is activated on its second day at room temperature and has grown. Don't want it to go to waste.

So need a temporary sanitizer option for brand new fermenter bucket while Star San is not available. @GrowleyMonster mentioned Everclear as one option.

I also read vinegar an hydrogen peroxide? Isopropyl Alcohol looks to be acceptable as well?

Something quick that can be done like what GrowleyMonster mentioned.

Last edited:
I think there are many options, search these forums, read How to Brew by Palmer online.
Don't worry about your yeast starter. While it is ready to pitch when active, the traditional method is to let it ferment out and then pitch. You can even refrigerate it and keep for weeks.

Using bleach 1 tablespoon per quart (1/4 cup per gallon) will get it done. A higher bleach to water ratio isn't a big deal but not necessary. I stay away from that no-splash bleach. Let it sit for a few minutes, and you can just rinse that out well, even use unscented dish soap and, again, rinse well.
What was mentioned above is really important--don't use anything that can scratch a bucket. .

Many sources caution against using bleach on plastic. The Jan/Feb 2003 issue of BYO says "Chlorine bleach is a good cleaner for glass, but of limited usage for plastic, since it can be absorbed by the plastic, leading to off flavors in your beer". Opinions vary, but IMO you're better off waiting until you have Star San, and leave any possible bleach usage for glass. Even then, it must be rinsed very well.

With the debate about 'dirty' tap water and using it to rinse, and no issues with the activated yeast, I've decided to wait for the Star San to arrive.

Back