Which Keg Upgrades are Worth the Cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finally going to start kegging, but having never owned a keg setup before, I'm having trouble figuring out what I really need. I'm looking on Kegconnection.com right now and I'm going to go with a 2 keg keezer with collar setup (not picnic taps), but I'm overwhelmed by the options. Here are my main questions:

1) In general, are Taprite regulators better than Chudnow regulators?
2) Are there advantages to a regulator with air distributor vs WYE?
3) I've seen posts here that say to get longer beer lines than you think you need. Is 5' per line enough?
4) Are there any other upgrades that I haven't mentioned that are worth it?

Thanks!

I'm finally going to start kegging, but having never owned a keg setup before, I'm having trouble figuring out what I really need. I'm looking on Kegconnection.com right now and I'm going to go with a 2 keg keezer with collar setup (not picnic taps), but I'm overwhelmed by the options. Here are my main questions:

1) In general, are Taprite regulators better than Chudnow regulators?
2) Are there advantages to a regulator with air distributor vs WYE?
3) I've seen posts here that say to get longer beer lines than you think you need. Is 5' per line enough?
4) Are there any other upgrades that I haven't mentioned that are worth it?

Thanks!

1. Only used Taprite and am very happy with both regs I bought.

2. I'n not sure what that is but I have 2 regs. One is a dual pressure so I can have two gas lines at differing psi. This is useful to me.
The other reg is a single pressure reg with a distributor. Useful and easy to add to if needed.

3. Get longer lines. I upgraded from annoying 5' to smooth sailing 12'. Great for a variety of the beers I like to keep on tap, many of which require a higher level of carbonation to keep to style.

4. I didn't get Perlick faucets. I wish I had. Get SS Perlicks. Worth the extra $$

Of course the answers depend on what you have to spend. The multiple secondary regulator setup is great, if you don't mind spending the money. I have a distribution manifold without pressure control. I find it convenient to be able to shut off one keg while leaving another online. If you are only going to have the ability to have two kegs in there, then a why with shut offs would be fine. I'm contemplating a secondary regulator setup so I can dial in each keg as I see fit.

Thumbs up to the longer lines. It gives you flexibility to do higher volumes of carbonation.

If you are going with a keezer, I'd also recommend figuring out some humidity control. I have an Eva Dry 500 It helps a lot with the nuisance of keezers collecting water and frost. Make sure you put some extra attention on getting a good seal with the lid/collar and any lines you run in from the outside. Moisture that leaks in WILL condense and make a wet floor in your keezer.

A circulation fan is essential in a keezer too. The stratification of air temps leads to foaming. The temp at the top where the taps are is usually several degrees warmer than the beer. This is enough to introduce a lot of foaming, particularly on the first pour.

Thanks, that helps a lot. Gavin, can I ask why you wish you had gone with the Perlick faucets? Do they just look nicer or do they actually perform better?

A dual regulator is great. I can have an IPA at 12 psi and a soda at 30 at the same time, or a Scottish ale at 8 and a Hefeweizen at 15, etc.

ETA: You can order 50 feet (or more) of line from McMaster-Carr and save a few bucks over the LHBS.

I really like my taprite dual body regulator. Definitely worth spending that money so you don't have to upgrade later.

I'd also suggest spending extra for beer hose, specifically the ultra barrier silver beer hose. I haven't had off flavors even after the beer has sat in the hose for a few days.

Next up would be type of keg. My preference is brand new AEB ones. I have a couple and probably will pick up a few more in the future.

Thanks, that helps a lot. Gavin, can I ask why you wish you had gone with the Perlick faucets? Do they just look nicer or do they actually perform better?

The non-perlicks can get a bit stuck. An easy remedy is a dab of keg lube when assembling. Not a big deal at all. This is less of an issue (if one at all) with Perlicks. I've not used them but I do think they look better and most folks who have used both prefer the functionality of the Perlicks. I don't doubt that they are a better product.

Also I went for the cheapest option. Chrome. 2 years in, some tarnishing is evident. No impact on the beer that I can perceive. Stainless steel will not stain like that and will outlast me. A little extra cash would have avoided a small portion of buyer's remorse.

Not to be a Debbie-Downer. I'm happy with my DIY kegerator and the tower, dual reg, two tap setup I got from @kegconnection . Great products and service.

The short lines were manageable but the 12' lines I changed to a while back are an immense improvement. I like lagers and I like having them carbed to the upper range of the style. This would be problematic with that shorter lines.

My DIY two tap Danby hack.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just poured this a few minutes ago. IPA with ~2.8 volumes of CO2

attachment.php

Best of luck with your setup.

+1 for perlicks. Smoother operation and don't stick or leak like cheap taps. I wish I'd bought perlicks.

Perlick with flow control work Awesome.That would be my number 1 upgrade.You can use short lines with the flow control.Cant imagine not having them.
Sixtel kegs for me work better than cornys.My cornys are in the basement collecting dust.When you run low on homebrew or want to take a break you can by a commercial keg (same connection)
If your only going with two kegs you don't need a keezer.A regular kegerator holds 2 kegs.Just an FYI

To the OP, I think you first need to give us a budget, at least a preferred, and then also a stretching budget.

Also, do you have an idea of your future kegging desires? How often do you brew, and how much do you drink? Will you have any other cold storage other than the keezer?

If you foresee yourself needing more than just two kegs, I would go ahead and buy now with that in mind, otherwise you will end up having to buy multiple times. If you only see yourself needing two kegs on tap at a time, you can get a chest freezer than can fit 4-5 kegs plus CO2, and then always have kegs conditioning and on deck, ready to go.

If you see yourself keeping to a handful of kegs, then you can unify to just one type of keg (ball or pin), and you can get just the fittings you need. If you foresee yourself with more than a dozen or so kegs, you may want to consider a more flexible system that allows you to have both ball lock and pin lock kegs.

Do you want top of the line everything, or just certain parts?

Here is my list if you have the money for it, and are going to just stick with two kegs:
-Go ball lock, and get stainless disconnects, you can get a set for just under $30 plus shipping (this is a lower priority, but if you have the cash, stainless is nice!)
-Go with a smaller diameter PVC gas line (you don't need the colored commercial line), braided if you want the added safety margin.
-Go with Bev Seal Ultra with John Guest fittings for the disconnects and shanks. If you go with John Guest for the liquid side, it is easy enough to get more John Guest fittings for the gas side.
-If you balance the bev seal ultra properly, get Ventmatic faucets. If you don't balance, get Perlick 650ss faucets.
-Get the Taprite regulator, if you have problems, you will be able to get actual support, and they are known to be of high quality.
-If sticking with just two kegs, a Wye with check valves will be fine. If you want added flexibility, a double body regulator, with one Wye can make conditioning and different pressures very convenient, especially if you get more kegs in the future.
-Get two of the largest size CO2 tanks that are reasonable for you. They are cheaper to refill per pound, and having a backup will save you one of these days. Having a second regulator can also be of help, and it will allow you to have a second setup that is separate from the keezer, which may work well for your system.

I have been working on my serving setup for nearly 10 years now. Not everything was available back then though, so I have done a recent update to my system: 14 taps, all Perlick 650ss, stainless shanks, all John Guest fittings, Bev seal ultra, secondary regulators, 50# tanks and 20# tanks.

I started with chrome plated brass rear sealing faucets, and smaller CO2 tanks though, so give us an idea of your budget, and we can all help you stay within that budget. We can also dream and spend your money for you though!

Back