Which hops would compliment coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaMockingbird

Reaction score
I am soon to brew a coconut porter for a freind would loves both porter and coconut, for his house party later in the summer.

Can anyone suggest a hop that would compliment the flavour of coconut? I'm racking my brains on this one, but cannot make a decision.

Thanks in advance:confused:

Try Sovereign hops with a simple 60/30 or 60/15 schedule.

A true “English Noble” hop with an earthy, nutty pine aroma.

Other choices that would possibly work well are Perle, Hallertau, Kent Goldings, Mt. Hood, Tettnang, Spalt, or Tradition.

Probably just a clean bittering hop like Magnum, with not much/any late addition would be the safe route. Although I think the papaya/tropical flavors of Citra would go well with coconut, too!

I would second the magnum for clean bittering.

In my experience coconut isn't a super powerful flavor in beer, so you don't want a lot of other flavors competing with it. That aside... I have considered using Mt Rainier hops since they're described as having a licorice quality (if you're into that) but I've not had a chance to use them before.

I always get a lot of coconut aroma from Sorachi Ace

You're crazy. That hop is pure lemon rind, lemongrass, and lemony pine sole. Where the heck is Nizhnevartovsk, Tyumen Oblast and what kind of Sorachi Ace hops are being sent there?

Back