Grungeist Hops - Which Style to Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hey All,
Seldom a poster, but often a reader of HBT. As the title suggests, I have 7oz of Grungeist hops in the freezer, 2021 crop, and I am trying to determine which session style I want to brew (all grain) with them for a real summer crusher. I can brew anywhere from 3 to 12-13 gallons. I'd probably brew 8-10 for this batch.

They're described as peach, passionfruit, lemon zest, floral and berries. I used them once before in a saison and they were either mild in intensity, lost behind the yeast character, or both, because I couldn't really taste them, but for my part, I smell/taste bright peach and floral lemons. No spice or pine, definitely no berries to my palate.

I also dry hopped Ayinger Hefe in a tea tumbler with a pinch of Grungiest one time and loved the flavor; it amplified the lemon note in the base beer wonderfully.

Potential styles I had in mind:
Hefeweizen (ferment w/Wy3068)
Czech Pils (maybe toss in some South African Southern Aroma hops in there too for some noble spice/lemon/floral; ferment with Lallemand NovaLager)
"Summer" Bitter (basically a low ABV, pale bitter with Grungeist and EKG; Forest & Main outside of Philly uses Grungeist in some of their bitters to great effect; ferment w/Verdant IPA)
Sour Pale Ale (Grungiest, Citra and Wolf fermented with Philly Sour HOT to coax its peachy esters)
Saison (same as Sour Pale Ale, but at day 3 of the souring process, pitch a saison yeast--I did this with a pinot noir saison recently and managed to get both mild to moderate sourness as well as the saison flavors)

This may be blasphemy to some, but I don't love Kolsches. Not sure why, they were just never my style. I also don't love sours unless they're just kinda sour.

Thanks and Cheers!

Last edited:
Seems it's just a matter of opinion, so... I'd be looking at shandy type beer but without actually adding another liquid to a beer i.e. lemonade. Maybe a bunch of 2-row, a pinch of caramel 40 if that sounds good, and / or a pinch of Carafoam. Some 1272 American II yeast, and those hops throughout including late and whirlpool. 4.5 - 5.0% ABV and maybe 35 IBU or so.

Just an idea. Curious what others would recommend.

I had a similar experience with Grungeist — it was fine, but not that assertive, and kind of generically fruity. I think the plan for a moderately to heavily hopped Pilsner (I don’t know that I’d call it Czech) is a good one. If it were me I’d consider an adjunct lager, hopped enough to push cold IPA territory.

I have a big pet peeve regarding brrwing forums (fora?) when folks ask a question but never close the loop. So, let’s close the loop. I ended up brewing a grungeist hefe. It’s a tasty beer, but I definitely agree that something like a pils or saison would’ve been a better fit. I’ll gladly drink this keg, but for those wondering which style to brew with grungeist—keep it simple. The hops are tasty but mellow. So either keep it squeaky clean with a pils or kolsch or brew a saison with bootleg biology saison parfait to amplify
3AC7F5D1-A280-45C8-9DE0-2C2F3A0F5005.jpeg
the lemon notes from the hops.

Latest posts

Back