Where'd the Holiday Keezers Go??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enormous13

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm looking into getting a chest freezer for a keezer build, and the 5 cu. ft. Holiday chest freezers with the scallop compressor hump would really fit my needs. The ones like this:
upload_2018-1-16_0-40-1.jpeg

Problem is, I can't find the Holiday models online anymore, and all of the 5-ish cu. ft. chest freezers I'm seeing have the hump that extends all the way across. Is anyone aware of any make/model that resembles the above pic that's readily available?

I'm looking for a small space solution for kegging. I'd need room for one commercial sixth-keg (tall), along with a 5 gallon torpedo keg (or two stacked 2.5's), and I planned on a 2.5 torpedo on the hump. It looks like a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer is about as small as I can go, I think.

Thanks for the help!

Can't help with your precise question, am not familiar with Holiday freezers. If you end up going with a small freezer with a hump all the way across, you could consider putting a smaller 2.5 or 3 gallon keg on the hump. I use those kegs and love that size.

Can't help with your precise question, am not familiar with Holiday freezers. If you end up going with a small freezer with a hump all the way across, you could consider putting a smaller 2.5 or 3 gallon keg on the hump. I use those kegs and love that size.
I really like the 2.5 gallon kegs too. I've got two 2.5 torpedos already, and they match up well with smaller batches that I like making to keep a variety of beer.

To follow up, it looks like Holiday stopped producing chest freezers sometime in the last few years. I've looked at like every other major brand, and none of them have that scalloped hump design, they all just use a shelf that extends the width of the interior.

For my needs - storing a commercial sixth keg, plus two stacked 2.5 gallon torpedo kegs on the floor, and a 2.5 gallon on the hump - I arrived at the Danby 5.5 cu. ft. freezer (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-5...Chest-Freezer-in-White-DCF055A1WDB1/205470544). Based on the superthread "Chest Freezer Specs & Layout", this is the smallest I can go.

Free delivery, plus a coupon code, got me to $183 for the freezer from Best Buy.

Can’t recall the exact dimension, but I put a 9-10” collar on a 5 cf freezer years ago that allowed a sixtel to sit in the hump. I filled in the low side of the hump with an old square cooler all kegs sat at that level.

A large collar increases the capacity of those little freezers nicely.

Back