Where to find brewmasters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where to start!
I am an MBA student and have done a lot of research on the beer industry. First, why do you want to enter into a price war with the macro brewers?? I ask this because, 1. They WILL win and 2. Beer is price inelastic! Demand is NOT affected by price! This is shown in multiple studies:

Ornstein and Hanssens (1985) -0.142
Nelson (1999) -0.200
Nelson (2003) -0.174

As you lower price, demand barely moves so, in effect, you are just transferring economic value to the consumer for nothing + attracting the attention of the big brewers who will crush you if you start to gain any kind of traction!! You must keep price integrity of your respectable beer segment!

I ran multiple regressions on all types of data (California) and saw that the only thing that affects beer demand there is TPI (personal income). My results showed that overall beer demand is not affected by price BUT as people made more or less income they traded up to craft beer or down to macro swill accordingly. People will drink beer in all economic conditions; what beer they drink is only determined, more or less, by their income. Everything else was statistically insignificant!

Further:

From Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code Title 3, Ch. 12;

"Brewpubs are not allowed to distribute (self or otherwise) in Texas. Shipping breweries can self-distribute if they manufacture less than 75,000 bbls of beer per year. You need a manufacturer's license in Texas to make "beer" defined as less than 4% ABW. You need a brewer's permit to make "ale" defined as more than 4% ABW. The 75,000 bbls is calculated as total "beer" and "ale"."

So you can self-distribute as long as you aren't a brew pub or produce more than 75,000 bbls a year.
However, the 25% that distributors tack on should not be looked at in a vacuum. You must look at your ability to achieve the same market penetration for that cost. You can not due to the economies of scale and scope the distributors enjoy. This is a distributors value-add!
Even then it is highly unlikely that a distributor will pick you up until you build sales on your own (especially due to the massive consolidation in the wholesaler industry)
Good luck!

I still think it is a good idea, forget these naysayers and throw some money at it...

It is a solid idea... do it, throw some money at it... get the best of the best equipment and someone that will do all that they can to operate it efficiently, it will work.

What is solid about it?
His pricing and strategy go against the macro and microeconomic realities that exist.

It is a great idea... I think he has researched it and has a good plan. He is a business man, like he said, he should strike while the iron is hot!

No no, not me... serious, this dude needs an answer... and I am saying yes, do it, let us know how it turns out.

No no, not me... serious, this dude needs an answer... and I am saying yes, do it, let us know how it turns out.

430629113_587869e695.jpg

Or are you just looking to pick up his equipment dirt cheap when it fails?

I will be his brewmaster... no problem. I will use my HERMS as a pilot brewery... I will also put up some of my own money... on certain terms!

I don't know where to start!
I am an MBA student and have done a lot of research on the beer industry.

I appreciate your input but the data you cite is a bit too "sterile." It assumes that the beer is sold in a store next to dozens of other similar products.

First, why do you want to enter into a price war with the macro brewers?? I ask this because, 1. They WILL win

Napkin math based on this tells me that you'd have to sell about 100 milllion cans a year before reaching 1% market share. I might be a tad bit crazy, but not that crazy.

So you can self-distribute as long as you aren't a brew pub or produce more than 75,000 bbls a year.

That's almost 25 million cans of beer so I'm safe at least for the first year ;)

I say do it, even if you have to take out a second mortgage to get nice new equipment... I dont know why no one has ever tried this.

He only has to sell 200,000 cans of beer to make $100k... which will cover his operating costs for about 6 months... so he only has to sell like a half million cans of beer a year to break even. It is a great idea dude... I have only ONE other idea that is better... start your own Low Cost Airline... that would be slightly more profitable.

The data looked at all beer and then was broken down by each beer segment; including beer sold at brewpubs, as well as all on and off premise accounts.

So your strategy is to stay below the radar of the macro brewers? To make a profit on a low margin product you must push volume. As you push volume (to make any money) you will draw attention to yourself. But you haven't laid out your full plan so I can not analyze it further.

Not sure why you want to cut price on a product that is price inelastic? It should only affect demand in the short run. You are assuming beer behaves like most consumer products. It does not.

But lets say it does....

McKinsey and Company looked at this issue and found a 5% decrease in price requires a 17.5% increase in volume just to break even! This equates to a price elasticity of -3.5:1. In the real world normal consumer goods have an elasticity of -1.7:1 MAX. This is why price cutting rarely works and only results in unnecessary low margins.

You have still yet to address the health department issue.

Yet to address the health department issue??!! Yet to address the $ issue. The crap beer issue. The actually reason he believe he will make money issue. There are soooooo many issues I could bring up that it would take me a week to type them here....

He only has to sell 200,000 cans of beer to make $100k... which will cover his operating costs for about 6 months... so he only has to sell like a half million cans of beer a year to break even. It is a great idea dude... I have only ONE other idea that is better... start your own Low Cost Airline... that would be slightly more profitable.

Ummmm then if he is going to make sooooooo much money why have you not done this yet???

There is no issue, build the brewery, and start an airline, you will be having lunch with Trump in not time yo.

Ummmm then if he is going to make sooooooo much money why have you not done this yet???

I am already independently wealthy from several trust funds and my own endeavors, I simply enjoy my free time too much to tie myself down with managing another money making business. Money is not an issue for me, so I try not to complicate my life with running the rat race.

I am already independently wealthy from several trust funds and my own endeavors, I simply enjoy my free time too much to tie myself down with managing another money making business. Money is not an issue for me, so I try not to complicate my life with running the rat race.

Ohhh trust funds....in my favorite words ever spoken..."Must Be Nice"

Money is not an issue for you...wow

I think this might actually work, if the wind blows the right way. Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in the NW, there is a large population of people that actually rebel against micro culture and products, and have adopted crap beer as 'their' product. PBR sales are up huge in the last five years. So it's not really the BMC big three, but the supposedly smaller brands that have kitsch value that they are drinking.

It's not out of the question to have a local cheap beer, especially if you had a restaurant at which to serve it rather than going the distribution route. I think that a lot of the younger people, at least around here, would go for a local BMC type lager if it was the same price or cheaper than PBR and had the right marketing spin.

It is a solid idea, and he has a niche that no one else has tapped... so, like I said, aside from starting an airline, this is the next best thing.

I think this might actually work, if the wind blows the right way. Not sure about the rest of the country, but here in the NW, there is a large population of people that actually rebel against micro culture and products, and have adopted crap beer as 'their' product. PBR sales are up huge in the last five years. So it's not really the BMC big three, but the supposedly smaller brands that have kitsch value that they are drinking.

It's not out of the question to have a local cheap beer, especially if you had a restaurant at which to serve it rather than going the distribution route. I think that a lot of the younger people, at least around here, would go for a local BMC type lager if it was the same price or cheaper than PBR and had the right marketing spin.

Ya here in Boston it would never work...sorry

Wow...just wow. I am glad Revvy put on the flame suit cuz here i go. Last time i got introuble because of a tread like this and will try to keep thisas nice as possible. .
HA HA HA
I'm just going to agree with the nub...I sure don't want to flame anyone, but for the love of good beer!
If you "Don't have anything against Beer" maybe you should open a childrens shoe store across the street from a Brew Pub! If you LOVE BEER, Would kill your own sweet mother for one more swallow, Spend all day and most of the night thinking about it, and spend all of your money researching about it....maybe you have the passion for brewing....but anything else will only result in the eventual "Building for Rent" sign in the window.

Okay, there are some really clueless ppl posting in this thread, and I am not one of them, sadly.

had the right marketing spin.

The BMC category is ALL marketing and would be critical.
This is the point- Where is he going to get the money to fund this marketing? There will be no internally generated cash flow and his pockets are only so deep (except for our trust fund baby) so this strategy is not feasible.

HA HA HA
I'm just going to agree with the nub...I sure don't want to flame anyone, but for the love of good beer!
If you "Don't have anything against Beer" maybe you should open a childrens shoe store across the street from a Brew Pub! If you LOVE BEER, Would kill your own sweet mother for one more swallow, Spend all day and most of the night thinking about it, and spend all of your money researching about it....maybe you have the passion for brewing....but anything else will only result in the eventual "Building for Rent" sign in the window.

Shoe store across the street....I think I laughed so hard I woke people next door up

The BMC category is ALL marketing and would be critical.
This is the point- Where is he going to get the money to fund this marketing? There will be no internally generated cash flow and his pockets are only so deep (except for our trust fund baby) so this strategy is not feasible.

Id back this idea.

BB, I dont have to "chill out"... but thanks anyway dude.

BB, the clueless ppl are the ones pissin in this dudes wheaties... get it WINK WINK... sorry you alone took personal offense to my comment

Latest posts

Back