when to dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
Just pitched a Midwest Double IPA all grain batch. The directions say to add hops after 7 to 10 days. However, this assumes you're going to bottle after 2weeks, and normally I let my batches ferment 3 to 4 weeks. Should I still dry hop at 7 to 10 days, assuming fermentation is nearly complete, or wait another week?

Also, do I need a hop bag or can o pick the hops directly into the worth?

Thanks

There is a lot of debate on how long to dryhop. In personal experience I have found that the aroma will hit its peak at about 5 days after dryhopping. Recently I have been adding half the dryhop about 7 days before I plan to bottle/keg. 3 days later I add the second half and about 24-36 hours before I bottle/keg I cold crash the fermentor. I have been very pleased with the results.

I do racking day minus the number of days for dry hopping, therefore normally 5 days before bottling.

Also dry hopping should take place after all the fermentation is complete because C02 can scrub hop aroma and the increase avb reduces the risk of infection.

Normally this means week 3-4 is dry hop week, depending how fermentation goes.

Edit: it also depends on temperature, dry hopping times can be shorter at warmer temps. I don't cold crash so I don't have that complication.

Back