When to Add Corn Sugar-IPA Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to brewing(have only done 3 batches) and started with more general beers before I took on ones with a harder, hoppier edge. I've been reading up and came up with a recipe I think would be great for an IPA but was wondering if more experienced brewers especially with IPAs could give me a hand: my grain bill is calling for 1lb of corn sugar during the boil and I was wondering how this would affect the fermentation process and when to add the sugar during the boil. I normally add the corn sugar during the bottling phase. Perhaps doing .5lb during the boil and the other .5 during the bottling? Any suggedtions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Ps here's the recipe, any suggestions on this would be great too

5 Gal Batch
6lb LME Marris Otter
1lb corn sugar
1lb LME Munich
.38lb crystal 40
.13lb crystal 20
.06lb crystal 60

Hop Bill
1 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
1 oz citra 15 min
1 oz galaxy 1 min

Dry hop(7 days)
1 oz cascade
1 oz citra
1 oz galaxy

ABV 6.6%
IBU 93.8

I add dextrose at flame out. It will sterilize and also help drop the wort temp a small amount. A late addition as this will eliminate any kettle burn possibility. I also add LME late, if and when I do use it.

The corn sugar you add at bottling is to carbonate the beer, so if you add more than the regular 5oz or so, you will get overcabed beer or exploding bottles. When a beer recipe calls for sugar, it is to increase alcohol without adding body, essentially making a big beer dryer than it might otherwise be. When this is the case, you want to add all of your sugar during the boil. I usually add mine about 10m before the end of the boil to sanitize it. Looks like a solid recipe!

Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Back