When is this beer going to be done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99blackgt

Reaction score
Brewed an imperial stout over 3 weeks ago. 1.125 OG, 6 gallons with a blow off. The thing went absolutely nuts for about 6 days, filled a 12oz glass that i was using for a blow off and then about 2" of a 1 gallon pot that i set the glass in. It's been over 3 weeks now and it's still active. The head has dried on the top of the carboy so i can't see anything inside, but the "airlock" glass is still bubbling about 10 times a minute or a little more. I don't want to second stage too early, but i haven't been too excited about pulling off the bung if there is still head up there (like i said, i can't see in there) I've had a hands off approach to the beer thus far, but it's starting to seem odd to me.

here is the original thread with the recipe, i asked the same question in there but got no response. This area is probably more appropriate

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/handbanana-russian-imperial-112351/

I'd expect at least another month of fermentation, then 6 months to a year of conditioning.

Back