When does "light" become too light ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
This may be a vague question but I'd appreciate your opinion...
When I started brewing all my regular quaffer beers were just over 5% abv (+-1.052ish).
Belgian Wit, California Common, Bohemian pils, APA, Brown ale etc - all 5%
Lately Ive reduced that to +-4% abv/ 1.040 so that I can glug a few with getting too hammered.
Ive considered going down to about 3.5% for a light lager (for those 35*C summer days).
I assume at some stage quality will be sacrificed if the beer is too light.
How do you choose your OG / abv ? What is too light for a light lager ?

I brew a 1.035 bitter. It's one of my favorites and clocks in around 3.4%. There's a time for both high ABV and low ABV. This bitter is great for weeknights because I can have a few without feeling it in morning. It's also great on a hot day.

When scaling down a recipe, keep any specialty malts the same, and just decrease the base malt. Or if you aren't using any, consider adding a small amount of some. A quarter pound of a specialty malt (including wheat) can have a big affect in a low OG beer

I brewed a 10 gal batch of Northern Brown with 1.055 OG and ~21 IBUs and then deleted it with water down to 15 gallons Mild with 1.035 OG and 14 IBUs ;D

I've found that 5% rye can give a real flavor boost to a small beer. I've had decent beers that were only 2.5% ABV.

This may be a vague question but I'd appreciate your opinion...
When I started brewing all my regular quaffer beers were just over 5% abv (+-1.052ish).
Belgian Wit, California Common, Bohemian pils, APA, Brown ale etc - all 5%
Lately Ive reduced that to +-4% abv/ 1.040 so that I can glug a few with getting too hammered.
Ive considered going down to about 3.5% for a light lager (for those 35*C summer days).
I assume at some stage quality will be sacrificed if the beer is too light.
How do you choose your OG / abv ? What is too light for a light lager ?

Extraordinary question and one that raises a great point.
Long ago and far away I judged beer by alcohol strength and black patent malt usage. That was the 1980's. I think of those years as my beer making adolescence when my tastes were sufficiently immature and unsophisticated that I was simply unable to discern the finer things. So I defaulted to the gross things. Now, years later, I'm more about the trivial things. I find that too much alcohol and strong flavors step all over the finer characteristics of a beer.

So how light? Well if your beer is crisp, refreshing, possessed of gorgeous aroma and flavors, then you have no reason to question your beer. Have more instead.

Low alcohol commercial beers have scared me a bit but I guess even regular abv commercial beers are scary.
My next brew is going to be a 3% lager - Im going to need a 1L beerfest mug ! :mug:

Back