wheat beer carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwendel

Reaction score
I am planning to bottle my 3rd batch wheat beer tonight and have a priming question...

On my last 2 batches I feel like the carbonation could have been higher, and for a wheat beer I definitely don't want it to be at all flat. My LHBS suggested 5oz, I think, but the cornsugar bag they gave me only weighs out to 4oz on my scale. I am considering using table sugar to give the bottles more carb, but am hoping for some opinions from all the experience on this board!

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, especially in terms of quantity of sugar to add.

Yes, 5 ounces would be nice in a wheat beer for a slightly higher carb level but not too high. You can sub regular sugar instead of corn sugar, using a tiny bit less of the regular sugar for the whole batch (4.8 ounces using all table sugar).

To add one ounce, adding the full ounce of table sugar would be fine.

I am planning to bottle my 3rd batch wheat beer tonight and have a priming question...

On my last 2 batches I feel like the carbonation could have been higher, and for a wheat beer I definitely don't want it to be at all flat. My LHBS suggested 5oz, I think, but the cornsugar bag they gave me only weighs out to 4oz on my scale. I am considering using table sugar to give the bottles more carb, but am hoping for some opinions from all the experience on this board!

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, especially in terms of quantity of sugar to add.

I am assuming that this was a 5 gallon batch?

I am wanting to Carb 3 gallon batch and the last one I did I carbed with Honey, and it was nearly flat... I used one of the carbing calculators but maybe my mistake was weighing the honey instead maybe they meant by volume?

I wouldn't mind maybe doing a half honey, half sugar carb for 3 gallons next time round.

Latest posts

Back