Priming Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuniorR

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I’ve just started homebrewing and am looking at doing my first batch of Ginger Beer. Most recipes I have seen suggest letting your brew ferment dry (to about 4-6%) before adding priming sugar and bottling it.
The problem I am having is that I am unsure how much priming sugar to add. I have read a lot of things recommending 1oz. of sugar per gallon. I am unsure, however, whether this would ferment dry in the bottle or if it will create a sweet ginger beer (which is my goal). Would this dosage make a sweet final product with enough carbonation (after pasteurisation) or would more sugar be required for some sweetness?

Welcome to our forums!
I moved your thread/post to our Coffee & Soda forum, Ginger Beer is not "beer."

You're doing 2 different fermentations. One to make alcohol, the second to carbonate your bottles.

First, you ferment your ginger ale, until it's completely finished. Takes about a week, could be longer, depending on temperature and a dozen other factors. When there's no more activity, no more little bubbles rising to the surface, no more airlock activity, etc. you take 2 gravity reading, 2 or 3 days apart. If they match, and the measured gravity is between 0.996 and 1.000, it's likely done. Time to bottle.

If your ginger beer is very clean no chunks, debris, and such, you could prime in the fermentation vessel. If there is any residue on the bottom or chunks floating and such, rack the clear soda into a separate "bottling" vessel (bucket), leaving the residue behind. It would be handy if the bottling vessel (bucket) has a spigot, to which you attach a bottling wand.

To bottle, you add a measured amount* of pre-dissolved priming sugar to the bottling vessel.** Rack your ginger beer on top of that, so it mixes. When all is transferred, mix it again making sure the priming sugar is evenly distributed. Then bottle it immediately.

In the capped bottles that's where the 2nd fermentation takes place, carbonating your ginger ale, and pressurizing them. Keep them at room temps to facilitate that.

* Here's a calculator of how much priming sugar to add:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/Read the notes on the bottom of that page.

How much priming sugar to add depends on your bottles, their size, and how strong they are. You don't want them to explode. Aiming for 2.5 volumes is about the max for 12 oz glass long necks.

** You may need to add a little yeast to your bottling bucket to make sure the priming sugar ferments.

I am unsure, however, whether this would ferment dry in the bottle or if it will create a sweet ginger beer (which is my goal).
Priming sugar will all ferment out. There's no simple way to stop it.
The more sugar you add, the more carbonation you get, until your bottles explode.

If you want sweet(er) ginger beer, add some simple syrup (not plain sugar, it will create tons of foam) to your glass before or after pouring.

Alternatively, you could add an artificial sugar such as Xylitol to sweeten your soda in the bottle, regular yeast can't ferment it.
But I'd stay all natural, if you asked me.

Back