What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Am_I_an_Engineer.JPG

You mean you need a screwdriver to be an engineer???:D

I have a B.S. in Architectural Engineering (1 yr off from PE) and design MEP/FP for buildings.

I dream of seeing building automation controllers used for brew systems :)

I dream of seeing building automation controllers used for brew systems :)

Since I'm a mechanic, I dream of finding an automotive engineer who puts even the tiniest bit of thought into how to go about fixing the piece of crap they engineered.

They must feel they engineer them to never break. :drunk:

what about using them for fridge controllers?

i mean....i didn't say anything....

People are already using building controls vendors for them.... i.e. Johnson Controls A419 as a super basic model :)

There's more impressive controllers that can get feedback from all of your sensors, pumps, etc. and you can essentially brew plug-n-play straight to software on your computer.

Since I'm a mechanic, I dream of finding an automotive engineer who puts even the tiniest bit of thought into how to go about fixing the piece of crap they engineered.

you never want to be an automotive engineer.. i thought i did until i interned at one place designing for automotive.. it blew... so much bureaucracy that goes in in those places... more than others i believe..

you never want to be an automotive engineer.. i thought i did until i interned at one place designing for automotive.. it blew... so much bureaucracy that goes in in those places... more than others i believe..

Last time I was sent out to Cali for training at headquarters, the engineering studio is right next door, I tried to get in but it was locked down solid, they must have known I was going to find one of them and kick their ass.

lol, yeah, i wanted to do that a few times, because of problems with my $hit box.. i realized that going through all that its not the engineers fault its more or less the companies because its a giant money game. how can we do this for the cheapest amount?

but i would rather not get anymore into this.. i have way to many opinions about the whole market...

yes i highlight opinions because i don't want to start a debate of this topic.

People are already using building controls vendors for them.... i.e. Johnson Controls A419 as a super basic model :)

There's more impressive controllers that can get feedback from all of your sensors, pumps, etc. and you can essentially brew plug-n-play straight to software on your computer.

i know. i work for JCI. lets just say, i DON'T have an A419 controlling my fridge (or ferm heater) :)

also, the A419 is not a building automation controller, it's a temp controller.

I've got an Infiniti G35 (smallish sport coupe) that is a friggin bear to work on. Just changing the brake pads or in-cabin air filter is major surgery. So, while I don't like the engineer-bashing, I've gotta agree with your statement about autos.

Manufacturing Engineer here. Can't believe there's almost 40% engineers replied to this thread - I guess the thread title might attract them.

Either way, there's lots of other technically related skills & jobs that aren't dubbed "engineers" as well as lots of non-engineering related jobs that are dubbed "engineers"...

< paramedic, but my dad(mechanical/chemical) and brother(software) engineer, and my son is at Penn State for civil/environmental engineering. So it's all good.

beerloaf

Bachelor's degre in EE from U of Delaware, 1980. But my current occupation is not engineering.

Ever get your hands inside the new Beetle's engine? It makes me wanna learn to curse in German...:rolleyes:

I've got an Infiniti G35 (smallish sport coupe) that is a friggin bear to work on. Just changing the brake pads or in-cabin air filter is major surgery. So, while I don't like the engineer-bashing, I've gotta agree with your statement about autos.

Try a PT Cruiser. You need a degree to replace the battery.

Same in Texas. If you receive approval to take the exam and pass, then you are a "engineer".

Did that person pass the fundamentals of engineering exam? If so, that person would be called "graduate engineer".

I think there are 2 valid realms of engineers, one where the PE is important, and one where it is less so. If you're in the more physical realm of civil, mech, petro, etc, then it's a big deal, if you're in the realm of electrical, computer, software, it's less so. I'm not worried about the government coming after me for self-identifying as an engineer on a resume that I submit to a private company not working on contracts for the public sector, just because I haven't taken the PE exam that largely isn't relevant to the type of work I do.

this also begs the question as to whether a programmer is an engineer. it's debatable, I suppose. I'd come down on "yes, programmers are engineers" side of that debate, though.

thegerm said:
I think there are 2 valid realms of engineers, one where the PE is important, and one where it is less so. If you're in the more physical realm of civil, mech, petro, etc, then it's a big deal, if you're in the realm of electrical, computer, software, it's less so. I'm not worried about the government coming after me for self-identifying as an engineer on a resume that I submit to a private company not working on contracts for the public sector, just because I haven't taken the PE exam that largely isn't relevant to the type of work I do.

this also begs the question as to whether a programmer is an engineer. it's debatable, I suppose. I'd come down on "yes, programmers are engineers" side of that debate, though.

BSEE University of Louisville 2010
MEngEE University of Louisville 2011

I worked as an electrical designer for a consulting engineering firm during my undergrad (notice I use the term electrical designer, not engineer). In that arena, a PE stamp meant the possibility of partnership. Now I work with PhD EE candidates in a $30M cleanroom who plan on working for Intel, IBM, etc. in the near future for six figure salaries who couldn't care less about a PE stamp. The need for a stamp only depends on the facet of industry into which an engineer would like to enter. I don't plan on working in an industry that requires me to have a PE, but I went ahead and passed the FE just in case.

The debate regarding whether or not a programmer is an engineer can be cleared up by answering a simple question: does the programmer have an engineering degree?

You mean you need a screwdriver to be an engineer???:D

When I made that diagram (while back), I had in my mind that a real engineer is differentiated from a scientist by his pragmatism. That is, applied science, not pure science.

So, the 4th input to my AND gate requires that the individual in question is capable of picking up a tool and using it, not merely proposing that it can be used. An engineer will pick up that screwdriver, a scientist will not (in general... I know the physicist brewer is about to tear me apart).

Never heard of a BE. My engineering degree is a BS.

My university graduated mostly BE's (about 55% of the graduating Bachelors BE's of some flavor - ME, EE, BME, etc) maybe about 25-30% were BS's from the School of Science or one of the other schools - Management, Archatecure and Humanitys+Social Sciences. I'm not sure what all the Management majors, and Archie's or HSS majors were, I know some who had math intensive were BS's, but not what they all were.

As for my comment about about it also being a state of mind - well you can do engineering but still not think like an engineer - there is a whole subculture like video gamers or goth or HomeBrewing....

But yes you have to have the degree to truely be an engineer in occupation... but that isn't all of it.

BSEE University of Louisville 2010
MSEE University of Louisville 2011

I worked as an electrical designer for a consulting engineering firm during my undergrad (notice I use the term electrical designer, not engineer). In that arena, a PE stamp meant the possibility of partnership. Now I work with PhD EE candidates in a $30M cleanroom who plan on working for Intel, IBM, etc. in the near future for six figure salaries who couldn't care less about a PE stamp. The need for a stamp only depends on the facet of industry into which an engineer would like to enter. I don't plan on working in an industry that requires me to have a PE, but I went ahead and passed the FE just in case.

The debate regarding whether or not a programmer is an engineer can be cleared up by answering a simple question: does the programmer have an engineering degree?

IS a BS an engineering degree if it is a Bachelors of SCIENCE??? I have a BS (in Physics)...

But if you are a EE and program, then that's an engineer, if it is a computer scientist, I'd guess not. Although computer systems engineer would count.

ACbrewer said:
IS a BS an engineering degree if it is a Bachelors of SCIENCE??? I have a BS (in Physics)...

But if you are a EE and program, then that's an engineer, if it is a computer scientist, I'd guess not. Although computer systems engineer would count.

It's a BSEE.

-Aaron

image-2311476370.jpg

Not an engineer but close enough, I repair ATCALS equipment, ATCALS stands for Air Traffic Control and Landing Systems. My branch under ATCALS is Airfield Systems where I maintain Meteorological, Navigational, and Radio systems.

The systems I work on are:
ILS, Instrument Landings Systems
TACAN, Tactical Air Navigational System
ETVS, Enhanced Terminal Voice Systems
DVRS, Digital Voice Recording Systems
Air to Ground Radio Systems
Full weather station.

A few weeks away from from Bachelor's in Philosophy and Biochemistry, separate majors. Then I'm free from school...for about a week until I start an MCAT review course. Brewing is one of the few things preventing me from saying screw it all and moving to a small island in the south pacific to fish and forage for the rest of my days.

A few weeks away from from Bachelor's in Philosophy and Biochemistry, separate majors. Then I'm free from school...for about a week until I start an MCAT review course. Brewing is one of the few things preventing me from saying screw it all and moving to a small island in the south pacific to fish and forage for the rest of my days.

do it ill join you!!!!!! life would be so much easier.. (bring all the supplies to brew) and we are golden!

I'm down as long as one of you engineering folks can set up a cheap, island portable, effective means of temp control which also runs on wind or solar energy. I mean really, what else is engineering even for? What good is getting to the moon if I can't brew on a remote island on the cheap?

Latest posts

Back