Whats the most expensive batch you have brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Just curious as to what the most expensive batch you have brewed is? I feel like im always talking to people who get into homebrewing to "save" money and then they realize that is a myth haha. My most expensive batch was 10 gallons on an imperial stout that I brewed with Kopi Luwak coffee and aged it on oak chips that were soaked in Pappy Van Winkle 15yr. The batch was close to $150 when it was all said and done. It was for a buddies wedding though which is why it was brewed.

My first RIS was the Old Rasputin clone published in BYO. $77 for 5 gallon batch and worth every penny.

My wedding imperial stout would've also been damned expensive, if I didn't "borrow" the malt from work. 10 gallons worked out to over 45 lbs of grain, plus 4 lbs. brown sugar and a tin of oats ($10 from the grocery store), and a $80 3-gallon bourbon barrel. It would've easily topped $120 as well. Next would be the silly triple IPA I did. A pound and a half of hops does that.

Ive also done a few DIPA's where I'm like damn this beer better come out! I just did a 10 gallon batch of an all Citra DIPA that used 20oz of hops after it was all said and done with the dry hopping etc. Batch was close to $100. Thankfully I had washed some San Diego Super yeast to reuse so I didnt need to buy that.

My wedding imperial stout would've also been damned expensive, if I didn't "borrow" the malt from work. 10 gallons worked out to over 45 lbs of grain, plus 4 lbs. brown sugar and a tin of oats ($10 from the grocery store), and a $80 3-gallon bourbon barrel. It would've easily topped $120 as well. Next would be the silly triple IPA I did. A pound and a half of hops does that.

my last extract batch ever was a barleywine that i have been aging. i think it was around 65-70 bucks, and that doesn't include hops

Who wouldn't agree though that the price of the beer that you are brewing is still way cheaper than buying that type of specialty beer at the store when you start stepping out into the crazier stuff? I think my most expensive is still pretty cheap at around 55 bucks, but I haven't stepped out into the wild stuff yet.

Who wouldn't agree though that the price of the beer that you are brewing is still way cheaper than buying that type of specialty beer at the store when you start stepping out into the crazier stuff? I think my most expensive is still pretty cheap at around 55 bucks, but I haven't stepped out into the wild stuff yet.

yeah it's way cheaper with regards to ingredients, but spreading out the cost of equipment, I have probably broken even if i'm lucky :fro:

Just curious as to what the most expensive batch you have brewed is? I feel like im always talking to people who get into homebrewing to "save" money and then they realize that is a myth haha. My most expensive batch was 10 gallons on an imperial stout that I brewed with Kopi Luwak coffee and aged it on oak chips that were soaked in Pappy Van Winkle 15yr. The batch was close to $150 when it was all said and done. It was for a buddies wedding though which is why it was brewed.

10 gallons is roughly 48 22-oz bombers. An oak-aged imperial stout typically runs in, say, the $7 range (I know they vary widely, but that should be middle of the road).

So your $150 batch is the equivalent of $336 worth of equivalent commercial beer.

Sounds like it saved money!

iipa made with hops that you can't get in europe and were in short supply in the americas. didn't add up the total cost (shipping etc), just cherished every sip
next up: keystone light clone

Ive also done a few DIPA's where I'm like damn this beer better come out! I just did a 10 gallon batch of an all Citra DIPA that used 20oz of hops after it was all said and done with the dry hopping etc. Batch was close to $100. Thankfully I had washed some San Diego Super yeast to reuse so I didnt need to buy that.

Damn dude! That's like 19 wheels on a big rig or filming a movie at 5000 frames per second!

Hopslam clone was around $60 bucks. So much hops and other ingredients really jacked the price up. Brewing this made me realize why they charge more for commercial DIPA beers.

Did a 6 gallon Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, had to use a few pounds of extract due to grain bill size. I also split the batch and put half on Bourbon Oak chips. It was close to 70 bucks altogether

I made an unearthly clone that ran me about $80 or so after all the grain, yeast, hops etc... Turned out really good though, I'd definitely like to brew it again. And a ten gallon hop head red clone that cost around $120 but that was split with a buddy so it wasn't too heavy on my wallet

Fruit beers - especially a raspberry stout I made at one point - I like to use organic fresh fruit.

Hops are nothing to me anymore since I found hops direct - I just brewed a session ipa with 10 oz s came out so good - buying by the pound for 9-10$ works out just fine

Soaked in Pappy?? Oh my. Never had the 15 year, but the 20 year is like drinking delicious whiskey butter.

I have a bottle of 20yr but i couldnt bring myself to soak oak chips in it. In fairness I did drink the 15yr bourbon I soaked the chips in. It had crazy oak tannins in it but at $90 a bottle I felt bad dumping it haha. The 20yr is freaking amazing by the way!

Soaked in Pappy?? Oh my. Never had the 15 year, but the 20 year is like drinking delicious whiskey butter.

The more honey, the higher the price.

Most expensive may be yet to come. We'll see what cherries cost in a few weeks.

As of now, probably 50-60 bucks is the most expensive.

Back