What's in your soup kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you post the recipe for that? Does anyone else use your smallest brew kettle for soup? My 5 gallon kit kettle is now my go to soup kettle.

I didn't post it, but this is the recipe I used from Serious Eats.

I had some leftover frozen short ribs, some additonal short rib bones, and the leftover frozen bones and back rib meat from Christmas prime rib, so I used all that rather than the chuck they called for. Very beefy result, and very good.

I haven't used any of my big pots for soup yet. I have a 32 qt kettle I no longer use for brewing that I'm thinking about using for a big (~5 gal) batch of pho stock. Then I can just freeze portions and make pho a 30 minute process instead of a 6 hour process....

Red lentil soup,

image.jpeg

It's that time of year for soup.

I made some homemade Tonkotsu Ramen over the holiday week since we had a few extra days off from work - the broth base is a 24-hour bone broth made from pork hocks and chicken carcasses to extract all the delicious collagen, based loosely on the serious eats tonkotsu broth. Homemade from scratch ramen noodles; then topped with green onions, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, bok choy and braised ox tail meat. I usually add a soft-boiled egg but ran out of time for this batch. Definitely worth the time for all the flavors!

I'm going to have to try that Taiwanese Beef soup recipe this week - I've been craving a bowl of their night market beef soup and luckily have some beef cheeks waiting to be used in the freezer!

20161228_163859.jpg

Split pea with ham. Leftover ham from Xmas. Had to use it up.

Fried some homemade bacon and used the grease to saute onion and thinly sliced carrots. Then added chicken broth, dried peas and finely diced potatoes. Cooked potatoes and peas until tender then added diced ham and chopped bacon.

Seasoned to taste with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Served with sourdough bread, but honestly the two did not go well together IMO. I mean, I still ate it, but...

SWMBO has potato soup on the menu for tonight. She was even nice enough to buy scallions and a package of bacon to dress it up.

Wife made Beef Stew yesterday. I asked her to try it with Broccoli. It was pretty good, but she forgot to add the peas!

Ate it with sourdough. Time to get back on my diet. I couldn't help but to have a second serving.

Anyone have a GOOD recipe for egg drop soup? My wife's ex-boyfriend's mom supposedly made the best stuff and I'd like to try to make it as good as she remembers. We've tried a couple of times in the past, but it's never that good.

Anyone have a GOOD recipe for egg drop soup? My wife's ex-boyfriend's mom supposedly made the best stuff and I'd like to try to make it as good as she remembers. We've tried a couple of times in the past, but it's never that good.

You're competing with your wife's ex-boyfriend's mom? Tell her to forget she ever had that soup.

You're competing with your wife's ex-boyfriend's mom? Tell her to forget she ever had that soup.

I know, right?

I guess I don't mind. She has her past and I have mine and I couldn't suggest she forget about her happy memories. I guess his mom also made great fried chicken. Haven't figured that one out either.

I actually made that soup from Wokoflife the other day. Turned out good, although I didn't really follow it very closely. Just enough to get the idea. I Left out any cornstarch because she said she didn't like "eggy" egg drop soup. More brothy.

One thing I noticed was that the whites kind of clumped up. I couldn't drizzle the whites in slow enough to get thin strips. There were lots of glumps falling in.

Other than that the flavor was really good.

Need another soup recipe idea. I got beans and hocks cooking all day in the crock pot. I'm probably the only person in the house who will want to eat that.

Beans and hocks in soup is very good.

Try drizzling you egg off the back of a dinner fork. The tines of the fork help break up the egg stream. Keep the fork and bowl with the eggs moving to keep the strings thin.

Beat the the heck out of that egg first too, really incorporate whites/yolks. Or, try the Eggbeaters stuff - it's only whites and it's already one great consistency throughout, no gloppy parts.

LOVE beans and hocks - have two hocks in the freezer and just bought a bag of blackeyed peas. Those go together like kids and mudpies!

WAY too much meat in the beans! I had to pull some of it out and put it in the fridge for another meal. Really like some beans with fried egg on top and toast for breakfast.

Not sure whether or not to put this in the "soup" thread or not... Since it's only partially soup.

Anyone ever try making Xiao Long Bao (Shanghai soup dumplings)?

Basically you make a bone broth soup that extracts enough gelatin from the bones that when you chill the broth, it turns into meat jello. Or, if you want to cheat, you can add unflavored gelatin to the broth and do it the easy way.

Once you've got the "meat jello", you mix it in with your dumpling filling, package it into very thin dumpling wrappers, and steam it. The steam re-liquifies the soup and you end up with a heavenly little satchel of meat and soup in a dumpling wrapper.

This is not mine BTW:

XiaoLongBaoSoup.jpg

That's how it's supposed to work, anyway. My first attempt didn't quite get there lol...

16423015_444795372577823_6865234393720163299_o.jpg

Basically I couldn't roll out the dough thin enough and then accurately pleat the dumplings together. So I rolled the dough out a little larger and thicker, which then meant that the dough soaked up most of the soup and became, well, doughy.

Need more practice. LOTS more practice.

Farley Mowat ... Never Cry Wolf author. When he lived with the wolves he saw they were eating mice so he did too. I had a bite of Bandicoot once when I lived in New Guinea. Bush Rat. But not trash fed. Fed from the gardens in the rainforest.

Kale with sausage balls, white beans, onions, garlic, carrots, yellow and white pepper. Seasoned with oregano and white pepper.

Nicknamed: make you poop soup

16388153_1244438868954493_4759449529510654513_n.jpg

Made posole in the crockpot earlier in the week. Pork shoulder, belly, and hominy. Verrrrry fatty. The leftovers got a thick layer of fat that could be removed. No picture :-(

The pork was on sale, and we made that, meatballs, and 5 pounds of breakfast sausage.

Wife wanted Egg Drop soup again, so I made it for Superbowl Party (Not really a party, just 3 of us watching the game and commercials while the youngest went to a friend's house until 10:00 when her driving priv. expired for the day).

Anyway, the egg ended up "scrambled" again, not streaming. Maybe the soup it too hot when I add it? I used an immersion blender to break up the thick chunks and it streamed fine into the pan, but ended up looking like fine scrambled eggs.

Tasted good though. I'm thinking about trying it with carrots and kale.

You could add some kind of egg noodle, or my friend said to get the water spinning before adding the egg to consolidate it. Haven't tried that

I made a pot of pozole yesterday, to use up a big can of hominy that's been in my pantry for over a year mocking me, and a small package of "country style pork ribs" from the freezer. I've never made the stuff before. I didn't really follow the recipe, but I used this as a guide: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-and-hominy-stew-with-red-chiles-pozole-rojo-101285

It turned out pretty good, but the New Mexico chili peppers I bought had no heat at all. (so I add cayenne to my bowl) It should taste better tonight.

Going to add a can of black beans (rinsed) and a couple of ground-up dried chipotle peppers when I heat it back up tonight.

I made a pot of pozole yesterday, to use up a big can of hominy that's been in my pantry for over a year mocking me, and a small package of "country style pork ribs" from the freezer. I've never made the stuff before. I didn't really follow the recipe, but I used this as a guide: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-and-hominy-stew-with-red-chiles-pozole-rojo-101285

It turned out pretty good, but the New Mexico chili peppers I bought had no heat at all. (so I add cayenne to my bowl) It should taste better tonight.

Going to add a can of black beans (rinsed) and a couple of ground-up dried chipotle peppers when I heat it back up tonight.

We used this recipe as a jumping off point:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015760-new-mexican-pozole

We used 2 poblanos and a jalepeno, all charred and skinned, then seeded and pureed. It still needed some additional heat (we have a ton of homegrown dried Thai chilis). It could have used another poblano probably.

We also bought a large shoulder (on sale) and used about a pound of that and a half pound of seasoned belly (bacon-like, but not cured). Country style ribs would be good in it, though!

This is my chicken posole version - easy starting with a rotisseried chicken! This one makes a red broth and is really delicious.

Temptd2's Easy Chicken Posole

1 Costco Rotisseried Chicken
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic
about 1/3 of a large fresh green Poblano pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
12 oz. Mexican beer
Water to cover

6 dried chiles (I used poblano, negro, California, couple small Japanese)
2 cups resulting broth from cooking chicken carcass

3 cups (1 large can) white Mexican-style hominy

Garnish:

Shredded cabbage
Sliced radishes
Sliced green onions
Thinly Sliced fresh Serrano or jalapeno peppers
Chopped cilantro
Fresh limes, preferably the Mexican kind if you can find them, quartered

Remove and discard skin from chicken. Pull off meat from breast and thighs, shred, and set aside. Put remaining bones (legs, thighs, wings, carcass) into a 6 quart pressure cooker. Add beer, onion, garlic, Poblano pepper, oregano, cumin, and salt. Cover and bring to high pressure; cook 40 minutes. Let pressure reduce naturally. Alternatively, put all into a big stock pot, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook a couple hours, til you get a rich stock.

Remove pan from heat and let cool 30 minutes or so. Defat the broth if desired - I do this using a 1 cup steel measure cup, carefully skimming the top of the broth into one of those defatting measuring cups, and pouring the broth back into the stockpot, stopping when the fat is about to pour in!

Either strain the stock off from the bones, or use a spider to scoop out the solids from the broth. Remove any meat that is still fit to eat and set aside with the meat from the first step.

Preheat oven to 200*. Pull off stems and shake out seeds from the dried chiles. Put chiles on a small foil-lined baking sheet and into the oven for about 8 minutes, to soften. Remove, let cool, and tear into big pieces; put into blender container and ladle in 2 cups of the hot stock. Let stand 20 minutes, then blend til very smooth.

Add the contents of the blender back into the stock in the pot; add the drained hominy and the meat (I had about 20 ounces of nice chicken meat to add back to mine) and stir well. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed - mine needed more salt, oregano, and cumin. Bring back to a simmer and let cook about 10 minutes, to soften the hominy up a bit.

While heating, prepare your garnishes as above.

When ready to serve, ladle into large soup bowls, pass the garnishes so everybody can doctor the soup up to their taste. We always have hot sauce on the table too so you can adjust the heat level to your liking.

You can make this with turkey too - I used the carcass from a rotisseried turkey breast to make the stock, then cut up the leftover breast meat.

Took the leftover aujus from steaming a Superbowl pastrami (after smoking it) and made a French Onion soup, but added mushrooms to it. It is great with some smokiness and saltiness. I'll add picture later.

Pastrami on the smoker, soon heading to the steamer:
16508698_1246320868766293_5001721136420392964_n.jpg

And the soup:
16640553_1250316355033411_6857773960790719819_n.jpg

Another big pot of chicken stock started, will simmer thought the night and into tomorrow, strained, some frozen, some made into soup, I love soup!

Back