Bacon-Potato Chowder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Following is the original recipe from Land-O-Lakes. After enjoying this on especially grey days for over 25 years, I can tell you that this is a GREAT hot lunch or supper on a cold day!

Following the recipe, I'll list a few variations that I employ when making this.

Bacon Potato Chowder

2009-10-06_124022_bacon-potato_chowder.jpg

8 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch slices
6 medium (2 cups) new red potatoes, cubed 1/2-inch
2 medium (1 cup) onions, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups milk (the "new" recipe uses half-and-half)
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (8-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until done; add potatoes and onions. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender (10 to 15 minutes).

Add all remaining ingredients. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through (5 to 10 minutes).

Note - the cooking times aren't quite right - each step will probably take a little longer than it says they will, and the chowder will ultimately be done when the potatoes are, of course.

In my opinion, red, waxy potatoes are essential for this; Yukon Gold might work. The floury baking potatoes just don't seem to have good results. I peel the potatoes, but that's your choice.

When I make this, I always double the bacon - at least. 8 slices just isn't enough. I also generally add a little extra thyme and black pepper. Nearly always, I'll add 3 or 4 cloves of minced or pressed garlic. Sometimes, I'll add other herbs, such as chives or marjoram, but these aren't really necessary.

To turn this into a really good clam chowder, just add a couple of cans of clams, broth and all. If you have access to fresh ones, so much the better.

I hope you enjoy this, if you try it -

Ron

Last edited:
I may have to try this with papa seca amarilla. (Peruvian dried yellow potatoes) They have a texture that holds up well.

Sounds like a good plan - if you do so, please let us know what you think of it.

This is truly a family favourite, one of the first things that my wife and I learned to cook together when we were starting out. To me, the only flaw is the canned cream of chicken soup - but, if I tried, I am sure that I could find an acceptable "home-made" workaround for that...possibly and equal amount of home-made chicken stock combined with heavy cream?

Anyway - very good stuff...worth a try!

Yes, homemade stock and cream. Light roux made with butter or some chicken fat. Fat free Half&Half works surprising well too if adding other fats.

Using dried potato what works best for me is to partially rehydrate then cook them in just stock or bone broth. They will suck up quite a bit. A little potato starch or even Idahoan potato flakes can be used near the end if its not thick enough.

Last edited:
Back