What's in your soup kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temptd2

Gadget Gal
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's about soup weather here! Share your favorite/best soup recipes please!

This one will be first up for me this year:

Temptd2's Indian-influenced Butternut Squash Soup

2 pound butternut squash
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon chicken stock paste or granules or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 quart water
1 can regular or lite coconut milk
1 tablespoon vindaloo paste (or other curry paste you like)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Chile pepper flakes to taste (optional, depending on how hot you like things!)

Poke a couple holes into the cavity of the butternut squash. I try to get one that is mostly "neck" and not much "bulb" end. Roast in a 350* oven til tender when pierced with a sharp knife or cooking fork. Remove and let cool. Cut squash in half, remove and save the seeds; peel and cut squash into cubes about 1 to 2". Set aside.

Heat the oils in a 6 quart stockpot. Add the onion and stir to coat, then cook over medium heat til just becoming translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook til tender but not browned. Add the squash cubes and stir to coat with the oil, let cook a couple minutes.

Add the chicken stock paste, vindaloo paste and garam masala to the pan - stir well to loosen up the pastes and coat the veggies. Let cook a couple minutes. Add the white wine and bring to a fast simmer - let cook til the wine has reduced slightly. Add the water and coconut milk and the cilantro, and some freshly ground pepper and about a teaspoon of salt. Add some chile flakes too if you want them. Bring back to a simmer and let it cook about 10 to 20 minutes over low to medium heat, covered. Stir occasionally to keep it from scorching.

Use an immersion blender and remove pan from heat, then blend til everything is pureed and pretty smooth. You can also transfer the soup to a blender to do this part if you don't have an immersion blender - it may take a a couple batches though. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, if you like, and/or a couple fresh cilantro leaves, and/or sliced green onions; and we happen to like bacon bits in ours!

Makes about 10 cups.

butternut squash soup.jpg

I love it that it is getting cool enough for soup.

One very easy fall soup recipe is apple parsnip soup. Easy. A couple of tart apples of your choice, two or three parsnips ( I like three or even more). chop everything up, and simmer it in either chicken stock or even water .I like to use my homemade stock. When the apples and parsnips are super soft. Put it in a blender until it is very smooth. Back into the pan and add some butter to smooth it out and add a little nutmeg ( fresh grated of course). Adjust the salt and you are done. mmmmm so good.

Great soup. If you like more apple then use more apple. I like more parsnip so I usually use more parsnip and only a couple apples.

I made pho last Sunday. I used the Serious Eats recipe with slight modifications...

My girlfriend has a poultry allergy, so she has never had pho. Granted, pho should always be beef broth, but sometimes it's hard to trust restaurants not to cut corners. So I figured that the first time I make it, and the first time she eats it, might as well be the same thing...

Of course, the weather didn't cooperate. It was ~90 degrees here in Southern California ;)

-I omitted beef shin and increased the proportion of oxtail because I couldn't find shin
-I omitted chuck and doubled the brisket
-I skipped coriander
-I used filet instead of flank during serving

14566586_1650087191969782_8020046002947883008_n.jpg

Does anybody make their own pork stock/broth, and have soup recipes for it? In the fall, I bbq lots of pork (ribs, bone-in butts etc) seems like the bones would make for some good soup base.

Does anybody make their own pork stock/broth, and have soup recipes for it? In the fall, I bbq lots of pork (ribs, bone-in butts etc) seems like the bones would make for some good soup base.

I've used pork bones many time, same as any other stock maybe a little extra skimming.

I save bones and veggie trimmings till I need stock and then freestyle.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476404324.717426.jpg
Stock from the weekend,
Became kabanosy and kale soup,
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476404449.432291.jpg
Last weekend was a cheddar and bacon soup,View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476404523.578300.jpg
So rich, not my normal style but it was delicious!

I make soup all the time. It's the family favorite during 3/4 of the year.

Last week was Chicken Corn Chowder again (Wife's favorite, so I made it for her when she got back from AZ.)

Fry up a few strips of bacon. Fry chicken breast in bacon grease.
Saute chopped onion in bacon grease and/or butter. Add minced garlic if you want.
When onions are cooked through, add several cups of chicken stock. (As much as you want for the amount of soup you are making. I always play it by ear.)
Cut up potatoes and add to soup so that there are lots of potatoes in there. Simmer potatoes.
While potatoes are simmering cut up the chicken and bacon. Add to the the soup pot.
When potatoes are cooked through, add heavy cream to get the right consistency. (Balancing the ingredients is key here, and that's why I always do it by feel instead of measuring everything.)

Salt and pepper to taste. I planned to make a jalapeno version of this last week, but my jalapenos had gone bad finally. The ones in the store didn't look that great either. Probably would have been fine for soup, but I decided to not experiment this time after all.

I make soup all the time. It's the family favorite during 3/4 of the year.

Last week was Chicken Corn Chowder again (Wife's favorite, so I made it for her when she got back from AZ.)

Fry up a few strips of bacon. Fry chicken breast in bacon grease.
Saute chopped onion in bacon grease and/or butter. Add minced garlic if you want.
When onions are cooked through, add several cups of chicken stock. (As much as you want for the amount of soup you are making. I always play it by ear.)
Cut up potatoes and add to soup so that there are lots of potatoes in there. Simmer potatoes.
While potatoes are simmering cut up the chicken and bacon. Add to the the soup pot.
When potatoes are cooked through, add heavy cream to get the right consistency. (Balancing the ingredients is key here, and that's why I always do it by feel instead of measuring everything.)

Salt and pepper to taste. I planned to make a jalapeno version of this last week, but my jalapenos had gone bad finally. The ones in the store didn't look that great either. Probably would have been fine for soup, but I decided to not experiment this time after all.

And what manner of corn do you use? Canned, cut fresh off the cob, ???

Sounds delicious!

And what manner of corn do you use? Canned, cut fresh off the cob, ???

Sounds delicious!

Whatever you got. I put plenty in there. A friend got me to make this after serving some "chowder" with creamed corn. A healthier version for sure, but I was kind of surprised he didn't go with cream, since he hails from the Boston area.

I decided to try making a more authentic (and less healthy) version and came up with this after reading a bunch of recipes.

I suppose you *could* even use creamed corn with heavy cream if you were of a mind to. I never have. Generally it's just canned or frozen sweet corn. I have used fresh sweet corn cut from the cob, but it's not usually available when I'm making soups.

Made about 3gal of ham broth and 2 gal of chicken broth last weekend. So far did a ham-potato soup and a portuguese chorizo-kale soup. this week will be a ham and bean to use up the rest of the ham stock, and a brunswick stew.

I'm using cannelini this time instead of the lima beans....mostly because I couldn't find dry lima beans so picked up some dry cannelini instead.

Good plan. Wife said it sounded good to try except the lima beans. Kid 2 won't like it since it has beans and corn and tomatoes. Poor thing. I don't envy her taste.

Last edited:
I made Brunswick Stew this weekend. Used canellini beans instead of Kidney beans. Pretty good, but not my favorite. Shredded Chicken, celery, onion, tomatoes sauce, broth, some potatoes, corn and chopped kale. Should have added carrots, but didn't think of it.

I'd take a pic, but the camera on my phone is broken. :( Reminds me to back it up and do a factory reset on it before I take it back for a new one.

Just discovered this thread. Great ideas so far! We make soup about once a week in the cold months (like now). That usually means we make enough to have it for dinner one night and a couple of lunches or leftover nights. We sometimes freeze a quart for later.

I made this weekend. Used canellini beans instead of Kidney beans. Pretty good, but not my favorite. Shredded Chicken, celery, onion, tomatoes sauce, broth, some potatoes, corn and chopped kale. Should have added carrots, but didn't think of it.

I'd take a pic, but the camera on my phone is broken. :( Reminds me to back it up and do a factory reset on it before I take it back for a new one.

No squirrel? It's not Brunswick Stew without squirrel, and Lima:D beans

No squirrel? It's not Brunswick Stew without squirrel, and Lima:D beans

I wish! Haven't had squirrel in a long time. I'd love to go out hunting for some, but bow season has started now, and lots of people around here would be upset to have me shooting a gun near where they have set up a blind or stand.

I've seen rabbit at the store, but it's very pricey.

I think the can of Cannellini Beans I bought said they were "White Kidney Beans", so I got that covered.

I think I have to find a seasoning to go with this, though. It's ok, but not very exciting.

Ran my thanksgiving "practice turkey" on the smoker this weekend... after we picked that sucker clean, we put the carcass in the pot with carrots, celery, some of the turkey meat, spiced it up a bit. Damn good turkey soup. Thanksgiving can't get here soon enough.

Ran my thanksgiving "practice turkey" on the smoker this weekend... after we picked that sucker clean, we put the carcass in the pot with carrots, celery, some of the turkey meat, spiced it up a bit. Damn good turkey soup. Thanksgiving can't get here soon enough.

A turkey noodle soup with the thanksgiving carcass is what usually kicks off my soup season... Just weeks away now.

Recipes are hard for me as I don't follow them, sauteed the trinity, sliced and browned some sausage, brats this time cause I had them, homemade stock from the freezer, season, lentils, cook till tender, Twas good:mug:

Close enough for government work! I can work with it from there.

Thanks!

Recipes are hard for me as I don't follow them, sauteed the trinity, sliced and browned some sausage, brats this time cause I had them, homemade stock from the freezer, season, lentils, cook till tender, Twas good:mug:

Looks great. That's how I cook. I do look up recipes though. I usually look at half a dozen and take what I like from them before I figure out what I want to do to make it my own. I'm not so good at remembering the basic proportions so recipes get me started there.

I will be making some chili in the next few days(after that pic above, how could I not). I want to use a Chuck roast to have some more substantial chunks of meat. I have my wife picking up a bunch of peppers right now. I'd like the base to be tomato/chilli but not from powder. It's a work in progress. I'll post a pic for sure.

Homemade chicken and vegetable is my favorite. Just chicken, lots of onions, some carrots and celery, garlic, and salt. If it's survival mode soup I throw in things like noodles rice beets or pork

Looking into making some miso-like soup from sake lees I just pressed with some anchovies for the fish. I might forgo the seaweed or use nori(sushi seaweed).

That's a magazine shot right there (except that little dot you should have wiped off chef). Makin' me hungry.

Thanks! Sometimes I make it look pretty, but sometimes I'm too hungry!!

Made some homemade stock from the carcass of a smoked beercan chicken. The SWMBO used it in her veggie barley soup (celery, carrot, tomato, sweet potato, corn, green pepper, onion). It was yummy, no pics this time.

Latest posts

Back