Biscuits and Gravy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
As taught to me by a friend from Texas:

Biscuits and Gravy

1 pound of your favourite breakfast sausage
1 onion, chopped*
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed*
1 tablespoon chicken-flavoured Better Than Bouillon*
1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter, as needed
1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour, as needed
Milk, as needed
Salt and pepper, to taste
A few red chili flakes and/or a bit of sage or parsley, as you choose*
2 cans of biscuits, or make them from scratch

* Optional

Crumble or cut up the sausage, brown it in a 9- or 10.25-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the sausage is nearly done, add the onions and cook until the onions begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more, then add the butter and Better Than Bouillon.

Stir the mixture until the butter is melted, then add the flour. Stir the mixture some more, taking care not to let the flour stick or burn to the bottom of the skillet. When the sausage us well-coated with the flour/butter mixture and the roux starts to brown, add enough milk to nearly fill the pan.

Stir the gravy often while bringing it nearly to a boil. When it starts to bubble, reduce the heat and continue to cook the gravy, stirring often to keep it off the bottom of the skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste, along with any other herb or spice you choose; be generous with the pepper. Continue simmering the gravy until it is at the desired thickness, then serve over split biscuits and enjoy.

Last edited:
Man I haven’t had biscuits and gravy in years. In SoCal people don’t even know what it is. My wife has never had it....sad. lol

I do the sausage gravy about like that except I can't eat flour, so instead of milk I just use heavy cream and cook it down til it's thick enough. YUM and thanks for reminding me as I haven't made it in quite a while!

I like it on mashed cauliflower (biscuits are a no go too) but at least I get that yummy flavor!

1lb Jimmy Dean hot sausage cooked in pan.

Drain cooked sausage and put grease back in pan, add bacon grease to make additional gravy if you have some available (I add 3 to 4 table spoons).

Mix in 1/4 cup flour and cook till slightly browned.

Add meat and mix in 2 cups whole milk, simmer till thick and serve over biscuits of choice..

Tempted2 said:
I do the sausage gravy about like that except I can't eat flour, so instead of milk I just use heavy cream and cook it down til it's thick enough. YUM and thanks for reminding me as I haven't made it in quite a while!

I like it on mashed cauliflower (biscuits are a no go too) but at least I get that yummy flavor!

I have done exactly this, as well, and to me the results were very good, too! :mug:

I drain mine too and then brown the flour in the pan. Cook the "roux" until its about the color of a roasted peanut. No measuring needed. Add enough flour to suck up all the grease. Whisk in milk until you get the desired thickness and then add back the sausage. Adjust seasoning with just salt and pepper. Simmer for a few minutes...leftovers are even better the next day. Thats why i always make a batch with 2lbs of meat or more.

One of my favorite twists to B&G is either Jimmy Dean Sage cut with ground chuck or Field brand ham sausage. A pound of each.

I like biscuits but i grew up eating it on toast. Goes great with hash browns too.

SOS version is just ground beef (no pork), beef stock or better than bullion, onion and cream. Fat Free Half&Half works too. Add cream later so you can cook it at a higher temps longer. It can be done without flour if using heavy cream near the end. Just dont get it too hot after adding the cream.

I agree about the "no measuring needed." Eyeballing it all, I'm at the point where I pretty much just make it, but I figure a few measurements would give someone direction if trying for the first time. ;)

Man I haven’t had biscuits and gravy in years. In SoCal people don’t even know what it is. My wife has never had it....sad. lol

I’m from Southern California and thats fairly on point.

If you ever want to have an entire restaurant stop what their doing, hit up a waffle house in Memphis and order something with either hash browns or grits as a side. Then ask the waitress “What are grits?”. The entire damn place was dead silent for 3 seconds except for people washing dishes in the background l. Then the waitress screws up her face and says “You don’t know what grits are? Where you from?”
That day I learned what grits were, and she learned people from California have other things they’d rather eat.

I’m from Southern California and thats fairly on point.

If you ever want to have an entire restaurant stop what their doing, hit up a waffle house in Memphis and order something with either hash browns or grits as a side. Then ask the waitress “What are grits?”. The entire damn place was dead silent for 3 seconds except for people washing dishes in the background l. Then the waitress screws up her face and says “You don’t know what grits are? Where you from?”
That day I learned what grits were, and she learned people from California have other things they’d rather eat.

I’ve been to a Waffle House actually. My dad was a truck driver when I was a kid and he would take me all over the US on my summer breaks. I remember one time in Georgia we were eating in a restaurant and the waitress asked me what I wanted to drink. I said I’ll have a Coke. She’s like ok....what kind do you want??. I said uhhh regular....she said what?? what kind do you WANT? I’m like what the hell is this chick crazy? Lol that day I learned that in the south “coke” is the general term for soda. Now I know

i am offended by this....! Born and raised here, educated in Montana - best biscuits and gravy is right here in socal.

go to mollies in SJC - you'll experience biscuits and gravy the right way.

Being from the north, I've noticed that B&G has only been a thing here for maybe 20 years or so. Prior to that, relatively unheard of in these parts. First time I had it was at a mom & pop place in Georgia in the '80s. It was delicious, but I was disappointed going back home to find no one heard of it. Now it's just about everywhere.

Protip: if it's on the menu somewhere, ask if the biscuits are made fresh. Sometimes restaurants pass off yesterday's biscuits in their B&G. Gotta be fresh biscuits or GTFO.

BTW, in the San Diego area, try Janet's in Santee. Their sawmill gravy is loaded with sausage chunks and even the half order is plenty filling.

Being from the north, I've noticed that B&G has only been a thing here for maybe 20 years or so. Prior to that, relatively unheard of in these parts. First time I had it was at a mom & pop place in Georgia in the '80s. It was delicious, but I was disappointed going back home to find no one heard of it. Now it's just about everywhere.

Protip: if it's on the menu somewhere, ask if the biscuits are made fresh. Sometimes restaurants pass off yesterday's biscuits in their B&G. Gotta be fresh biscuits or GTFO.

BTW, in the San Diego area, try Janet's in Santee. Their sawmill gravy is loaded with sausage chunks and even the half order is plenty filling.

We have family out in Santee - i will have to drop in to Janets - thank you for the rec. :) - buscuits and gravy is MY breakfast love

All the 'grapes of wrath' people settled here in central California. Drive a few hours north and you'll get all the biscuits and gravy you want.

All the 'grapes of wrath' people settled here in central California. Drive a few hours north and you'll get all the biscuits and gravy you want.

by chance do you go to the st. pattys beer fest in that baseball stadium out in Visalia? didnt make it last year but the two prior years. great homebrew tent there that that club puts up.

we have friends that live up your way. Exeter and Visalia

by chance do you go to the st. pattys beer fest in that baseball stadium out in Visalia? didnt make it last year but the two prior years. great homebrew tent there that that club puts up.

we have friends that live up your way. Exeter and Visalia
I'm there every year. I'm sure you've had my beer then.
Year before last I poured a black IPA called Oxymoron.
I think the year before that was a chocolate milk stout.

Back