what's a good strong lager for beginners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirwobblez

Reaction score
hey guys,
i'm a novice home brewer and it's all very exciting. i looked through the forums but couldnt find answers to a couple of questions, probably because i couldnt really figure out where to look. so apologies for stupid obvious questions and am happy to foollow links if the questions had already been asked.

our first brew, a cascade pale ale is happily bubbeling away and seems to go ok although we did not have any froth till now. we worried that the room would be a bit too cold. according to the outside paper indicator, the brew is at 14-16 degrees celcius.
that is a but low so im not sure if thats maybe too cold.

that is way i thought a lager would be good next. i read liquid yeast is better, so i thought of getting liquid yeast and start a lager - preferably a storng one. any brands to be recommended? i use brewing kits i guess, no fancy self mixed stuff yet.

we could put it into a room where the brew would be at around 10-12 degrees celcius.

what do you think? liquid yeast better? good brands? is it stupid that i ask these questions on a froum mostly visited by US brewers and brands are different in australia?

also what is secondary fermentation?

cheers guys

using this

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tempconvjava.html
16°C = 61°F
and
12°C= 54°F

your safely in the ale temps... lager not so much

You may want to try a California Common or "steam" beer. they have worked well for me using certain lager yeasts at ale temps. produces an ale with lager profile.Saflager # S-23 works well at the higher end of lager scale. key to a good lager is cold aging after primary is done... steams don't need it.

Muntons gold kits are great. Comes as two cans of liquid extract, you can just use that and top up with water. Super easy and decent results.

I know you're just getting started but for light lagers I would definitely recommend some hops for that fresh lager flavor.

For alcohol content, check what the box says for whatever brew you choose, and add about a half kilo of dextrose for an extra 1% if you want to.

I got some poor results from some other kits that I used that were single cans with fermentable dry boosters thrown in, but found the muntons to be tastier. Personally I would not add the dextrose but if you do need a higher ABV then that's the way.

Second poster is right on yeast, safAle or SafLager dry strains are great, and easier than liquid.

A lot of the extract kits that say they are lagers are really light ales.

Brewing a true lager takes a lot of yeast and a strict cold fermentation schedule that requires holding different low temperatures for different time periods. Typically brewing lagers is not something for a beginner.

Brew light ales until you have your processes down. Look into fermentation temperature control then advance to lagers.

Back