what will this taste like? drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
what do yall think this will taste like...

Partial Mash....3.5 gallon steep at 155 for 60 min, sparged with about a gallon of water (split up of course) at 170 (ghetto way by simply pouring the water over the grains in the bag over the pot). i sort of expect a lower efficiency due to my technique, maybe 70 or 65 percent, but am hoping for a tad better. anyways, here is the recipe...

7 lb. organic 2-row
1 lb. cara-pils
3 lb. extra light dme

2 oz chinook 60 min
.5 oz amarillo 45 min
.5 oz centennial 25 min
.5 oz ahtanum 25 min
.5 oz ahtanum 15 min
Yeast Fuel 15 min
1.5 oz amarillo 7 min
1.5 oz centennial 5 min

dry hops after 7 days in primary with 1 oz each of centennial, ahtanum, amarillo, and chinook

White Labs California Ale WLP001 Yeast

just lookin for some feedback, maybe what to expect from this brew...i would like to know what to expect as far as ibu's and abv...are there any brews being made out there that this one might taste similar to? thanks for any help yall...

it is going to be very bitter.
and not have much of a malt flavor !

I hope you have tasted Arrogant Bastard ale. you are going to have that same bitterness with 2.0 oz of chinook!

Chinook is not a hop for the weak!

Chinook can be pretty heady. Make sure you are ready for it! If you like Arrogant Bastard, Chinook will fuel your motor.

Just by eyeballing it, I get the impression that another pound or two of extract would help this recipe, but you can get the stats yourself by plugging it into beercalculus.com

sweeet...thanks yall. i love arrogant bastard, but it isn't hoppy enough for me. i love love love bitter beers so it sounds like i'll get what i want. i absolutely love hops i'm sure i can deal with it...

i got 7.1% and 83.1 ibu's....it sounds right up my alley honestly...i cant wait to try it...do those ibu's include dry hopping? will dry hopping add ibu's?

i would be surprised if you got 65 using that method.

i would be prepared for a much lower eff, IBU:GU -retically speaking.

someone else on here just said to expect higher efficiencies with that method...said he got 75-80 percent all the time doin that...so what is the truth...what should i expect?

will dry hopping add ibu's?

No, dry hopping doesn't add IBU points, but it does help with overall balance. You'll get nice floural aromas by dry hopping. I think dry hopping is pretty important for big hoppy beers.

*edit* As for effeciency...well crush of grain is really important for getting high effeciency with the mash. I'd expect at least 70 percent considering you're using extract and will monitor mash temps.

At 70% efficiency, I get 13.8°P. I use 6.5 gallons preboil for 5 gallons of finished beer. If I could only change one thing, I would increase the DME. In any case, it's good to have some on hand in case your efficiency is less than you planned.

Latest posts

Back