What to use for dry hops - dirt wolf clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
Hey all trying to decide what to use for dry hops in a 10 gal dirt wolffish clone I brewed this past weekend. Attached is a screenshot of my boil hop additions. Also had an oz of chinook at 60 min.

The recipe I used to get here said to go with 4 oz of citra, but I'm thinking of trying a combo of something instead. Here's what I got on hand (listed in order of my own personal interest):

Amarillo
Citra
Chinook
Mosaic
Centennial
Columbus
Sorachi ace
Belma
Cascade
Warrior
Crystal

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on good combos that would play well with the rest of the hop schedule?

Thanks!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424227573.789725.jpg

Your first 3 might make a good combo. Grapefruit from the amarillo, some pineapple from citra and then a hit a dank/ piney from the chinook. Otherwise you may get competing flavors if you use to many similar hops, they may step on each other as opposed to adding something unique from each hop. I like to combine dry hops too but I try to find a flavor from each I use that will stand out in the nose. Like citrus, pine, dank, floral, passionfruit/pineapple and pick a hop that has those characteristics that help me narrow it down, I also try to use dry hops I used in the recipe to keep with the flavor profile like the dry hops just accent the hops used in the boil. Can't lose with any of those you have picked although I'd do a combo of any of your top six but that's my personal preference.

I was kinda thinking of going with three out of the top four, but can't decide whether to go with the one you know (mosaic, already in the hop schedule) or invite someone new to the party (Amarillo)

My other idea was to split up the dry hops between the two fermenters.

That may b a good idea. Do a fruitier dry hop with amarillo, citra, mosaic, and a dankier dry hop with chinook, Columbus and use centennial for the floral notes. It'd b a good experiment with two similar but diff tasty beers.

My other idea was to split up the dry hops between the two fermenters.

Definitely this! I had a nice pale ale a few years back - dry hopped one with columbus and one with chinook. They were like different beers. I'm a big proponent for experimenting whenever you have the opportunity. Split batching 10 gal batches makes this really fun. Same grain bill different yeasts or different dry hops, other adjuncts.

Best part about being a homebrewer IMHO. Being an evil scientist! :rockin:

That may b a good idea. Do a fruitier dry hop with amarillo, citra, mosaic, and a dankier dry hop with chinook, Columbus and use centennial for the floral notes. It'd b a good experiment with two similar but diff tasty beers.

Love this idea!

Thanks for the reminder! I planned on adding 1-2 lbs of cane sugar to each fermenter. Maybe I'll forego that addition on one of the brews to have a more normal ipa (6.5%) alongside the bigger brother (7.5%).

Although I don't know know how much mad scientist I want to put into this brew.

Back