What to expect starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLamb

Reaction score
Alright so I have made one successful starter before and I have making my second one about 8 hours ago.

I had some questions, so I used sparking amber DME and before I pitched my yeast it seemed like a hazy substance of the malt was settling at the bottom of the flask. Can this happen? Last time a used a extra light malt so maybe I just couldn't see this happening?

Second I pitched 2 vials of WLP510 Bastogne strong yeast. I hate to be this guy, but here it goes. So I haven't gotten any visible yeast activity after about 8-9 of aeration. I understand sometimes it can be fermenting without krausen and what not. I also understand that white labs information states that fermentation will begin between 5-15 hours. So I'm trying to relax and let my yeast do what they do best hopefully.

Any input on this would be helpful, thanks.

Alright so I have made one successful starter before and I have making my second one about 8 hours ago.

I had some questions, so I used sparking amber DME and before I pitched my yeast it seemed like a hazy substance of the malt was settling at the bottom of the flask. Can this happen? Last time a used a extra light malt so maybe I just couldn't see this happening?

This was the hot break settling out. Perfectly normal and okay.

Second I pitched 2 vials of WLP510 Bastogne strong yeast. I hate to be this guy, but here it goes. So I haven't gotten any visible yeast activity after about 8-9 of aeration. I understand sometimes it can be fermenting without krausen and what not. I also understand that white labs information states that fermentation will begin between 5-15 hours. So I'm trying to relax and let my yeast do what they do best hopefully.

Any input on this would be helpful, thanks.
Would need some more information on your starter. What size was it? What was the OG? Expiration date of the yeast?

This calculator can help immensely with starters.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

The starter is about 1700ml and the best by date was April 23. The yeast was previously in the fridge. Idk the OG. Would a yeast activator be a good idea?

If the best by date is tomorrow then you just probably had low viability. They were both the same exp date?
And yea don't worry about it it should be ok. Are you using a stir plate or just shaking it around yourself?

- ISM NRP

Yea they were the same date. And yes I'm just shaking for about a minute to two minutes ever 30 mins to an hour.

It's probably fine, I'm sure it's just taking some time for the yeast to multiply since your viability was on the low side. RDWHAHB

The starter is about 1700ml and the best by date was April 23. The yeast was previously in the fridge. Idk the OG. Would a yeast activator be a good idea?

Begin entering your numbers in part 1 of the calculator. Enter the date of 2013/12/23 as the production date. White Labs has an expiration date 4 months after the production date. This will give you the target pitch for number of cells and the number of cells you have available.

In part 2 select the Grab From Above button. Enter 1.7 liters for the volume of your starter. Play with the gravity number until the calculator shows the number of ounces of DME you have in the starter.
To high of starter OG can be detrimental to the yeast cells.

Select method of making your starter.

With that final step the calculator will indicate how many cells you will have propagated.

What to do next can be determined after the estimated number of cells propagated is calculated.

Latest posts

Back