What to do with this sour porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew122

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed a Founders Porter clone a couple weeks ago. I let it ferment for 2 weeks, took a couple hydro samples and it had reached FG, tasted a sample and it tasted like it was supposed to. I put it on gas for 3 weeks and went to pull my first pint the other night and it had a tart, sour taste. Part of me thinks that the unpasteurized cider I had in the bucket before it must have left a bit of funk behind.

All that is to say, should I let it ride in keg and see if something interesting comes out of it, degas it and throw it back into a bucket with some actual bugs to attempt to salvage some kind of sour porter, or just dump it?

Thanks!

I'd taste it again in a couple weeks to see if anything has changed. Or draw more off - you might have just gotten a mouthfull of yeasty dregs, which can be tart or otherwise nasty-tasting. Or maybe you ate something before taking your sample and it threw your palate off.

If it is well and truly $&#ed, though, I'd go with actual bugs. I had a commercial sour stout a while back and it was awesome.

Bug it, kill the bugs and blend one part of it to two parts of non-sour porter to make proper old fashioned porter.

If you can, I'd suggest pitching some jester king dregs from their funk metal. If you can't pull that off, pitch a pack of roeselare and let it rest for a good six months.

TD

I just posted about this in another Porter thread.
Ive had a couple with the condition your describing...Both lost all of it after 2 or 3 months.

Back