What to do with a rubber coated Miller keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazydave

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks I've been slowly but surely getting my brewing setup together by finding the best deals I can on Craigslist.
Today I picked up a 20# co2 tank, dual gauge regulator, sanke tap, ball lock fittings, a dual tap tower, Miller rubber coated sanke keg, and a Johnson thermostat for the low price of $80.

However, I have no idea what to do with the Rubber keg!
I've read some stuff about cutting the top off and using it for a mash tun, but I was thinking that I might just convert an igloo for that whenever I decide to get into AG brewing. (I still have yet to start my first batch!)

Does anyone else have any ideas for it?
I may just sell it to sweeten my $80 deal a little more, but I'm not sure what people would want it for.
Or do you think it's possible to get a deposit back on the thing somehow?

Too bad you're in Cali or I'd buy that keg from you! I'm sure shipping would be outrageous.

You could use it as an electric boil kettle (what I plan to do) for BIAB batches. The rubber would really help to hold a steady mash temp in an AIO vessel. Other than that, you could use it for a fermenter.

Wyazz: That rubber will actually withstand boiling temps?

RDWHAHB: Do you know if Miller or a distributor would give me something for returning it?

Wyazz: That rubber will actually withstand boiling temps?

RDWHAHB: Do you know if Miller or a distributor would give me something for returning it?

Not direct fired, but with an electric element mounted in the kettle yes it will be fine.

As for returning it, you may be able to get a deposit for it. In Ohio they deposit is $30.00.

RDWHAHB: Do you know if Miller or a distributor would give me something for returning it?[/QUOTE]

They won't, and they shouldn't. Miller actually owns that keg. Selling it and buying it the way you did is illegal. I understand your want to get something for it, but paying a deposit on a keg is just a "rental" fee of sorts.

They won't, and they shouldn't. Miller actually owns that keg. Selling it and buying it the way you did is illegal. I understand your want to get something for it, but paying a deposit on a keg is just a "rental" fee of sorts.[/QUOTE]

Hey, someone at some point paid them for a deposit. There's no reason they shouldn't give it back to get their keg back.
That's how I look at it.

Everyone assumes that this keg was obtained by illegal means, that may or may not be the case, give the guy a break.

I've seen several people using rubber coated kegs as MLTs or in electric setups. But can anyone tell me how much the rubber coating actually helps to insulate? I don't have insulated kegs, but thought you could polish the top and bottom skirts then have the actual body coated in Rhino Lining for some serious bling. They can spray it on as thick as you want, and it comes in over a dozen colors.

Back