What to add in secondary to wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only had a 3 gallon keg available today and my wheat needed to be transferred. I kegged the 3 gallons and filled up a 3 gallon carboy with a little more thank 2.5 gallons of the wheat. The wheat is spiced with coriander and bitter orange peel and fermented with us05. It is a "test" batch for my wedding and suppose to be something like blue moon but not as orangey. The spices seemed very light when transferring. What should I do with the remaning 2.5 gallons:
1. Let age another couple weeks, bottle, drink as normal
2. Add some sort of fruit (raspberry, peach, etc)
3. Add a sour yeast blend (lambic blend, roselaire, some other sour blend)
4. Pitch some variety of brett
5. Something else

If it's a test batch for a wedding audience, I wouldn't try a brett or sour.

I'm serving up an berry orange wheat on July 4th - 2.5 gallons of honey-orange wheat with a pound of blueberries/0.5pound of raspberries added to the secondary for a week. Turned out delicious to my taste - just the right bit of berry flavour & tart aftertaste from the raspberries.

If it's a test batch for a wedding audience, I wouldn't try a brett or sour.

I'm serving up an berry orange wheat on July 4th - 2.5 gallons of honey-orange wheat with a pound of blueberries/0.5pound of raspberries added to the secondary for a week. Turned out delicious to my taste - just the right bit of berry flavour & tart aftertaste from the raspberries.

The original part I kegged is the test batch for the wedding. The leftovers I put in the carboy is just an experimental batch more for me than for a broad audience,

Back