What the &^%$# is going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightingswede

Reaction score
I have a major problem I've not encountered before. I am brewing an extract -- the recipe is for Northern Brewer's Imperial Slavic ale. Original gravity was 1.100. Fermentation was wild and crazy -- Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. Afte 14 days, no more bubbles and the gravity was 1.016 -- excellent. I transferred it to the carboy for secondary fermentation and took a sample to drink -- quite tasty, but a lot of crap in it -- very cloudy.

Now as I look at it in the carboy there are two layers. The top layer is dark, appears to have most of the crap in it and is about 1.0 - 1.5 gallons. The remaining 3.5 - 4.0 gallons doesn't have much crap but is still cloudy.

I'm thinking that the yeast may have died before it totally finished the job. It came close (ABV is 11.2%), but didn't quite get it done. I'm planning to order some Trappist high gravity yeast to finish it off. I've had cloudy beers before, but never this layered look.

I talked to a buddy who suggested a cold crash but I'm really not set up for that. I could if my wife leaves for 2-3 days (LOL) and I throw everything else out of the fridge. I don't know, though, if the layer business will go away with just a cold crash.

Open to any/all suggestions as to what is going on and what to do about it! In the meanwhile, I'm going to get hammered and wait for responses!

Dont know if you have a tub that is deep enough or not,
If so put carboy in tub of ice water..of course taller the tub the better chill you will get ..That will drop the temp rather fast.....Cheap and lazy way to get your beer cold if out of fridge space.

As for the yeast, Last bock i did it went to 1.025 instead of 1.010.. Tastes freakin awsome all the same.
Personaly i would keg it right now and enjoy.

Just my .02 cents worth is all

DO NOT PUT YOUR CARBOY RIGHT INTO A TUB OF ICE WATER! Unless, of course, you want a tub full of shattered glass.

Why do you think the yeast didn't finish the job? 1.100 -> 1.016 is 84% aparant attenuation, I doubt you're getting any further. The darker look is the yeast starting to fall out of suspension, just give it time and it'll clear. If you do want to chill it in the tub, do it slowly. Anything too quick could cause too much thermal stress on the glass.

why is the top layer dark? If the yeast are falling out, wouldn't the dark layer be on the bottom?

Don't do ANYTHING, there is nothing wrong. You have 2 layers because the beer is clearing. And since it is a potent brew, there are a lot of proteins and other stuff coming out of suspension.

Just walk away for a couple weeks. The yeast know what they are doing. :D

Latest posts

Back