What the heck is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hojo3322

Reaction score
Howdy HBT, I was lucky enough to get some free equipment from a buddy who was moving and had no more time for home brewing. While going through the stuff I came across a regulator or some kind. The weird thing is that it has a plug attached and a small hose. Does anyone have an idea of what this is and what it might be used for?

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what it is or does, but I believe it has something to do with co2 for aquariums.

The portion with the plug is a solenoid so you could hook it to a timer and it would open to turn on the gas flow based on if power is applied. For use with beer you'd need to determine if it's normally open or normally closed (do you need it plugged in or unplugged to allow gas flow.

cool, thanks for the help. looks like i got a little project on my hands. I gotta find away to make this work

It's a twin gauge co2 reg with a 120 volt solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter. As others have mentioned it's for injecting co2 into an aquarium as plant fertilizer (freshwater) or to run a calcium reactor (saltwater). The input threads will be standard cga-320 and can easily be adapted to the paintball type cga threading if you want to use a small tank.

I use a similar setup for my aquarium with a 20oz paintball tank. All the parts you need to get it working for beer are sold at home depot/lowes. Send me a pm if you have any questions or are looking to sell some of the parts.

Back