Simple syrup in witbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PashMaddle

Reaction score
I'm kicking around a witbier for summer (trying to plan ahead or whatever) and I was trying to source some ingredients locally because its easier to slip an ingredient here and there into the grocery pickup than to justify ordering stuff and paying shipping etc... anyway... While looking on malwart's website I came across Rose's (of "Rose's grenadine") simple syrup ...flavored...simple syrup and I thought to myself "self, you're about to have a hairbrained idea to put this nonsense in a witbier in place of candi syrup arent you?" to which I replied "yep". Then it occurred to me that I'm not all that original or creative and that I can't possibly be the first person to come up with this idea. So I searched and searching yielded no results specific to this application, which means it either wasn't noteworthy or nobody wanted to admit to the entire interweb that they did it.

I somehow turned a few simple questions into a paragraph of nonsense...

Anyone ever done this? Is it a dumb idea? Will it inevitably go stupid?
I really don't want to "guinea pig" this idea and have a few gallons of weird/bad beer that I'll force myself to drink anyway as punishment for my buffoonery so I'm asking.

I would save it for a Dupple. I've not seen a Wit recipe that uses any sugar at all. What is (flavored) mean? If the flavor will work with coriander and orange peel I would gopher it.

Added sugars (via a simple syrup or grenadine or whatever) aren't really a Witbier thing. It would result in a higher ABV and relatively (for the ABV) thinner body.

Can you describe what you mean by Witbier?

I would save it for a Dupple. I've not seen a Wit recipe that uses any sugar at all. What is (flavored) mean? If the flavor will work with coriander and orange peel I would gopher it.
“Flavored” as in raspberry, strawberry etc. not sure what all of the options are, really. It just seemed like a possibility.

I have seen hoegaarten clones that call for candi sugar …I think…

Added sugars (via a simple syrup or grenadine or whatever) aren't really a Witbier thing. It would result in a higher ABV and relatively (for the ABV) thinner body.

Can you describe what you mean by Witbier?
I meant Belgian witbier (hoegaarden etc)
I may have somehow got it in my head that wits use candy sugar and been wrong (wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong about anything)

This is just weird because I was pretty sure it was an ingredient in witbier (along with patersbier, dubbels, trippels, BGSAs and the like) … see above about me being wrong though. I’ve never made any, I just like drinking them.

“Flavored” as in raspberry, strawberry etc. not sure what all of the options are, really. It just seemed like a possibility.

If you want your beer to taste like pomegranites (or "cherries"), your grenadine might be a way to go. It won't be a traditional witbier, for reasons already mentioned, but it's your beer.

I have seen hoegaarten clones that call for candi sugar …I think…

That would be a bad clone recipe. Sadly, the internet is full of bad clones. Here's a pretty good one:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-hoegaarden-white/
This is just weird because I was pretty sure it was an ingredient in witbier (along with patersbier, dubbels, trippels, BGSAs and the like)

Those styles really have little in common with Witbier.

A small amount of research has shown that you are indeed correct. I went down a whole Belgian rabbit hole a while back and got some wires crossed as far as ingredients go. I’m glad you mentioned that, thanks for saving my future witbier!

I split a batch between wit yeast and saison yeast,put mango artiasan from Amoretti. It'a a delicious beer but the coriander and orange is totally absent. The yeast could have had something to do with it who knows,I'm happy it was good.

I briefly considered a raspberry dubbel but I don’t think that would be very palatable. I figured since the kids nowadays are putting fruit in their wheat beer, it would be the whole 2 birds/one stone thing. Boy was I wrong.

So grenadine in witbier = bad idea. Got it.

Pomegranate chocolate imperial gosze?

…sorry…

Pomegranate chocolate imperial gosze?

I occasionally brew a chocolate raspberry gose. It's pretty popular at club meetings. Chocolate in a gose is by no means traditional, but it works.

Last edited:
I occasionally brew a chocolate raspberry gose. It pretty popular at club meetings. Chocolate in a gose is by no means traditional, but it works.
Really? I was just being silly…
That’s an unexpected combination…

Now I kinda want to try it.

Back