What the frigg is up with pro brewers and beards???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jcmccoy said:
I was asked the same question cuz I have a beard and brew... and I have no answer I think as said before part of the culture.

I dunno about that. I've been sporting a beard since well before I even drank, let alone brewed, and I doubt very many people would say they grow a beard because it's part of the brewing culture (or even think it has anything to do with their job/hobby at all.)

I think beer geekdom, the DIY mindset, and beard wearing are probably influenced by some sort of shared attitude(s). It all seems to me to tie into a more independent, introspective spirit than one that lives for the approval of their peers and society as a whole.

They wear overalls because brewing is a dirty job and requires a lot of water and chemicals flying around. Same reason why doctors wear overcoats. You would wear overalls too.

Brewers are all about the "unwind." "Let er rip" style beard growers are all about the "unwind." And admit it, Bob Cannon of Samuel Adams sold the public on bibs. Now, I, one who lives in the country amongst livestock, recommend if you are going to wear bibs you need to wear Carhart, because they last. Why bibs? Because when you work in a brewery you are going to get dirty and at the end of the day it is a lot easier to strip off some bibs and leave them there at work than to change clothes before heading out to your truck.

I have the beard. I am not messing around with this brewing stuff lol. It gets bigger in the winter time too.

Beards for brewers is an old tradition reaching back to its roots in spontaneous fermentation of lambic ales in Belgium. Brewers would splash aged beer on the coolship, brewery walls and yes, the brewer's beard. The close physical proximity the brewer had to the freshly cooled wert allows favorable yeast and bacteria to transfer and start fermentation. It has since been a sub culture piece of identity as well as a connection to traditions.

thezepster said:
They wear overalls because brewing is a dirty job and requires a lot of water and chemicals flying around. Same reason why doctors wear overcoats. You would wear overalls too.

Doctors wear scrubs when they expect to get dirty... The white coat is more of a status thing.

I'm pro, don't have a beard (although I might shave twice a week) and definitely do not wear bids. Nothing against them, I like them actually...but I work in a brew house that the only air conditioner is the boiler. So if its 90 outside and we are brewing, it becomes a sweat box.

Shorts and Rubber Boots all the way...probably the next big thing in fashion.

Shorts and Rubber Boots all the way...probably the next big thing in fashion.

Only acceptable if you look like this.

DrButcher-181x300.jpg

I only have a goatee, but have been tempted to grow it out mountain man style. I've also thought about shaving it down to a nice Guy Fawkes style pointer and stache. I did it once and my wife wouldn't stop complaining about it. I thought it looked pretty sharp myself. I'll probably go ahead and pick up the overalls this weekend.

I grew mine to about 6" below my chin. It was fun but made me look older and eventually when I went out people would look and point so I am back to a shorter one. But I also shave my head too. Guy that comes here to work now and then asked me tonight if I have been riding my motorcycle lately. Uh no, who said I ride? I never said that, don't even know how to. :confused:

Inspired by that damn Heineken commercial, I plan on growing some handlebars. However, I have a long way to go for that. There are high school freshmen who are more hairy than I.

I do a thin handlebar stache and a long goatee in the winter. I, unfortunately, cannot grow much facial hair. Its write scragally and patchy when I do. My "handlebar" when not waxed looks pretty bad and gets in the way a lot.

Not a pro brewer here, either, but I haven't seen my chin at all in my adult life. I'm honestly a little afraid of what it would look like if I did shave...

From the looks of some of the brewers I've met, I don't think I'm alone in this.

I started growing my beard after I got out of the military but I do agree that the DIY mentality and beards go hand and hand.
I think this should be a post a brewer beard forum I'll go first

ForumRunner_20110726_075857.jpg

They use to be able to have beards. Mainly becasue they were not see by the general public much while on a ship, but they cannot have them now becasue of the Chem Warfare issue and the mask not sealing properly... The only time you see a beard on a military member now is becasue of a shavig waiver..
Yes beards are cool nd if my wife would not ***** i would have one.. I settle for a goattee now...

Sailors used to able to grow beards because shaving was a waste of water, which used to be a precious commodity back when boilers were demanding most of then water the evaporators could make. Nowadays there's plenty of water for shaving (and even real showers). And as stated above, facial hair precludes an airtight fit for firefighting gear and gas masks.

Inspired by that damn Heineken commercial, I plan on growing some handlebars. However, I have a long way to go for that. There are high school freshmen who are more hairy than I.

But are they more hairy than me?

I grew a beard being a beer lover/home brewer, had to shave for a wedding (so I could wear my old uniform for the honor guard) felt like a lion that had it's mane removed.

Interestingly there is no evolutionary reason to have a beard other than women like it!

Clem

Clementine said:
Interestingly there is no evolutionary reason to have a beard other than women like it!

Hmmm. I will have to show this immediately to SWMBO. Seems she was wrong.

I often grow a crazy beard anyways, but once she finds out she's supposed to LIKE IT, then all will be good.

Every once in a while I like to grow a short "tickler" The wife doesn't mind it then. Other wise I shave once a month, very sensitive skin.

Not a pro brewer here, either, but I haven't seen my chin at all in my adult life. I'm honestly a little afraid of what it would look like if I did shave...

From the looks of some of the brewers I've met, I don't think I'm alone in this.

+1. When it's time for me to move on to the next life they have to bury me with my beard otherwise no one would recognize me. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/SunKingBrewing#p/c/577522A789041192/0/_e8pppLwYAA"]Beards[/ame]

Back