Something I find very interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I like to watch Youtube Vids on how to do different things. Auto mechanic stuff, guitar tutorials and beer making. What I find interesting on beer making is the vast variety of equipment used and the complexity of some of the setups. I guess I am a simpleton at heart. As I watch these videos I am left wondering, am I missing out on something? Does spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars produce better beer? I have been really happy with what I have made so far. And am in no way a pro, or even a novice yet. But, I see all these fancy setups with all in one mash, boil and sparge capabilities, I see these fermenters that will allow you to ferment under pressure and dry hop without removing the lid. As I said, I am a pretty simple guy at heart and love the idea of doing things very hands on. But, again, do these fancy setups really produce better beer? I only post this as a point of discussion, not to get into a pissing match against different setups or different brands of setups. So, with that said, discuss. LOL

FWIW I've won awards without all that fancy equipment - two stainless kettles for brewing, and glass carboys with full control over the house thermostat. I believe in process and fermentation control over anything, regardless of equipment. Having a solid routine helps troubleshoot any issues along the way, even if the equipment and process is archaic. And lastly, understanding the how's and why's is key to knowing how to troubleshoot and make the proper adjustments. After all, how is it that brewers of the past were able to sell so much beer without all the bells and whistles that our day in age provides?

I have noticed the same and have a multi-prong theory on this one. It can be any combination of the following:

1) It's what you know. Your equipment reflects your other hobbies and/or trade. eg If you are some sort of electrician or roboticist in your spare time, you have, or are planning a build for more automation with all the controls, beeps, whistles, and lights you can throw at it. Is this needed to make good beer? No, but it was fun building it.

2) Necessity. It's the mother of invention. I have slowly built my set-up based on need. Whenever I find something that can be easier, quicker, cheaper, etc. I will entertain a way to incorporate that into my brew day. It may be something as simple as a QD valve at the top of the kettle for recirculation, or an extra pump to assist with cleaning. All I know is that if I showed 10 years ago Floppy the brew set-up he'd be working with next decade, he would have no idea how to use it. Is it needed to make good beer? no, but it was fun collecting it.

3) You think you need it. It's not hard to get the mentality of better tools equal better results. Cheap/janky tools are going to give you a sub-par finished product. Although that may be true in many cases, I don't hold that true in homebrewing. Just like @pvtpublic said, I too have won awards with my initial set-up of a stove-top pot and a wooden spoon. Is all this needed to make good beer? No, but you think it is.

4) Inherited or purchased. You didn't design it, or even want it, or know the first thing about how it was built, but the classifieds had this shiny, new to you set-up at a price you couldn't resist the price. He shows you how to use the rig and you take it home. There's still a learning curve, but you can make good beer on it and you're happy. Is all this needed to make good beer? no, but you have it now and it looks cool.

Awesome responses. Thanks all. It was just kinda an observation that I made as I was watching these vids. There seems to be a wide range of brewers, but if the beer is good to you, then it is all good. I enjoy the time spend making it, I enjoy the time spent drinking it, and my friends seem to enjoy it as well. All good stuff, thanks for the input. Any and all input is welcome to further the discussion.

"Better Beer" is in the mouth of the beholder. I was always a drink-snob at the bars... if they didn't have any decent beer, I drank something else. Some of the first homebrews I was given were made with the most basic and primitive means, usually all-LME and often the 'pre-hopped' stuff, and to my palate it was a huge improvement over most of the crap available, so I started with the Coopers kits myself. Each step, from fresh hops to full boil with steeping grains to all-grain, glass-carboys and bottling-bucket to closed fermenters and kegging,made my already "Better Beer" betterer...:p
Since it's already "better" than most of the commercial stuff, I can slowly try out new things as I can afford them. I'm actually glad of my tight budget in this regard as I get to build my own hardware and learn in-depth all the details and nuance of each element in the process.
:mug:

It's like any other hobby. You can make is as expensive as you want. I've been eyeing those $12,000 - $18,000 bicycles for my other hobby/pastime/recreation. I hope I don't start drooling over beer equipment too. But I don't get bothered by those that do spend for the stuff they want to satisfy their enjoyment of their hobby in the manner they wish.

And I'm particularly glad that I never got interested in golf. That seems really expensive from the talk I hear from friends that golf. Even the cost and expenses for the sailboat I use to own and kept in a marina on the coast was less than some of their stories about golf and the equipment needed.

Before the new/recent all-in-one systems, I think most people got into brewing by watching one of their friends or friend of a friend do it. Over time, the process is like a story, each person who tells it changes or adds something, and soon enough, you have a similar but different story.

My setup works for me, as I adapted and changed what I needed to fit my needs. If I started from scratch today, I would have a wildly different system, but probably still make very similar beer. To me, it's been a fun journey! But I would most likely do an all-electric vs propane in the garage.

There are a couple of cases where more complicated equipment may help you make better beer:
  1. If you want to brew a lot of NEIPAs. The non-isomerized (not boiled) hop oils are extremely prone to oxidation once fermentation has started. If you don't control oxygen exposure, your beer will likely stale very quickly (1 - 2 weeks.) This is where pressure tight fermenters and dry hoping mechanisms that don't require opening the fermenter can be helpful.
  2. If you want to get that delicate and elusive "German Lager" flavor, you would be wise to get mashing equipment that can control hot side oxygen exposure, as well as the cold side O2 exposure controls from item #1.
Other than that, makeshift equipment can brew beers as good as any equipment, although the fancier equipment might make your brew day easier (it can also make it more complicated if you go overboard.)

Brew on :mug:

I have a simple rule in my brewery: If it makes demonstrably better beer it stays, if it doesn't it goes over the railing. More importantly, there needs to be a very compelling reason to change anything.

To this end, I've arrived at my current configuration.

1) After decades of using various temperature control methods to avoid buying dedicated fridges, I've settled upon using two small beverage cooler fridges. I pissed away a shameful amount of money trying to avoid this configuration. I would've saved so much money if I had simply bought a couple of fridges at the start. They stay, they're critical to making excellent beer. At a buck fifty each, plus another forty for dedicated controllers and dip tubes to get the probes directly into the vessel, they're the best money I've spent on my brewery.

2) The Apera pH 60. This is by far the easiest pH meter I've ever used and I've used many supposedly high-quality meters. When I bought mine, it was fifty-nine bucks. It's a shame it's so expensive now, but it's worth every penny. It's a brilliant piece of kit and being able to track and adjust your pH from strike, runoff, pre-boil, post-boil, and post-fermentation gives you so, so much ability to fine tune the beer in your glass. It's not a cheap piece of kit, but it isn't expensive either. You'll make much, much better beer if you can track and adjust your pH from the tun, into the kettle, into the fermenter, and into the keg. It makes a huge difference.

3) After years of UK-style underlet mashing in a cooler, my Pandemic project to make excellent fizzy yellow swill prompted me to go back to fly sparging, but this time with a submerged sparge manifold. This resulted in much better beer across the board. Initially, it was a pain in the butt, but now that I've learned how to effectively clean my new tun, it's actually easier. It makes better beer, so it stays.

4) After decades of using two glass 6.5gal carboys--gloriously easy to clean with bleach!--I bought a couple of SS Brewtech Brewbuckets because they make closed pressure transfers easy and produce far superior beer. They're a lot more complicated than my old glass carboys, but they make better beer. They stay--phew!!! Huge gamble on that one! I do miss the easy maintenance on my glass carboys.

4a) Kegging, this doesn't require explanation.

5) LODO, it's cheap and easy. It makes better beer. It stays. Also, going LODO doesn't mean you have to go whole hog on the LODO to see results, I still use my copper immersion chiller because it does a fantastic job and I'm hard pressed to think that a stainless immersion chiller will make better beer. I'm currently very content with my rig, so I see no need to dump 200 bucks into a new chiller. Yeast oxygen scavenging and trifecta are easy and cheap to use, a submerged sparge manifold isn't terribly costly. Combined, they make much better beer. LODO is cheap, easy, and effective--aside from the chiller, but I don't think that's really needed to see the results.

6) A pair of cheap pumps. I use a Mk. II pump for recirculation for whirlpool and recirculation duties (the submerged sparge manifold does double duty in this application [Amazon has the same pump B3 sells, but often has it cheaper and with a stainless head, hence the link]). I also use an immersion pump like this to pump out of a bucket filled with ice water during the summer months to quickly chill my wort. Both are cheap and they make better beer. They also make the brew day a lot easier. Cleaning your brewing pump is stupidly easy, you just hook it up to your faucet and run water through it in reverse. I still frequently take the head off after a brew day, but there's never anything in there. Pumps are cheap and easy to use. Use them!

With that said, I've been brewing for over thirty years, and I can assure you that the much more expensive and complex rig that I use today is far, far superior than my old rig. My original rig made a substance that tasted sorta like beer. My current rig allows me to make *exactly* the kind of beer that I want to drink.

The expense and complexity are worth it and if you absorb the cost over a period of decades, well, it isn't all that expensive.

Last edited:
It's like any other hobby. You can make is as expensive as you want. I've been eyeing those $12,000 - $18,000 bicycles for my other hobby/pastime/recreation. I hope I don't start drooling over beer equipment too. But I don't get bothered by those that do spend for the stuff they want to satisfy their enjoyment of their hobby in the manner they wish.

And I'm particularly glad that I never got interested in golf. That seems really expensive from the talk I hear from friends that golf. Even the cost and expenses for the sailboat I use to own and kept in a marina on the coast was less than some of their stories about golf and the equipment needed.
I play golf, and that like other hobbies, can be as expensive as you want. A decent set of clubs can run you from about 500 bucks to over 1k, but you can find them used for a bit less. Courses on the other had, at least here in the Bay Area can be a bit costly. Most are in the 75 to 125 dollar range and that is if you are lucky enough to get on. I enjoy it because it gives me a chance to hang out with my buddies for the day and enjoy a few beers and some sun. Going to play tomorrow with about 30 guys. Cost will be about 100 bucks for the course, 50 bucks for dinner and probably a lot more for booze and beers. But for me, a day out with friends is well worth it. Rock On!!!!!!!

Excellent thread. I've been doing this for 7 years, started with Mr Beer and gradually got to where I am now; a nice brewstand that can do traditional three-vessel brews, or more often a full volume BIAB. My cooler mash tun sits in a corner of my garage, rarely used. But I can still use it if I want to make a big beer. Every homebrewer finds their own system eventually, that works for them. Husband offered me a chance to get an AIO system last year, mainly because he wants to brew his own beer and doesn't like the work my current system takes; but I said no. I like the whole process of my current system; I think if I had a grainfather-type thing it would take all the fun out of it. 'Fun' is relative. Some like the ease of pushing buttons, others like the more 'hands-on' systems. It really comes down to what the individual homebrewer is comfortable with, and what makes good beer for them.

Latest posts

Back