What size stopper fits a standard 750ml wine bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I am looking to pick up a 2 hole stopper for a standard wine bottle. I am looking to make this:

BTW, I will also need the elbow, T, and some vacuum tubing. Can anyone recommend a vendor that has it all?

Btlfiller2HoleStopThumbDwn.jpg

I think I see where you are going with this. Connect the tee side to a vacuum pump, drop the other tube into a carboy of wine, put your thumb over the hole, and fill your bottle? I think we have most of this stuff at work. Will have to see about this...

I think I see where you are going with this. Connect the tee side to a vacuum pump, drop the other tube into a carboy of wine, put your thumb over the hole, and fill your bottle? I think we have most of this stuff at work. Will have to see about this...

You are correct sir.

Well, if you guys can put it together I will take one. :)

I don't know why any innovative vendors haven't throw this together yet. 50 cents worth of materials (if that) with markup to $7.49 and sell hundreds off this site alone I would think.

That is basically how the commercial bottle fillers work, but they have the vacuum tube dropped to the fill level so it fills to your level and the overflow goes into a tank. A home version could be much cheaper.

That is basically how the commercial bottle fillers work, but they have the vacuum tube dropped to the fill level so it fills to your level and the overflow goes into a tank. A home version could be much cheaper.

Yup my Invacare Corporation Invacare® Aspirator [INVIRC1135] is on its way.

INVIRC1135.jpg

Already have overflow taken care of. :ban:

Checked the warehouse at work and it looks like we have pretty well all the odds & ends to make this. Now I just have to catch the manager in a good mood :). I have a battery powered vacuum pump used for vacuum sealing freezer bags--going to see if I can adapt it to work. Anyone ever tried to use one of those for racking? Seems like it pulled a pretty good vacuum as I recall.

I was thinking about this. Make sure your "wine in" tube goes in at an angle so the wine runs down the side of the bottle. Or make it long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle.

I was thinking about this. Make sure your "wine in" tube goes in at an angle so the wine runs down the side of the bottle. Or make it long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle.

I was thinking about that also but, I think it will be okay without it.

When you place the fitting over the bottle you remove most/all oxygen and create a small vacuum in bottle. So,

I don't think the splashing would have the same effect.

Anyone have any ideas regarding this?

can't you just run the in tube through the hole all the way to the bottom?

Looking at the original pic, you could do away with the elbow and just run the tubing through the hole and place it as deep as you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back