Does anyone make a coiling coil that will fit in a standard Sanke keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
The only one I can think of is the Coolstix that Morebeer sells. I doubt it has the surface area to maintain a huge delta from ambient temps. Another option is to wrap copper tubing around the outside and then insulate.

The only one I can think of is the Coolstix that Morebeer sells. I doubt it has the surface area to maintain a huge delta from ambient temps. Another option is to wrap copper tubing around the outside and then insulate.
My basement is 73-68 year round. This is for ales and I like to target 65F during active fermentation.
I have a water system that I can run at 38F to pump through anything.

Coolstick, seems $$ for something that might not be enough.

I think copper around the outside would just sweat in my humidity.
There is the "cooling" jacket.

Cool Zone Cooling Jacket​

I think copper around the outside would just sweat in my humidity.
There is the "cooling" jacket.

Cool Zone Cooling Jacket​

Yes it would, but that's why you'd wrap it in insulation to keep warm moist air from touching the coil and keg. Actually, you'd want to do that anyway because any air that touches the keg would condense even if the cooling coil was inside.

They do theirs with 3/16" OD tubing. I am dubious of the cooling ability on a 15 gallon sanke. Sometimes the Spike coils struggle with that volume, depending on the temp delta.

I have a Spike 14.5gal conical with Spike cooling coil.
I can get it to 45F no issues. And nothing is insulated.

I am guessing if I insulated the conical and hoses my chiller wouldn't run as much.

Where would I look at to source copper coil to wrap around the fermenter?
Is that water or AC lines or something?

3/8" OD refrigeration style copper tubing coils (where the actual OD is 3/8") would work fine. I don't if you've ever worked with coils, but don't attempt to straighten out the coil only to recoil again. Just manipulate the coil to become the new diameter you need using the keg as the form itself.

" TC They do theirs with 3/16" OD tubing. I am dubious of the cooling ability on a 15 gallon sanke. Sometimes the Spike coils struggle with that volume, depending on the temp delta.
I missed that it was 3/16" but I also had sixtel size in my mind. I had been considering whether to keep my carboys or keep fermenting in cornies as I recently get two unis and a chiller, so I had been looking around myself for small coils. I agree, I think it is too small for a batch close to 15 gallons.

@homebrewdude76 Another option might be to have a TC port welded on? When I have seen the regular half barrel Sanke fermenters, they have had TC ports. Not sure of the size on what's sold, but if it's custom you get to pick the size! I also don't know about the pros and cons of the 15 gallon size. I've only brewed a little with the corny size.

The smallest coil besides the one from Anvil that I found was at Stainless Brewing at 3" for 1/4" diameter. I have to say I only learned of this company from a recent thread about a long delivery from there. The Temp Twister one is 3.5", and then so far I've seen a couple of 4" TC ones, but I didn't look for any other TC size besides 4" as that was the size I needed.

I missed that it was 3/16" but I also had sixtel size in my mind. I had been considering whether to keep my carboys or keep fermenting in cornies as I recently get two unis and a chiller, so I had been looking around myself for small coils. I agree, I think it is too small for a batch close to 15 gallons.

@homebrewdude76 Another option might be to have a TC port welded on? When I have seen the regular half barrel Sanke fermenters, they have had TC ports. Not sure of the size on what's sold, but if it's custom you get to pick the size! I also don't know about the pros and cons of the 15 gallon size. I've only brewed a little with the corny size.

The smallest coil besides the one from Anvil that I found was at Stainless Brewing at 3" for 1/4" diameter. I have to say I only learned of this company from a recent thread about a long delivery from there. The Temp Twister one is 3.5", and then so far I've seen a couple of 4" TC ones, but I didn't look for any other TC size besides 4" as that was the size I needed.

It's probably fine for cooling a 6th. I know it's possible to install a 2" TC into the lid of the Megamouth Keg and those come in 6 gallon and 10 gallon. A 2" TC inside diameter is only marginally wider than the inside of a Sanke neck. Actually, I'm getting so far off track. If one used the megamouth keg, you could easily install a temp twister coil into the area outside of the lid closure.

It's probably fine for cooling a 6th. I know it's possible to install a 2" TC into the lid of the Megamouth Keg and those come in 6 gallon and 10 gallon. A 2" TC inside diameter is only marginally wider than the inside of a Sanke neck. Actually, I'm getting so far off track. If one used the megamouth keg, you could easily install a temp twister coil into the area outside of the lid closure.
I was also looking at the Megamouths and thought that. They are shorter. I saw the price first however so I started thinking it might be a pricey suggestion since the Sanke is owned. I think the OP had a similar thought to mine in that I started thinking what can I also cool that I already have now that I have this chiller. It might be helpful for @homebrewdude76 to think about what types of beer they will be brewing and also any specific processes involved, like closed transfers and dry hopping. Those would be in addition to just figuring out the cooling coil. Just brainstorming, but a 4" tc port would allow Brewbuiltxs cooling coil with the floating dip tube. But then I think another tc port for dry hopping would be needed if they wanted to dry hop. Mainly because a complete 4" tc fitting doing all of it may not exist(?). I think Fermzilla lid does, with a coil, tc port and two ball lock QDs does exist. That's where I ended up but I don't have a Fermzilla. So back to cheapest for me is that Anvil coil with the four hole stopper. Probably just not worry about trying to dry hop in the carboy as I can do that in the uni. Also, adding another chilling line is another set of hoses, pump, fittings, hwating pad, and temp controller.

I picked up with Anvil coiling coil.
It is tiny, someone with the tools could probably bend one the next tubing size larger and still fit in a keg.

My room is 70F. Took about 20min to get a 5gal corny down to 56F
Now I got it headed to 50F.

I think insulating the lines to the coil will also help.

So this looks plausible to have a 15.5gal Sanke in a 72F room fermenting at 65F with this coil in place.
I ordered some #11 bungs to drill out for coil/thermowell/blow-off.

3 days of temps at 55F with the sanke keg filled to the top.
Now I am working on insulating the chill lines to address the condensation.
Not sure it is worth the effort to insulate the sanke keg.

Insulating the keg would help with condensation, which may not be a problem now but may worsen in the middle of summer. The other thing it would do is give you a lower minimum temperature. If you were to try cold crashing, it might bottom out at 45 without insulation and get to 40 with.... something like that. If neither of those things matter, it would just be a waste of money and effort.

Back