What should I do next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do next?

• Kegging Setup

• Fermentation Chamber

• Large Kreezer

• Small Kegerator

Results are only viewable after voting.

dakotabear

Reaction score
I've got my brew-day process down to where I like it right now... It's quick, easy, and efficient... I need some help deciding what my next project should be. I'd love some input.

Kegging Setup:
Reasons:
  • I currently have a 35# CO2 cylinder, and two 0-60psi regulators.
  • Running out of bottles.
Concerns
  • I don't actually mind bottling right now.
  • Don't currently have a space to cool them below 65º-68º

Fermentation Chamber (A.C. box style):
Reasons:
  • Have space in Garage.
  • Would like to have more fermentation space.
  • Better bottle conditioning.
Concerns
  • Alot of space that may better used for other things.
  • Efficiency.
  • Minnesota Winter (garage can get below 0).

Large Kreezer (9-14 cf.):
Reasons:
  • Could use a fermentation chamber for now.
  • Would then be ready for keg setup.
Concerns
  • Can't be in the house (SHMBO).
  • Minnesota Winter (garage can get below 0).

Small Kegerator (2 Tap):
Reasons:
  • SHMBO will allow it in the house.
Concerns
  • Capacity (I like variety).

Truth be told, I will be doing all of these eventually as time and finances come in. :)
I'm just looking for the next logical step.

Im against the keezer, simply because you dont have a kegging setup yet, AND you'll lose that ferm chamber once you do and be bummed.

Im against the small kegerator because you need the damn kegging setup first, dont you?

Im against the ferm chamber because you could in the meantime build a SOFC for like, $20? 50 with automatic control.

So Im for the kegging setup. That was my first step and Im happy with it. I had kegs and I put them in a large plastic tub with cold water and swapped out ice water bottles from the freezer to keep temp down for nice pours. Cheap and easy.

Basically, this is a story of what I did and why I think you should too.

THEN I went with a small fridge for a kegerator, 2 tap dealy, nothing big. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/prepare-your-gmr04-4-4cf-minifridge-kegs-76627/

Next on my list is to get a keezer, (Hopefully by then SWMBO will understand how awesome having beer in the house is and let you put this inside instead of the kegerator) I want 5 taps because 2 is great for now, I bottle a few batches (which you said you're OK with) but as I brew more and more I would like to have more variety on tap.

And lastly, Fermentation chamber, my minifridge will become part of this (as it will already have automatic temp control aswell) once I get a keezer built. If I tack an extra 50-75 on the cost of the keezer, Ill be set for both.

Some may argue controlling your fermentation temp is key to a great beer, and I'd agree with them. However, I think that's easily accomplished with tubs of water and ice, or a son of a fermentation chiller on the cheap.

Thats my 2c

Well, the kegerator has to wait until you're kegging, so that's gotta be last.
You can't keg because you don't have a fermentation chamber to hold temps.
So that leaves you with either a fermentation chamber or a keezer :D

I'd build the fermentation chamber so you have all the storage and aging room you'll need. Build it big enough to fit a bunch of cornys so you're ready for kegging!

Then it's a coin toss between a kegerator or a keezer. My vote would be for the kegerator because you can get it wast SWMBO and keep it in the house :rockin:

You'll have cold storage, serving taps, and a kegging system by the time you're done.

My suggestion would be the kegerator. Use this for your whatever you like to drink the most, and beers that are better fresh, and continue to bottle your more experimental and complex beers that you might want to age. depending on what you buy or build, you may have extra room for a few bottles in there, too. This also opens up the ability to buy some commercial kegs in case you want to.
The large freezer or A/C Box would be next good project. For your freezing concerns, you can install a heater of some kind, and use a dual stage thermostat (does both heat and cool)
My reasoning: kegs will immediately alleviate the bottle shortage, and be an instant gratification kind of project, plus you already have the co2 and regulator. If you are cheap like me keep your eyes on craigslist for a small fridge or freezer, and the classifieds here for a tower or shanks, but buy the best faucets (perlick fwd seal) and 3/16" ID beverage line new.
Once you have the keg thing going, your fermentation space will probably need to grow.
happy brewing

EDIT
I just noticed you have no temp control for fermentation. That should be a first. A small fridge and temp controller would be first on my list. That will be your fermentation fridge for now and would become your kegerator once you build or buy something for fermenting the garage. Pick up a couple kegs and connectors when you can, they make a nice place to store a batch of beer once it's done and off the cake. 3 or 4 kegs would be even better so one can be prepped for when one of the two being served goes empty. Keep your eyes open and ask around, this kind of stuff can just fall in your lap if folks know you're looking.

fermentation temperature control. You can set it up with dual control for the high and low (heating pad, etc). This is high on my list of projects. Just need to come up with the spare cash for the insulation.

EDIT
I just noticed you have no temp control for fermentation. That should be a first. A small fridge and temp controller would be first on my list. That will be your fermentation fridge for now and would become your kegerator once you build or buy something for fermenting the garage. Pick up a couple kegs and connectors when you can, they make a nice place to store a batch of beer once it's done and off the cake. 3 or 4 kegs would be even better so one can be prepped for when one of the two being served goes empty. Keep your eyes open and ask around, this kind of stuff can just fall in your lap if folks know you're looking.

I have a storage room that is consistently 65-70 in the summer. I currently have my fermenters in a swamp bath to help minimize fluctuation. They have been consistently 68º readings in the water, and on the fermenters.

I like the idea of the SOFC, but since I'm fermenting 3-5 things at a time, I feel the investment could be better placed elsewhere.

I see that a kegging setup is leading the pole... If that's the case, what kind of temperature tolerance should I have with the kegs? I was under the impression that I would need refrigeration after kegging.

Thanks for the insight so-far... Keep it comming! :mug:

I have a storage room that is consistently 65-70 in the summer. I currently have my fermenters in a swamp bath to help minimize fluctuation. They have been consistently 68º readings in the water, and on the fermenters.

I like the idea of the SOFC, but since I'm fermenting 3-5 things at a time, I feel the investment could be better placed elsewhere.

I see that a kegging setup is leading the pole... If that's the case, what kind of temperature tolerance should I have with the kegs? I was under the impression that I would need refrigeration after kegging.

Thanks for the insight so-far... Keep it comming! :mug:

You do need to refrigerate the kegs, I keep mine around 40. Before I had a kegerator I would just put the kegs in a big bucket with salt water, and bottles of ice that I swapped out with the fridge.

Its not great, but you get cold beer!

To those who are choosing "Kegging Setup"

Please explain.... Without a way to cool the kegs below room temp, why should that be my next move?

I went with the ferm chamber, 'cause thats where I'm at, so that's what I'd do. I keg, but have no keezer. If I want my beer cold, I put the keg in a bucket then put ice around the bottom of the keg in the bucket. Works fine.

i started with the keg and mini-fridge kegerator step first and then got into the craigslist fridge fermentation chamber after. I think the kegerator and keg setup is the most immediately gratifying, as stated above, and I would consider it one option, not two.

I think it cost me under $500 to get 2 used cornys($100), CO2 tank ($100), regulator ($50), taps and accessories ($100), kenmore elite mini fridge to hold 2 kegs ($100). Something like that. Worth every penny and I don't feel like I ever couldn't do "such and such" because of missing other equipment. If you go with the fermentation chamber or the keezer, you'll wish you had kegs to put in them.

In general, what good is a kegerator, fermentation chamber, and keezer without kegs, and why would you want to drink from a warm keg? Kegerator and keg setup it must be.....in my humble opinion!

dakotabear
Kegs do not have any different temp requirements than bottles. Think of it as a big, versatile bottle that you can either carbonate with sugar or with the co2 tank you have. If you're going the co2 route, than keeping the keg cold helps carb easier and at lower pressure. But you can just put the 1/2 to 3/4 cup priming sugar in the keg, put some co2 pressure on the keg to seal the lid, and let it do it's thing just like a bottle, then chill and serve when you like. Personally, I prefer to put the keg in the kegerator and hook it up to serving pressure for a couple weeks and it's carbed with no additional sediment, but I used to use sugar (dextrose) with great results.

dakotabear
Kegs do not have any different temp requirements than bottles. Think of it as a big, versatile bottle that you can either carbonate with sugar or with the co2 tank you have. If you're going the co2 route, than keeping the keg cold helps carb easier and at lower pressure. But you can just put the 1/2 to 3/4 cup priming sugar in the keg, put some co2 pressure on the keg to seal the lid, and let it do it's thing just like a bottle, then chill and serve when you like. Personally, I prefer to put the keg in the kegerator and hook it up to serving pressure for a couple weeks and it's carbed with no additional sediment, but I used to use sugar (dextrose) with great results.

Interesting.... I'm not in any hurry.... and I can chill before storing.... Looking around here, it looks like I can carb at room temp, just at a higher pressure... This changes my thought process a bit.

I think I'm going to do a Small kegerator build. Minifridges are popping up on cragslist for $30-60 each.
Then get started on a kegging setup. Since I'm already 1/2 way there with the equipment, and Midwest Supplies has used kegs for $30 (no shipping for me, I'm right down the road) seems like the smart thing to do.

Then my next project will be the fermentation chamber... But I think I'll wait until later fall for that. I'll get an AC unit on clearance, or used for next summer, but I'll wire in some heating for the winter.

Latest posts

Back