What seal to use on keezer lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
What is everyone using for your seal between a collar and a freezer? I am looking for options that allow the joint to hinge open.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You want the collar and the lid both on hinges? I've seen a few people on here use the stick on weather stripping you find at Lowes /Home Depot.

Basically, I plan to build a capped collar that uses the original hinges in the current location. I have seen some seals that look to be better than others. I need a good seal for what I am doing with a lot of compensation for misalignment.

So, I wanted to compile a list of options in one place.

Any thoughts besides the standard foam weather stripping?

Thanks

So I guess everyone is using house weather stripping?

I kind of expected someone to offer alternatives.

You could remove the seal from the lid and glue it to the bottom of the collar. Then silicone the lid to the collar, and secure with brackets inside.

That's one way I've seen it done, and until now, I thought that was the norm...

I just used 100% silicone to glue the collar to my freezer, and hinged the lid to the collar(2"x10"). The collar's weight plus the silicone holds it down nicely. I don't mind lifting the kegs another 10" or so, and I only have 3 taps that don't really get in the way. Just make sure the lid seals properly. Wood is almost never exactly straight. I sanded the hell out of mine and put a thin bead of silicone around where the lid rests too.

My friend did the same, except his lazy ass mounted a little pulley on his ceiling above his keezer. Actually... it's kinda smart and no one really notices. It's hidden behind a beer sign hanging from the ceiling.

What I am contemplating doing is making a collar on my freezer and a collar under my future countertop. The two collars will be cut at matching angles and the freezer would be on slides, so I can pull the freezer out like a drawer, and the two angled collars would meet when the drawer is closed. I would need a latch to keep the drawer shut. I would need a custom seal between the two collars since the angled face would be larger than the original flat lid.

This is what prompted the questions.

So I am looking for a very good seal that can be cut to length and mitered at corners. I was hoping for more options than weatherstripping.

FWI I have a wooden facade that prevents it from sliding and improve the look. The collar remains attached to the freezer and I use the original lid and hinges screwed into the back of the collar.

Now we are talking. Thanks for the feedback.

I like the idea of the custom fridge seal. I wonder how they seal the ends and corners. Maybe YouTube has instruction. I will have to look.

I was considering maybe a double bulb seal for the face of the collars, and an edge bulb or felt as wipers on the sides for backup.

I would silicone the lower collar to the freezer and epoxy the upper collar to the counter underside.

Back