What plastic containers could I use for freezing water and chilling my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
The obvious one, water bottles, which are made from PET are not high heat resistant (200f max), and so when mixed with boiled wort may leech off solvents.

What plastic containers could I use?

I shy away from glass as I believe the thermal shock could cause it to break.

I use 1 gallon freezer baggies. I tried using plastic bottles but the plastic acted like a bit of an insulator and I wanted more surface area so the cooling would happen faster. Fill them not quite full to allow for expansion. I use the ice to cool the water I use for my Immersion chiller but since they are food grade I don't see why you couldn't use them to cool the wort directly. Maybe others will have a better idea.

I did this yesterday for my brew. We have these nice food prep bowls that have lids. Food grade plastic. Poured the hot water in, sealed it up, and let them freeze into two big blocks. Ended up with 55 degree wort so i topped off the final half gallon with boiling water. Hit my ferm temp spot on. It was about 65.

I did this yesterday for my brew. We have these nice food prep bowls that have lids. Food grade plastic. Poured the hot water in, sealed it up, and let them freeze into two big blocks. Ended up with 55 degree wort so i topped off the final half gallon with boiling water. Hit my ferm temp spot on. It was about 65.

I currently do the same thing as well, use frozen treated water to hit my target volume, but with the extra space in my boiler I know I could stick a few ice packs in there assuming as long as they're made of the right kind of plastic

Latest posts

Back