What lager yeast in Sierra Nevada Lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I made plans to do a Summerfest clone which quickly morphed into a wheat clone (the one they used to make until 2000s) that got a few ingredients changed to a Voss and all crystal hops ale that I loved.

Now I don't have to try to make a clone this year.

Sierra Nevada previously had a lager, almost an exact German Pils clone, that was far better than Summerfest.
No longer avaiable.

Sierra Nevada previously had a lager, almost an exact German Pils clone, that was far better than Summerfest.
No longer avaiable.
Was it "nooner"?
That was a decent pils... and it was one of the firat to come in cans, too.
I miss it.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
  • download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
Was it "nooner"?
That was a decent pils... and it was one of the firat to come in cans, too.
I miss it.
If the trend toward lagers keeps going I wouldn't be surprised if it too came back around at some point.

They had a kolsch out for a quick minute too. It was hoppy as all get out but I liked it

Last edited:
I’ve always enjoyed their lagers so I’m glad to see summerfest is back this year. Nooner was a goodie too…but the one I miss most of all is Glissade!

I’ve always enjoyed their lagers so I’m glad to see summerfest is back this year. Nooner was a goodie too…but the one I miss most of all is Glissade!
I was able to order some cans of their Pale Bock last year, which I believe was pretty similar to Glissade, and it was quite a wonderful beer.

Sierra Nevada needs to learn that there are good beers besides ales.
I think they tried it about 5 to 10 years before the market was ready for it.
Summerfest, nooner, and a few more (can't remember names) but market was 100% west coast hops ipa at the time.
Here's to hoping Nooner comes back!

Also... when your brewery basically created the Ale Strain that startes the craft brew craze (see: "Chico" yeast, etc....) you gotta give respect for their ales.

I think they tried it about 5 to 10 years before the market was ready for it.
Summerfest, nooner, and a few more (can't remember names) but market was 100% west coast hops ipa at the time.
Here's to hoping Nooner comes back!

Also... when your brewery basically created the Ale Strain that startes the craft brew craze (see: "Chico" yeast, etc....) you gotta give respect for their ales.
Yes, they are well respected. But as lager fans, we wish they would also cater to us with some premium German styles.

Summerfest 2023 has hit store shelves! At least in the Northern California area. At Trader Joes, of all places.
Probably will be in the big chain stores very soon. Production/Package date 4/4/23.

Cheers all!

Edit next day:

Taste is as i remember (for what that is worth anymore!).
Easy drinking pilsner-esque taste. No 'snap' taste like a noble hop flavor.
Perfect beer for pools, mowing the lawn, or floating down a river.

Last edited:
Stumbled on this today...
Looks like "Nooner" is coming back.... but only as part of a variety pack. :(

(I was gonna make a joke like anyone close by wanna trade... but honestly these 4 beers were solid at the time they came out. They are probably pretty 'stale' now as far as hip new trends go. But rye and flipside were solid. And hop hunter started the Lagunitas lawsuit iirc....)

https://www.insidehook.com/article/booze/sierra-nevada-fan-favorites-ken-grossman/amp

Summerfest 2023 has hit store shelves! At least in the Northern California area. At Trader Joes, of all places.
Probably will be in the big chain stores very soon. Production/Package date 4/4/23.

Cheers all!

Edit next day:

Taste is as i remember (for what that is worth anymore!).
Easy drinking pilsner-esque taste. No 'snap' taste like a noble hop flavor.
Perfect beer for pools, mowing the lawn, or floating down a river.
I was disappointed in Summerfest. I get like a blueberry note or some fruit on it. Not what I want in a lager

I was disappointed in Summerfest. I get like a blueberry note or some fruit on it. Not what I want in a lager
I was also disappointed. Their Nooner Pilsner was a far better beer. But the bean counters killed that one.

I was also disappointed. Their Nooner Pilsner was a far better beer. But the bean counters killed that one.
Yeah.... i drank a few then slowed on them. I did not get rasberry... i've been waiting for 100 degree heat this summer to see if changes the flavor. Thankfully no suoer hot days yet.

Agree Nooner was great. If i can find the 12 pack sampler i am gonna snag one. I am curious on the rye ipa too... it's been at least 10 years for me on that one. 3 bottles seems like a good sample.

100% didn't care for it. Got the same. Thankfully the next batch of summerfest is lagering away in the kegerator and will be ready to tap in a week or two :)

Stumbled on this today...
Looks like "Nooner" is coming back.... but only as part of a variety pack. :(

(I was gonna make a joke like anyone close by wanna trade... but honestly these 4 beers were solid at the time they came out. They are probably pretty 'stale' now as far as hip new trends go. But rye and flipside were solid. And hop hunter started the Lagunitas lawsuit iirc....)

https://www.insidehook.com/article/booze/sierra-nevada-fan-favorites-ken-grossman/amp
Well, got my sampler.pack yesterday. ($20! Yeesh.).
Had the nooner... as best as i can recall it was what i remember. (Been what? Almost 10 years?)
It was a touch to malty for me. I think the market has added so many new Pilsners now that Nooner has some competition.
Also had a hop hunter IPA. Ditto- good, but so many options now.

I did notice the beer was bottled mid April... kind of a bummer for the IPA's to be released 60 days later.

Worth the $20 for the trip down memory lane.

Back