What lager yeast in Sierra Nevada Lagers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm on the hunt to find a lager strain similar to what Sierra Nevada uses for their house lager yeast. I did ask the brewery what strain they use and was told "house". Basically I'm looking to see what strain is being used for Summerfest, Cold IPA, etc. It doesn't taste like Wyeast 2124, w34/70, or a German style yeast but there's a good possibility I'm very wrong lol. Then again it's a lager so that makes it tougher lol Was wanting to see what strain may be close to their "house" lager strain. I'm still a noob but have been banking lager strains in the freezer for learning this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Following.

I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Thought about asking the brewery, especially since they aren't really doing Summerfest anymore I thought maybe they'd be more willing to share details. I already miss that beer and am bummed that it got replaced by yet another hazy. Hopefully the craft lager market will keep growing and they'll bring it back eventually.

Following.

I was just wondering the same thing the other day. Thought about asking the brewery, especially since they aren't really doing Summerfest anymore I thought maybe they'd be more willing to share details. I already miss that beer and am bummed that it got replaced by yet another hazy. Hopefully the craft lager market will keep growing and they'll bring it back eventually.

I've been on a venture to try and find the lager yeast...Or something close. I've tried

Omega Bayern (Augustiner)
Wyeast 2124 (Weinstephaner)
W34/70 (Weinstephaner)
WLP840 (Budweiser)

WLP802 (Budjevoice) Currently in the fermenter so haven't tried it yet

WLP1983 (Old Budweiser strain) Just tossed some frozen slurry on the stir plate

Next up is

WLP940 (Modelo)
WLP838 (Not sure of the origins)

I'm also going to play around with more dry strains to see what may be in the ballpark. Their lager is just so clean it's hard to tell unfortunately. Now with that said I had their cold IPA a few months ago in Asheville and that was very tasty! Hoping the palate is a tad more developed with lager yeasts before heading that way again!

18C607D4-9717-492E-9E87-D2695879E660.jpeg

I would love to try a Cold IPA from them! I was surprised by this as well. Im guessing its taproom-only?

It seems that way. They had a good bit of brews in the taproom that is not out for distribution. Honestly if I could get my hands on their blonde recipe...OH WHOA!!!

Last year they were still making summerfest, but it was only available at the (Chico) tap room.

Summerfest also made it to CA only shipping from their Chico location last year. Sold out fast.

Who(m) did you ask? They are pretty cool with homebrewers... maybe a 2nd or 3rd call/email will yield results? Call the chico ca location during regualr buisness hours.

If i score some summerfest i will hit you up.

Does anyone know why brewers are always so eager to disclose the hop varieties used, but secretive about yeast strains?
No but remember that professional breweries and big breweries especially are not buying a smack pack or two. They buy yeast in very large quantities, as in gallons at a time. Therefore they are not limited to the same “stock” choices we homebrewers are. Any of the yeast companies will do custom pours for them and pretty much sell them whatever they want when they are buying that quantity. No vault strains or private collection yeasts that they can’t have. They have way more options than we do.

I've been on a venture to try and find the lager yeast...Or something close. I've tried

W34/70 (Weinstephaner)
WLP840 (Budweiser)

Next up is

WLP940 (Modelo)

I'm also going to play around with more dry strains to see what may be in the ballpark. Their lager is just so clean it's hard to tell unfortunately. Now with that said I had their cold IPA a few months ago in Asheville and that was very tasty! Hoping the palate is a tad more developed with lager yeasts before heading that way again!
WLP840 should be the same as Wyeast 2007, thats about as clean and neutral as it gets.

They released 2035 American lager yeast from their private collection earlier this year if any of the online places still have it available that might be one to try. I got one of those and made a pre-pro lager with it that still has a few weeks of lagering left. I like to keep an eye on those limited release yeasts and which ones they are releasing. I don’t bank yeast with slants and such but I’m reading about how to freeze yeast with glycerine because I want to start saving some of these limited release strains since we can’t get them all the time. I’ve been looking for 2035 for years…it just hasn’t been available.

Even having the exact yeast we’re not likely to be able to produce the exact same beer. Due to different methods, process, handling, etc. Their yeast may even be on multiple generations, etc. The goal is usually just to get “close.”

W34/70 (Weinstephaner)
WLP840 (Budweiser)

Next up is

WLP940 (Modelo)

WLP838 probably won’t get you there. It doesn’t attenuate high enough to match what you are going for. I have been using that all winter and It leaves a bit of residual sweetness regardless of mash.

I will hopefully be trying a beer with WLP940 tomorrow as long as my LBS has it in stock.

WLP840 should be the same as Wyeast 2007, thats about as clean and neutral as it gets.

They released 2035 American lager yeast from their private collection earlier this year if any of the online places still have it available that might be one to try. I got one of those and made a pre-pro lager with it that still has a few weeks of lagering left. I like to keep an eye on those limited release yeasts and which ones they are releasing. I don’t bank yeast with slants and such but I’m reading about how to freeze yeast with glycerine because I want to start saving some of these limited release strains since we can’t get them all the time. I’ve been looking for 2035 for years…it just hasn’t been available.

Even having the exact yeast we’re not likely to be able to produce the exact same beer. Due to different methods, process, handling, etc. Their yeast may even be on multiple generations, etc. The goal is usually just to get “close.”

There is definitely a green apple ester to wlp840 that hasn't been in other strains. I'm really eager to give wlp940 a shot! Production brewing is definitely it's own thing. I'm just grateful there are so many options available for homebrewing!

If I could get fresh pitches on demand that would be preferable. As of right now it takes about 7-8 days of multi stepped starters to get the yeast ready for brew day. The batches have definitely been significantly better since I've been doing this. Guessing it has something to do with the yeast pitch rates being a bit heftier, the yeast is essentially fresh, or both?

Last edited:

W34/70 (Weinstephaner)
WLP840 (Budweiser)

Next up is

WLP940 (Modelo)

[...]
I'm impressed you've tried so many and I admire your dedication to figure this out.

I feel like though even when you're given the EXACT recipe (Lowercase Italian Pils, Highland Park Timbo, and others I have attempted come to mind), it can still be very difficult to replicate because of process differences. It could very well be one of the yeasts you've already tried.

Have you reached out to them directly? Keep us posted. Bummed I didn't get to try it!

Of all the yeast strains listed, my hunch is that WLP940 and WLP802 will produce the closest to your desired end product. If you mash for fermentabilty, pitch at the low end of their temp range and are patient with fermentation, these two will produce a dry, crisp lager with minimal to no yeast presence in the final product. And they floc pretty well even w/o keg fining.

FWIW, a few years ago I brewed a Pre-Pro and pitched Chico/US-05 at 55* and held for 6 days (90% attenuated by then) before ramping up to room temp for a few days. It was as clean as most any lager I’ve brewed before or since. I pitched 50% more US-05 than I would’ve done for a similar gravity ale.

Maybe consider blending US-05 w/ the lager yeast that turns out best?

Of all the yeast strains listed, my hunch is that WLP940 and WLP802 will produce the closest to your desired end product. If you mash for fermentabilty, pitch at the low end of their temp range and are patient with fermentation, these two will produce a dry, crisp lager with minimal to no yeast presence in the final product. And they floc pretty well even w/o keg fining.

FWIW, a few years ago I brewed a Pre-Pro and pitched Chico/US-05 at 55* and held for 6 days (90% attenuated by then) before ramping up to room temp for a few days. It was as clean as most any lager I’ve brewed before or since. I pitched 50% more US-05 than I would’ve done for a similar gravity ale.

Maybe consider blending US-05 w/ the lager yeast that turns out best?

I have wlp802 fermenting right now at 50F. This was just a simple Heidelberg almost Saaz smash. The AA was lower than expected when Saaz was ordered so I have to add a very tiny pinch of Magnum (6 ibus) to the first wort Saaz. The rest is all Saaz though. Anywho I did a step mash of 122F for 20 minutes or so then 147F for 75ish minutes. This malt probably didn't need that but I was bored and wanted to have some extra fun on brew day ;) wlp940 will be used in my take on Cream of Three Crops. It's a very dry brew and essentially flavorless. It's a very great lager yeast learning brew because that's the only flavor that stands out!
I'm impressed you've tried so many and I admire your dedication to figure this out.

I feel like though even when you're given the EXACT recipe (Lowercase Italian Pils, Highland Park Timbo, and others I have attempted come to mind), it can still be very difficult to replicate because of process differences. It could very well be one of the yeasts you've already tried.

Have you reached out to them directly? Keep us posted. Bummed I didn't get to try it!

You know I should reach out and write them...Guess that'll happen today! Either way this is a great journey on expanding the palate for lager yeasts!

Very interesting. I'm always curious when breweries say W34/70 or Weihenstephaner do they mean Fermentis dry yeast? Or do they mean one if it's equivalents. But in this case they actually linked it.

Was your attempt with W34/70 close?

I suggest we nevertheless continue chasing the phantom, discussing at length the minor nuances that we make ourselves believe we pick up when sampling different beers months apart. ("That beer that I made and drank last year in October had a teeny-tiny parsley note mid-palate that I don't pick up in this batch, which has more of a dried-oregano twist. Back to the drawing board!")

Very interesting. I'm always curious when breweries say W34/70 or Weihenstephaner do they mean Fermentis dry yeast? Or do they mean one if it's equivalents. But in this case they actually linked it.

Was your attempt with W34/70 close?

I ran into chloramine issues so never got to test that beer. Been using campden ever since though. There’s way too many beers in the pipeline to test out the clone recipe right now. Will have to be after summer since there’s some brew days coming up for a wedding I’m hosting soon. Also putting in a yeast order with morebeer soon to go ahead and get more strains banked up this year if they make it.

W-34/70 was our house lager yeast until we discovered Diamond Lager Yeast. In our brewing, Diamond produces a much cleaner ferment, and is very close to an authentic 5D, classic German Pilsner.

Overall, beers brewed with Diamond are more drinkable. Just our experience.

What was the ferment temp?

I ran into chloramine issues so never got to test that beer. Been using campden ever since though. There’s way too many beers in the pipeline to test out the clone recipe right now. Will have to be after summer since there’s some brew days coming up for a wedding I’m hosting soon. Also putting in a yeast order with morebeer soon to go ahead and get more strains banked up this year if they make it.
I wish I could get a hold of the real deal to try. Seems like it's hard to come by and I'm in Canada to boot so I'd say there's a very small chance of that happening.

W-34/70 was our house lager yeast until we discovered Diamond Lager Yeast. In our brewing, Diamond produces a much cleaner ferment, and is very close to an authentic 5D, classic German Pilsner.

Overall, beers brewed with Diamond are more drinkable. Just our experience.
I keep hearing this but the last beer I made with diamond was average at best. Will have to try again.

Make sure your yeast bank includes some WLP833 German Bock yeast, my favorite!

Sierra Nevada Nooner Pils...what yeast is used in this beer? It has been temporarily discontinued, which is a shame. The Nooner was exactly like the beers I would have on draft while in Germany. Very, very good.

No, not available anywhere. Have not had it in a long time. It was my favorite SN beer.
Yeah i agree- it was good. Summerfest was always good, too...
I live in Northern Cali so we see a lot of "trial" and special releaae beers. (We're 1.5 hour from the Chico brewery).

Keep us updated in your results, please!

Yeah i agree- it was good. Summerfest was always good, too...
I live in Northern Cali so we see a lot of "trial" and special releaae beers. (We're 1.5 hour from the Chico brewery).

Keep us updated in your results, please!
I've had some really good one off beers at their taproom. Too bad they don't put most into regular production

I've had some really good one off beers at their taproom. Too bad they don't put most into regular production
Yeah... Berkely has a really cool taproom too- lots of experimential stuff. Small batch, etc. I've only been once, but they had a lot of unique stuff.

You probably know that Anheuser-Busch does a number of pilot brews, that are placed in a few select markets for experimentation.

We tried several of the beers from AB while at the GABF a few years ago. They were good, very good. Anheuser can absolutely brew good beer!

Back