What is this foam in my boil kettle after transferring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittiz

Reaction score
I brewed the Cream of Three Crops cream ale recipe today with my Granfather, and after transferring to the fermenter I noticed foam on top of the false bottom, I don't recall having seen this kind of foam before, at this stage.

I haven't brewed with flaked rice before and it's been a very long time since I've used flaked corn, so I was wondering if any of those could cause this foam? It looks like the kind of foam a cleaning agent would leave behind, but I'm pretty sure that can't be it, I use PBW and the Grainfathers own "High performance cleaner", but I rinse very thoroughly after use.

The full grist was:
  • 2-row Pale ale malt
  • Flaked corn
  • Flaked rice
  • Torrified wheat
I also used Wyeast yeast nutrient and protafloc, which I use almost every brew.

I'm just curious if anyone knows what could cause it? IIRC it was mainly on the pump side on the false bottom, so could be an aeration thing too I guess, there was no visible foam under the FB.

IMG_20210815_162159.jpg

Looks like hot break (proteins) and probably lipids. i.e. nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reply. Yea not really worrying about it, just curious what caused it, but maybe it occurs in every brew and I just for some reason have never seen it in this form before.

Latest posts

Back