What's Going On Inside My Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdavis2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Batch of Red Ale inside a 5 gallon keg is pouring mostly CO2 with a bit of foam. Sprits of beer come through as well. It feels like there is at least 1.5 gallons of liquid left in the keg. I use a floating dip tube.

Since this is in my keezer (really just a chest freezer) and not my kegerator I have to use a picnic tap. I have to bleed the pressure from roughly 12 psi down to 3 psi or I get to much foam on the pour. My thought is that bleeding the pressure is causing excess foaming leading to my issue but I've been kegging for a couple of years and haven't had this issue before.

I've been able to lean the keg and get a little more beer out but it returns to foam/CO2 rather quickly. I don't want to do anything drastic because my beer has cleared up nicely after a couple of months in the keg.. don't want to move it much at all

Any thoughts?

place a SS nut or fender washer to slide over the hose. It will keep the hose looped down into the beer and the pickup end properly orriented.

You are getting air pockets into the hose.

place a SS nut or fender washer to slide over the hose. It will keep the hose looped down into the beer and the pickup end properly orriented.

You are getting air pockets into the hose.
Thanks I will definitely do that moving forward. Never had an issue with the floating dip tube's before but from doing some research, it was only a matter of time.

Back