What is the best "string" to tie off muslin bag, that won't break down over time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottballz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm going to be brewing my bourbon chocolate stout again and was thinking of just doing the secondary in my keg. I am planning on putting the cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, and bourbon soaked oak cubes in a Muslin bag and tying it off with some kind of string that I can also tie off at the top of the keg for easy removal after a few months. I just don't want to use anything that will break down over time and possibly impart some off flavor. Any suggestions?

Just tie it off with itself. You lose a little capacity, but you don't have to worry about anything. You could also use an all-plastic twist tie (sanitized of course). Not sure if those are food grade for long term contact, but I use them all the time when I am siphoning to keep a permanent coffee filter on the end of my autosiphon.

All cotton kitchen string/twine. Same thing that is used to tie a roast or the turkey legs before roasting.

I stick with fishing line.

+1 I have found the dental floss breaks more often than not for me. I have all sorts of test LB fishing line so it's not an issue since a thin piece of 5LB test line will easily hold up for dry hopping, grains steeping, etc...

Also, I've boiled the fishing line for 20 minutes to sterilize it and it held up fine for dry hopping with a 1 inch stainless steel ball in the Muslin bag.

I'd go with either high weight fishing line or zip ties. You won't ever have to worry about either one breaking down during storage. Also, if you're worried about sanitation you can easily store either of them in an alcohol bath or bottle until you're ready to use them.

Back