What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottles and labeled two cases of Pils for a college reunion

image.jpg

View attachment trim.5B087F82-196A-4F9C-B428-B2AA4EC9281A.MOV

After a 2 year hiatus, decided to rebuild my homebrew system. Bought a new kettle, burner, fermenters, and other gear.

After a 2 year hiatus, decided to rebuild my homebrew system. Bought a new kettle, burner, fermenters, and other gear.

Hell yea. Cheers to that! :mug:

I cleaned out an old 5 gallon plastic carboy. I needed a way to transport water from my LHBS since the water at my house sucks.

Bottled my first 1 gal batch of Lacto-soured beer. Had to improvise the process a bit to work off the small volume fermenter, but things worked out pretty well.

Dry hopped my marris otter mosaic smash with 2 oz of mosaic. Bottling this weekend for sure

Brewed a simple American Pale Ale today to get back to brewing what I want. I got into a bad habit of brewing what my friends/family like best rather than what I want.

Tested the FG of my Echo Ale(named for the town I live in!), only 1.017 so giving it to Monday to see if it drops a bit more. Recipe calculator says 1.011 for an FG so it is close(and I could probably have bottled it).

Bottled 2 cases of blood orange hefeweizen that I planned to bottle last weekend. Oh well, I don't think an extra week of sitting on the puree is going to kill it. Now to just see what it's like in about 10 days or so. I did overshoot my priming sugar a little. I had planned on 3.2 vol/CO2 using 5.61oz sugar, but didn't have my notes with me, and measured out 5.95oz of sugar givin about 3.4vols instead. Hope the new bottles are up to the task.

Kegged and bottled 6.5 gallons of Pale Ale-d last night, grain bill for T/C's sweet Amber Ale ready to brew for Monday.

I asked my lhbs to order some wlp028 (Edinburgh strain) yeast! I will pick it up in a week. So eager to try this strain and have a wee heavy recipe ready to go.

I decided I better do a test mash for the stout I'm brewing this weekend, so I'm bringing my little analytic scale (the one I use to weigh water additions) to the LHBS so I can measure out 22 grams of roast barley, 22 grams of crystal malt, etc. it'll be fun explaining the scale if I get pulled over. [emoji38]

Got my wife mad by drilling a spigot hole on my new bottling bucket and cleaning my brewing gear instead of cooking. Emptied a room temp closet for my fermenter, just gotta figure where to shove all the crap I pulled out from there. Beer oughta help with that! :mug:

Got the water hooked up in the new brewery. Bought 5 oxygen tanks and a regulator. Got the tanks at auction, bonus they are all full.

Deboned some pork shoulder steaks to grind for chili later. Got an old Weaver scope from the 70's cleaned up to put on my restored 160 Pellgun. Lookin' up some more info on my new Winchester 1400CS. Beer & vodka atm.:mug:

Bottled five gallons each of Pre-Prohibition Lager and Russian Imperial Stout.

Playing around with Brewer's Friend's recipe editor to see what I will make tomorrow.

Bought 5# of wheat malt for next weeks Belgian blonde ale. Got 1.5 cases of empty bottles... Yay.Oh, and I found out that the lhbs carries Cry Havoc!

Finally got around to giving a test drive of my new SS Brewtech kettle and insulation jacket for BIAB. Hopefully I can get brewing again after a 10 month hiatus. Ball valves and camlocks are a great thing. Much easier than siphoning. Also made a yeast starter with a boil over. Never again will I mess with other equipment while a starter is boiling in the stove.

Back