What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moved all my brewing equipment to he new house and also my kegarator and full kegs so now I have no home brew here to drink I guess I will need to fill growlers up and bring them here until I get fully moved in

Checked gravity on pils. Still at 1.038 after a week at 48F. Once she hits 1.020 it's off to 65F then keg. Also pre-cleaned my Chronical with TSP. Letting everything dry before passivating with PBW. Then it's beer makin' time.

For the first time since November last year, I purchased ingredients and got my new BIAB setup ready for an early morning brew. Recent move has set me back a bit. Been using a cooler mash tun for the last 3-4 years and want to see what this BIAB is all about. Going to brew haus pale ale with centennial hops and san diego super yeast.

Split hops with my brother (northern brewer, cascade and centennial); soaking bottles to sanitize; bought bottle caps and yeast (cry havoc and wlp028 Edinburgh).

Now I am gonna drink some...

took og on my Belgian blonde (1.064!) and pitched rehydrated S-33. Then it's off to work so I can afford more beer stuff!

Kegged my Christmas ale, KRAMPUS a spiced dark amber. It takes a few months to mellow out, sample taste was hot ( spicy and alcohol ) but smelled great. This was based on the NB kit Festivus, with bumped up spice and extra DME.

KRAMPUS getting kegged.
Sorry for the size of photo, I tried to make it smaller.

20161001_150238_resized.jpg

Not today, but yesterday I dropped off my entries for my first competition. Judging is on the 9th, and awards ceremony on the 23rd

Took apart my March 809. I've heard a lot of chatter over the years about whether or not folks take theirs apart for cleaning. Typical 50/50 stories; half found "tons of junk" and the other half found a squeaky clean interior. Of course all boast impeccable cleaning practices [emoji6]

I found no junk although it was a little stinky from the standing rinse water from last month's brew sesh. Anyhow, glad I took a peak inside for peace of mind. Neat to see the inner workings of the pump. Pretty slick. Also lubed it up and replaced the teflon tape on all threads.

Did my first keg to keg transfer, I think I like this dry hopping in the keg thing. Northeast IPA is on deck.
Also kegged a black IPA.

Briefly contemplated another brew night but I think it can wait until sunday.

I did my best to kick a keg of a delicious British Blonde Ale while watching football. Trying to make room for a lager in my keezer. The sacrifices we make for beer am I right?

A week ago I looked at brewing plans for the fall/winter and decided to buy some leaf hops in bulk. Now this rarely happens to me but as I was looking at Hops Direct and Yakima Valley they announced the 2016 release. So I ordered away, buying by the pound because it was clear I would use it all and it would be cheaper that way.

Even though I knew I was ordering right from the hops fields instead of buying older stuff locally I was completely unprepared for the amazingly powerful aroma of the Citra leaf package I opened this morning during my first NEIPA brew session. Pungent and powerful to a degree that I've never experienced before. I might be hooked on fresh hops in bulk.

IMG_1337.jpg

Swapped an airlock for a blow off tube. Just in time. It hurts to watch my precious beer get wasted, but better than taking a chance on ruining an entire batch...

Had a party with about 30 people yesterday to BBQ, watch college football, and drink my beer to make room for my new brews. Today cleaned the 3 kegs they killed, transferred new brews into them, and cleaned fermenters. Marks keg washer makes quick work of kegs/fermenters, best cleaning investment ever. Now to make a ring to extended the sides to fit my brew kettles.

Brewed for the first time since Aug. Exceeded OG by a cpl points. Like falling off a log.

Bought a 6.9 cuft chest freezer. This means I'll be able to ferment three 5gal Better Bottles or even three 6.5 gallon BMBs at once. ... once I build the collar, that is...

Furthermore, this frees up my current fermentation chamber (an upright fridge/freezer combo) to be re-commissioned as a kegerator.

Boomsauce!

Pitched a 4L starter to 11.5 gallons of NEIPA-to-be. First NEIPA for me - all excited and ****. Almost can't get to sleep.

Racked two carboys of Imperial Stout to secondary for bulk aging at 65. One was at 1017 and the other at 1022. Go figure. Maybe I didn't swirl the yeast enough to get an equal pitch. Anyway the 1017 is borderline dumpable. The 1022 is just okay but way more dry than I'd like for this stage. At this stage I'd like sticky sweet and boozy. Let that sit and mellow out for a few months.

Not sure what to do with the 22.

Built the wooden backbone for a collar to go on my new fermentation chamber.

<-------- WORST. CARPENTER. EVER.

...I was sober, even. If I knew it was going to turn out looking that bad, at least I would have had a couple brews.

I'm not sweating it too much, though. Once the insulation and tape is in place, the gaps will be filled and so far everything looks like it's going to sit level, even if it looks like crap. We shall see...

I picked up the grains to make 5 gallons of Revvy's Kentucky Common and a single gallon of the Apple Pie Ale featured in this month's BYO.

BBT DELIVERED MY TORPEDO KEGGING SYSTEM! ...from morebeer.com.

SO thrilled to see it. SO sick of bottling.

NOW, to brew something to put into it!

Made a starter and then checked volumes. It's been a while.
Measured 1.1L HOT water. It helps dissolve DME.
Added 150 g DME.
brought up to a total weight of 1.5kg.

Yeah a little too concentrated for a yeast calculated to have ~50% viability from Homebrew dad. It hasn't done anything but sit on the stir plate. I hope to wake up to better news.
Edit: a few days ago I replaced all my keg gaskets because one had a bad air in gasket (dry rot) and I lost a 20 lb tank.

Back