What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
went to go pick up my LHBS order. You order online and can either pick up in store of free, or at one of 6-7 local breweries (also for free) if you don't want to pay for shipping. 1lb of amber dme for <3.50 CAD after sale price, and club discount.

Bottled five gallons of Revvy's Kentucky Common, a gallon of pale ale made of the little bits of grains I had kicking around, and racked my Apple Pie Ale onto some more fresh apples.

Found a full bottle of beer in among what I thought were all empties, so that's a bonus. Found beer is the best beer.

Assembled and tested the new Banjo Burner on my 10 gallon SS Brew Tech brew pot with 7 gallons. much cleaner and even burn that my previously King Cooker burner and most importantly , no scorching.

Kegged my latest batch, a Motueka Pale Ale.

only my seconed time brewing on my new setup, still dialing it in. Hit my numbers within 1 point.

First time cold crashing as well, beer is crystal clear and tastes great.

Poured my first draft of homebrew after bottling for 3 years. Was delicious and easy. Should have changed over years ago

I tried something totally new. Last night I started an overnight cold steep of about a pound of dark grains for the schwartzbier I'm brewing today. I'll mash the base grains alone then add the extract from the dark stuff with 10 mins left in the boil.

Cleaned up from last nights brew sesh. Pitched some yeast. Adjusted pressure on a Citra pils. Drank and bought some Jester King beers.

Bought 55# of pilsner malt. Got my grains ground for my nut brown ale. (Getting set to brew an election day brown ale!)

Harassed the kind blokes at the local refrigerator shop for a bit. Eventually we tracked down a westinghouse without an ice box that should make a great little kegerator. :mug:

Poured my first draft of homebrew after bottling for 3 years. Was delicious and easy. Should have changed over years ago

Yes! I just kegged my first batch today! I'm going to chill it overnight and force carb tomorrow.

I agree: why don't we all just start out with kegging right away? I know, I would never have done it because of money issues. But, setting aside a little bit of hemming and hawing because I'd never actually done it before, it was SO friggin' easy!

I'm going to score a beer gun for those occasional situations where a growler won't get things done. That said, I'm hoping to be done with large-scale (for me, at least) bottling for a long time.

:mug:

kegged a coffee stout which i have pretty low expectations for. cleaned out the conical. getting ready for a IIPA next weekend.

Bottled 5 gallons of grapefruit IPA, transferred a house pale ale to secondary to clear :)off: I know, I know...I use secondary with low headspace to let beer clear before bottling when the larger primary is in use) and brewed 5 gallons of coffee stout

switched coffee stout to nitro. recirculating PBW through this damn plate chiller. Its such a love/hate relationship.

I went and picked up a couple of 50L carboys I've had my eye on. $20 a piece.

IMG_2109.jpg

I went to pick up the grain for a dark mild Brit. when I got there they were out of cry 40 so I asked what would they recomend for a subsitute and they said equal amounts of cry 20 and 60, Well I know it cant taste even similar but I thought what the heck maybe it will be good. In hindsite I think I should have went with Bairds 30,37 and 70,80 and it might have tasted more british. But at the worst it can be is beer tho I wont give it to my boss, that is who I brewed this for.:mug:

Ordered all the bits to add a nitro tap to the keezer. Should be dispensing a nitro oatmeal stout just in time for thanksgiving!

Bought the ingredients for my Saison de Noël.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Saison de Noël
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 96.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.6 SRM) Grain 1 55.6 %
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 33.3 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 11.1 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 4 16.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 1.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 mi Hop 7 1.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
0.75 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 9 0.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 10 1.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belle Saison (Lallemand/Danstar #-) Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: (1) Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge 148°F
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 4.00 gal of water at 155.8 F 148.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.33gal) of 168.0 F water

got these openers from pointcity-homebrew @
drink local openers. he did a fantastic job with my bee logo!!
100_2866.jpg
Highly recommended if you want a custom opener.

Zested, peeled, and puréed 50 pounds of blood oranges then picked up 50 more to do tomorrow

I had to Slog thru a nother brew of English dark mild. :) It was quite relaxing and I hope to do it again soon. I am worried about the recipe as Morebeer was out of crystal 40 and this brew needs a pound of it. I tried a sub that I dont agree with now. But if it doesnt work I will still have beer to drink.:mug:

Latest posts

Back