What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cooler is so big and flat, the thermometer goes usually all the way to the bottom and I can move it around to get readings from diff areas. Jus simple.
Loose rivets can be tightened up by using two hammers. Have someone hold the item, place the flat part of one hammer on the mushroomed side, and strike the other side with the head with the other hammer. Ball peen or claw hammers work fine. Good and hard. Should only take a few hits.

The rivets hold the handles to the kettle snugly. They just aren't water tight. I'm thinking high-temp silicon sealant or something, applied liberally to the outside. It will be a while before SWMBO will be OK with my spending a few hundred on a kettle and burner, since I just bought the coolers for all-grain.

Trippel-A said:
The rivets hold the handles to the kettle snugly. They just aren't water tight. I'm thinking high-temp silicon sealant or something, applied liberally to the outside. It will be a while before SWMBO will be OK with my spending a few hundred on a kettle and burner, since I just bought the coolers for all-grain.

JB Weld??

Ordered 9 back issues of BYO.
They were on sale for $2.50ea
The 10th one increased shipping from $8 to $14
(what the **** Man)

I'm a newbie, so I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

'da Kid

Filled my mash tun lid with spray foam, then put the second coat of stain polyurethane on my stir plate and it has horrible runs on it. This product sucks. I've ever had this issue with a two step process.

For you to get that, it means someone stopped homebrewin. And thats sad :(

Yeah, He is trying to raise money to start his own business, and figured that his home brew stuff was a good source of money, and he hadn't brewed in a while...

Washed some yeast yesterday,got the stuff for a ghetto lapel mike as well. Cleaning yeast washing jar now,gotta couple bottles to rinse-n-scrub. Then anniversary dinner shop & shoot some video.

Kegged and bottled my Experimental Dubbel with D90..only 7.8%, but freakin' good already..had to take a sample while taking my FG reading!!

Bought a mill, finally. Tomorrow afternoon ill make a starter and Saturday morning ill be brewing!

I brewed 4 12 gallon batches. 1 cobbler bitter, 2 ipa's and one pilsener. I also filtered and carbonated 80 gallons of beer. I now have to take gravities of 10 12 gallon batches as well. Brewing is my job....this isnt all for me. Hahaha.

Finished a fermentation chamber.

ForumRunner_20130815_204017.jpg

Shared some Deadringer Ale and Arrogant bastard clone ale w/ neighbors....letting my Oatmeal APA rise slowly from 60 ambient up to 70 over few days after fermenting at 60 for 4 solid days. Can't wait to try this one!

Drank some homebrew. Loved it. Only my 3rd n 4th batch. N they came out excellent for only being bottle conditioning for 2.5 weeks.
Even better-I'm developing my pallet enough to know what to add into my experimental batches to make them spot on.
Even better than that-thru this site n all of u amazing beer geniuses that is HomeBrewTalk, I now know how/when to impart different flavors into my beers.

GOD I LOVE HOMEBREW TALK
YOU GUYS ARE THE SH*T

Still got some more bottles to clean & stash. The mini PC mic seemed to work toward raising my video's sound levels even though movie maker was screwing up with the mike settings. So one more beer video is up & running.
Wish I'd have brewed these next two IPA's a couple days ago with these cooler temps we've been having. Didn't get the rest of the ingredients till yesterday though. Well,I guess I'll have to keep an eye on the weather reports. Damn,I need to get that $$ to start my ferment chamber.

Boxed up 748 oz's worth of rinsed out empties.
I still haven't decided if they need the full treatment (Oxy soak, jet rinse, dishwasher run, StarSan soak) the next time I bottle or if I should send them straight to StarSan.

I just bought my next recipe for my next brew. And I topped off my bottle caps and cleaner all while visiting and supporting my local homebrew store.

I imagined myself brewing my next batch of India Pack Ale. And drank a home brewed Caribou Slobber. And sampled my home brewed Oberon in a bottle waaaasayyyyyy too early, but I still enjoyed it.

Well, I picked up two more Rogue XS bottles last night, but more importantly, I found out that one of my closest friends from my childhood (our high school reunion is today), with whom I had dinner last night, is also a homebrewer.

Well,I forgot about two full hop sacks I'd put in a bowl at the end of the boil to cool down. Put'em in the fridge after the last batch of Berlin Wheat got brewed & for got asbout'em. Till this morning. Moldy & a little freeze dried from being in the fridge. I decided to beat the dead horse,& emptied/rinsed them as well as I could. Black spots from where hop bits got moldy. Dang,I wish I'd have grabbed the camera.
Anyway,I put'em in a small SS sauce pan with some water & alid,darn near full. Boiled that for about 45 minutes,drained filled again & boiled again. The clean 2nd boil did pull out some more residue. Then got out that plastic deli style meat container (ones I showed in gadget video)put the hop socks in,& filled to the mold line below the lid surface with PBE while the socks were still hot. 5-7 day soak should do it. I've gotten some nasty lookin hop & grain socks clean before. Out of some 12 socks (grain & hop sizes),I've only had to toss one that got burned. It was burnt too bad to save. Hence my reason for putting a cake cooling rack in the bottom of my BK/MT. No more burned socks/bags.
I still have some bottles & cans to clean. Some for the collection,others for extra bottles,& the rest back into rotation.

Unloaded my new single tier brew stand, took gravity readings on Autumn Amber Ale, Pumpkin Beer and Christmas beer.

Rearranged my garage to make sure there was room for my fermentation/lagering freezer as well as my truck in anticipation of winter, picked up some switches and other accessories for my RIMS panel, picked up my scoresheets, 2nd place medal, and other swag from last Monty's homebrew competition.

1. Finally sourced a ferm fridge.

2. Tasted my Citra/Centennial APA that's only been in the bottle for 5 days (curiosity got the better of me). Already decently carbed, but more importantly its damned delicious! Like surprisingly delicious. My best beer yet. It was my 5th AG batch and its pretty exciting to know that my system is now dialed in and I can consistently hit my numbers.

Gonna brew this again soon. This batch will vanish in no time.

Washed some bottles,put a bunch of beers in the fridge for anniversary the 27th,& gotta re-arrange some newly emptied beer boxes. Can't wait for a cool spell to get those two IPA's goin.

I drank the first glass of my all-grain Octoberfest with a 'C' Ale in honor of this lovely fall weather we have been having. And...damn. It's delicious. Like...I would enter it into a competition but I don't want anyone else drinking it.

I also cleaned up my mess from yesterday's all grain Oktoberfest lager disaster that turned out not so bad...so far.

Came home from work, kicked a keg of Dirty Blonde (overly hopped Centennial Blonde w/S04). Was initially sad until I realized I've had the opportunity to drink and share a lot of good beer this summer. Replaced the Dirty Blonde with the Big Irish Red (overly efficient, 7%).

Back