What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poked around in my boxes of empties wondering if any full ones had been left behind. Found I only have 15 bottles of homebrew in the house. The corny on tap feels like its down to half and the altbier in the closet still has a few weeks to age.

I need to brew soon... Honey Orange Wheat.
Will have to wait as I am on call next weekend.

Added a french press full of cold brewed coffee and bottled a batch of Deception Stout...

Pulled of the painters tape, knocked out the hole fill pegs and did some trim work on the epoxy. Slapped down a bead of silicone and placed the collar. On went the lid and in went the gear.

Tomorrow, I'll drop the kegs in.

First craft draft getting real close :ban:

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

About to drink a couple ales; also I checked on my watermelon ale I have on secondary and it smelled awesome!

Not really today per-se but its within the spirit and intent of the thread.

Saturday woke up nice and early (10am) went to the farmers market nice and early to get run over by people with triple seat strollers, decided (swmbo) that we were feeling extra crafty and went to pick about 1lb of mulberries (dominated that mulberry tree with a ladder) for a future Mulberry Wheat Ale.

Then decided we were even more crafty and went and picked about 12lbs of blueberries. 5lbs of which will become a Blueberry Lambic experiment, still deciding on what yeast to use, torn between Wyeast 3278 and 3763. Need to go buy lots of New Glarus lambics so I can bottle purely in 750ml bottles.

Been working on 2 brew paddles, yesterday I got my basic shape sawed out and sanded down a good bit, will be rerouting the top of the neck and handle bottom, then sanding down the rest to finish my bigger brew paddle today.

1. Put some 3711 on the stir plate for brew day Wednesday. Don't make fun of my "vortex" :)

2. Reached my savings goal for a keezer build. Plans started with a single keg mini fridge. Now I'm at a 5 tap keezer. Shalom.

3. Dry hopped my Citra/Centennial APA. Smells like my hopes and dreams.

image-3922207797.jpg

Worked on keezer, brewed a chocolate porter (from Dan's recipe book - if you live in Vancouver you know of who I speak) and put a honey brown into cold crash, washed some kegs. Good day actually

:mug: Trying my own recipe for a Coffee Stout. Oh yeah, any association with Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que is unintentional.
Using: 5 gal R/O water
7 lbs. of Dark Malt
15.9 AA Millennium bittering hops
Ale yeast
Cold Brewed Rwanda-Sumatra blend coffee.
Wish me Luck.

In Bottles:
Jelly Donut,(Raspberry Brown) Ale
Snik-L-Fritz (lemon citrus wheat) Ale

In primary:
Papazian's "Who's in the Garden Grand Cru"

Racked a German Alt and a Belgian Trippel. Harvested yeast from the German Alt.

Good day in the brew house (kitchen).

Also, popped the cap off of 2 cold beers, poured them into a glass, and drank them.

Beer is good.

Something is terribly wrong with me. Instead of "picked these" I read "pickled these" and thought "hmmmmm... I think I might like pickled blueberries. Intrigued am I."

TNGabe said:
Picked these.

That's a lot of blueberries! and one pinkish orange one. How big are those buckets and what do you plan on brewing with them? I'm intrigued.

Something is terribly wrong with me. Instead of "picked these" I read "pickled these" and thought "hmmmmm... I think I might like pickled blueberries. Intrigued am I."

You might be a pickled blueberry. ;)

That's a lot of blueberries! and one pinkish orange one. How big are those buckets and what do you plan on brewing with them? I'm intrigued.

Yeah, we got a few in there that aren't ripe. One gallon buckets, so about 28 lbs probably. I generally use 2 lbs of fruit per gallon of beer. All I've got planned for now is 5 gallons of Berliner Weisse. I've got 10 different long term sours going and a few more will be brewed this week, so it's always good to have fruit in the deep freeze for blending time in the fall. There will be more to pick next week, so we'll try and pick and least this many again.

You might be a pickled blueberry. ;)

Yeah, we got a few in there that aren't ripe. One gallon buckets, so about 28 lbs probably. I generally use 2 lbs of fruit per gallon of beer. All I've got planned for now is 5 gallons of Berliner Weisse. I've got 10 different long term sours going and a few more will be brewed this week, so it's always good to have fruit in the deep freeze for blending time in the fall. There will be more to pick next week, so we'll try and pick and least this many again.

For blueberries you may want to bump that up considerably and possibly use a bit of extract to get a blueberry flavor. Very delicate so the flavor gets lost easily in beer.

Today I:

Updated beer inventory
Grain inventory
Put together order list
Had a couple meetings to discuss upcoming brews
Gained ground on a couple of changes I have been working on for a while.

bottled and kegged my Altbier.
Then I re capped the bottles as I forgot to add the fizz tabs. As I only do 9 bottles it was not that big of deal.

1.) Drank some of my Workaholic SMaSH Blonde Ale
2.) weighed and froze some blueberries off my bushes
3.) worked through the night again (so I can get my paycheck and keep brewing)

cheers!

I cut,dug & weeded my ass off in the lamp post garden today. It was so damn humid that even though I had to sit (bad back & hips),I still got soaked with sweat. A mist hung in the air at one point as well. Cleaned up & gettin ready to shoot another Tgif Tasting video. This week I'll combine my regular vid with the tasting one...might keep it that way. Not sure yet. After that,goin for more beers & vodka. Startin to like gettin the gardens cleaned up for fall mulching. The cacti went nuts this year. It's miller time now! :rockin::mug:

So I've found out that if I buy brewing equipment gradually over time instead of all at once my SWMBO asks a lot less questions. That being said, I ran down to AIH today and picked up a 10b CO2 tank and should be pouring draft beer shortly. :ban:

Brewed my biggest beer to date, 1.100 OG quad with ECY02 Flemish blend slurry and t-58. Visible fermentation after less than 3 hrs, I hope there is some beer left after all the blow off. 9 hr brew day, grind to clean up. 24 lbs through a corona mill including 2.25 lbs wheat berries and 2.25 lb shell corn. Cereal mash and double decoction, 2.5 hr boil.

I dumped 10 gallons of infected beer (gag the dog infected) and planned a brew day tomorrow to replace said beer. I think I'm gonna just do 5 gallons of Saison, and call it a day. I'll do a rugby clone in a week, or so...

trying to reconfigure my brewing scheduled...

On call scheduled at work has been tossed out to add more people to the mix. Now no one is quite sure who is on call when. Good news is that instead of once every 4 weeks now I am only on call once every 6 weeks.

We tapped and poured our first two kegs. 5' lines at 39 degrees. Great pours. Having a party tomorrow and hopefully we wont 'float' both of them as we have no new beers ready to brew yet.

Worked up a starter with Wyeast Bavarian Lager for tomorrow's Oktoberfest, built a new wooden brew stand, cleaned out the keg that I converted into a mash tun, hooked up lengths of hose to camlock fittings, connected camlock fittings to my Chugger pump, took the pump and hoses for a test run. Tomorrow's brew day is going to be interesting!

Back