What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nearly made a big boo-boo. I kegged my Golden Promise/Centennial lawnmower beer. At least that's what I thought I did. I really kegged my Simcoe/Citra/Centennial IPA. Which means I almost dry-hopped the lawnmower beer with a huge dose of hops.

Turns out to be no big deal - I'll just dry hop the IPA in the keg, but I think I'll resume labeling my fermenters from now on.

EDIT: Oh, and my LHBS got a new shipment of cornies, so I grabbed one and it's in REALLY good shape - looks practically brand new.

Kegged my Raspberry Wheat this morning smells strong but also tastes a bit tart from all the Raspberries I used, hoping the priming sugar and a week under pressure evens it out more, still not bad for my first all grain batch.

Nice. I am sampling my raspberry wheat tonite! Been in bottles 2 weeks but I just can't hold off any longer.

Fixin to go get some grains and brew tomorrow and/or Sunday. Gonna be a beer weekend for this guy!

Bottled half of my saison and racked the rest onto five pounds of pomegranate. Then this afternoon I packed up a 33 pound crate and shipped it off for a trade. Created and printed the labels for the freshly bottled saison (and if I get to feeling really energetic, I'll put them on the bottles!)

Only thing I still need to do is finalize the recipe for my American Barleywine. Going to visit my good friend next weekend and am going to surprise him by bringing all my brewing equipment so we can do an all grain brew (he's only done Brew Kettle and partial grain extract brews at home.) :mug:

Only thing I still need to do is finalize the recipe for my American Barleywine. Going to visit my good friend next weekend and am going to surprise him by bringing all my brewing equipment so we can do an all grain brew (he's only done Brew Kettle and partial grain extract brews at home.) :mug:

Sounds like fun until you realize you have to pack everything up twice! I'll do it for my club's get together for Big Brew Day, but never seem to find the motivation otherwise.

TNGabe said:
Sounds like fun until you realize you have to pack everything up twice! I'll do it for my club's get together for Big Brew Day, but never seem to find the motivation otherwise.

Well when I brewed the saison he kept peppering me with questions on all grain brewing so it's a good chance for me to pay it forward and get some beer karma :)
Plus he gave me a case of Hopin' Frog beer over vacation so I also owe him!

Brewed a batch of BdG that I'm pretty excited about. Angered my back lifting it onto the table I use to get a good siphon. Dumb move, really need a pump. Got my upright freezer I use for temp control cleaned up the rest of the way and the quad moved out of there. Need to get a 5G BB tomorrow to transfer quad over to and it's still going to be short becuase I lost so much blow off. Might pick up an 8 gallon bucket for big beers while I'm there.

Racked my saison off the blueberries and rhubarb it's been sitting on. Color is great, nice tart flavor. Didn't have time to bottle - maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.

First fruit beer, breathed a sigh of newb relief when I popped the top and it wasn't covered in mold.

image-4277587871.jpg

BGBC said:
Racked my saison off the blueberries and rhubarb it's been sitting on. Color is great, nice tart flavor. Didn't have time to bottle - maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.

First fruit beer, breathed a sigh of newb relief when I popped the top and it wasn't covered in mold.

How much of each did you use? I can see rhubarb overwhelming blueberry pretty easily.

Yesterday I brewed up Jamil's West Coast Blaster, the second brew using my new setup. The Barley Crusher tore through the 15 pounds of grain, and I added the grist to the water, let it settle for a few minutes before slowly setting the grain-bed (i.e. no stuck mash/sparge!). Still working out some kinks on volume, so I ended up being slightly lower gravity than expected, but quite a bit more volume than I expected. I couldn't let myself toss out that sweet, sweet wort, so I put 5.5 gallons in the fermentation freezer with a recycled pitch of S05, and additional 2 gallons with a packet of Nottingham.

TNGabe said:
How much of each did you use? I can see rhubarb overwhelming blueberry pretty easily.

About 2/3 lb rhubarb and 2 lb blueberries in ~1.5 gal of beer. The rhubarb will probably be the dominant flavor, but I think I'm ok with that, big fan of rhubarb. I figured the blueberries would give more color than flavor.

Thoughts from your experience?

kscarrington said:
Yesterday I brewed up Jamil's West Coast Blaster, the second brew using my new setup. The Barley Crusher tore through the 15 pounds of grain, and I added the grist to the water, let it settle for a few minutes before slowly setting the grain-bed (i.e. no stuck mash/sparge!). Still working out some kinks on volume, so I ended up being slightly lower gravity than expected, but quite a bit more volume than I expected. I couldn't let myself toss out that sweet, sweet wort, so I put 5.5 gallons in the fermentation freezer with a recycled pitch of S05, and additional 2 gallons with a packet of Nottingham.

Have you brewed this one before? Dad and I are looking for something close to Green Flash Hop Head Red. I hear this recipe is in the same neighborhood as Bear Republic Red Rocket. I have this recipe bookmarked as next up once I free up space in my ferm fridge next weekend.

Awesome - looks and sounds delicious! I've got some rhubarb sitting in the freezer for an upcoming blonde ale that I'm going to rack onto cranberries and rhubarb in the next month or so.

BGBC said:

I brewed it once last summer, however I experimented with some first wort hops and added additional bittering hops, so while good, it was a hop bomb. I am looking forward to seeing how the significantly more tamed version comes out! Unfortunately I haven't had either of the beers you mentioned, so I can't make a comparison for you. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

winvarin said:
Have you brewed this one before? Dad and I are looking for something close to Green Flash Hop Head Red. I hear this recipe is in the same neighborhood as Bear Republic Red Rocket. I have this recipe bookmarked as next up once I free up space in my ferm fridge next weekend.

Ordered a pound of Galaxy hops and a few other miscellaneous 2 oz bag for future brews. Did some preliminary testing on my RIMS panel. Looks like all of the components are talking and working as intended. Just need to install a couple of fuses, and get everything packaged neatly in the box.

Made an all-grain Chinook IPA outside while boiling an extract Amarillo Cream inside, cleaned two kegs and lines, kegged my Ahtanum Amber, racked blackberry wine off the lees. Now to start cleaning up the house.... oy.

Bought water for Fridays brewday.

Meijer spring water - Michigan well water taste a whole lot better then my local municipal water.

BGBC said:
About 2/3 lb rhubarb and 2 lb blueberries in ~1.5 gal of beer. The rhubarb will probably be the dominant flavor, but I think I'm ok with that, big fan of rhubarb. I figured the blueberries would give more color than flavor.

Thoughts from your experience?

A pound per gallon on rhubarb is very prominent and you're at a little under a 1/2lb per gallon. I've never used less than a pound, but I think half that should be good without being in your face. Haven't used blueberries, but I'm planning on 3 lbs per gallon when I do because they lose a lot of character when fermented.

TNGabe said:
A pound per gallon on rhubarb is very prominent and you're at a little under a 1/2lb per gallon. I've never used less than a pound, but I think half that should be good without being in your face. Haven't used blueberries, but I'm planning on 3 lbs per gallon when I do because they lose a lot of character when fermented.

I still have some rhubarb in the freezer, so looking forward to using that in future brews. Might save the blueberries for pancakes, but I also have some sweet cherries in the freezer. Any recommendations for a brew to use those with? A Dubbel perhaps?

I'm working up a recipe for a saison that I'm going to sour, then rack onto cherries.

BGBC said:
I still have some rhubarb in the freezer, so looking forward to using that in future brews. Might save the blueberries for pancakes, but I also have some sweet cherries in the freezer. Any recommendations for a brew to use those with? A Dubbel perhaps?

Checked the gravity on my SMaSH that's been fermenting veeerrrrryyyy sloooowwwwlllyyy for three weeks. Finally down to 1.009. So I added my dry hops, and will bottle next weekend or the weekend after.

Trippel-A said:
Checked the gravity on my SMaSH that's been fermenting veeerrrrryyyy sloooowwwwlllyyy for three weeks. Finally down to 1.009. So I added my dry hops, and will bottle next weekend or the weekend after.

What yeast did you use. I split a Vienna/2 row beer between 001 and 051 I am used to fermenting out fully in about a week with 002. These yeasts have me from 1056 to 1018 in about a week.

I usually don't check until 2 weeks tho so who knows

I've never used sweet cherries in a beer. It's my understanding that morello type cherries are best (dark red to black and very hard to find), montmorency is 2nd choice (common 'pie' cherries, bright red), and sweet cherries are a distant third and don't leave much cherry flavor after fermentation.

1. Brewed a California Common.
2. Bought ingredients for a doppelbock. We 'll probably brew that on Friday.
3. Tasted a session IPA at Vintage Brewery - they are hosting Wisconsin Brewery until their facility is open.
4. Tasted our APA. It's very new (brewed 7/28) , a bit sweet on the front end but great hop aroma & bitterness.
5. We will taste our Scotch Ale later tonight. Projected ABV was 7-something but it wound up around 9.

Hung out while a buddy brewed at my place. Milled grains to brew 'lamebic' tomorrow.

Sold a couple recipe kits (i work at my lhbs) then went to my buddy's house to help him teach another one of our friends how to brew (did an impeial west coast ipa) then we did a single hop amarillo ipa after.

Oh. And we bottled a hefeweizen. Twas a long day

Checked on my 5 and 2-gallon carboys, chugging along nicely. Ordered some more hose, camlock fittings, and a recirculation arm.

Vacuumed the house, mowed lawn, pulled weeds, blew errthing off...this has everything to do with keeping SWMBO happy and therefore allow me to keep brewing!!

ballsy said:
Vacuumed the house, mowed lawn, pulled weeds, blew errthing off...this has everything to do with keeping SWMBO happy and therefore allow me to keep brewing!!

This, sir, is dedication.

I moved a vigorously fermenting bitter into the fridge, and the placid (end-of-fermentation) lager into an ice bucket. Living dangerously today. :)

Also ordered a new buck-knife to carve a mash paddle with. I had an awesome knife before I got married but my girlfriend's mom borrowed it and never gave it back... which never struck me as ominous until now.

(Oh, and I ordered some vials for yeast slants.)

Spent the weekend trying to fix my car after a misshape. Then decided to clean & wax it afterwards. spent time on probetalk & others lookin for parts. Then back here this morning. Gotta clean some bottles & get some fixins for pit bbq'd jalepeno poppers. Tomorrow is our 36th anniversary,so time for bbq again,3 different hb's in the fridge too.

Back