What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning and organizing for an up coming brew day and adjusting the recipe. I’ll also calibrate a PH meter for the first time- hoping this has a positive impact on my brews, using it, that is.
Sometimes I use my pH meter, most times I don't. Might just be me, but I get too hung up on worrying about 2 points either way. I will use it tomorrow for a wee heavy I'm going to brew, but that one is for a mini-competition for the club and I'm stressing about it, never having brewed one before.

Racking my Mourning Dove WCIPA in to secondary to cold crash it. Taking a gravity reading on my BlackBerry Malomel and cleaning some kegs. If I feel like it I might mix up one of those cheap ABC pale ale kits and pour it over some dip hops. Maybe just Maybe!

EDIT
beer racked and conditioning, mead gravity at 1.020 down from 1.130, it’s young but tasty and still needs more time

Then to finish the day drink some Velvet Scoter Vienna Lager.

Last edited:
Sometimes I use my pH meter, most times I don't. Might just be me, but I get too hung up on worrying about 2 points either way. I will use it tomorrow for a wee heavy I'm going to brew, but that one is for a mini-competition for the club and I'm stressing about it, never having brewed one before.
I’m brewing my first kettle soured Berliner Weiss, so since I have the meter I might as well use it instead of litmus paper.

Prototype for a special project.

bJBiLFj.jpg

The debut of Coffin Jockey Box at a brewfest yesterday.

IBgCtSt.jpg

ZceUNBS.jpg

inys2bo.jpg

ETA: We were just informed that we won the Favorite Brewer vote, from the field of 20 Comm'l Breweries and 3 Homebrew Clubs. Not bad for our first public outing, I reckon.

Last edited:
Mixed up one of those ABC Pale Ale beer kits, made my own enhancer with 2 lbs of pale DME, 1 lb of dextrose and 6oz of Maltodextrine. While I was mixing that up and raising to pasteurization temp, I dip hopped the fermenter with 1oz of Motueka, 1oz of lemon drop and 1oz of Cashmere. Waiting for it to come down to pitching temp then throwing Nottingham at it and fermenting and my brewery ambient temperature of 71-72 For 2 weeks then crash and keg.

EDIT

Changed yeast to Voss Kveik, mainly because I can pitch it sooner and secondarily I think it will play well with all the citrus hops. So it will be done in 3 days. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Mixed up one of those ABC Pale Ale beer kits, made my own enhancer with 2 lbs of pale DME, 1 lb of dextrose and 6oz of Maltodextrine. While I was mixing that up and raising to pasteurization temp, I dip hopped the fermenter with 1oz of Motueka, 1oz of lemon drop and 1oz of Cashmere. Waiting for it to come down to pitching temp then throwing Nottingham at it and fermenting and my brewery ambient temperature of 71-72 For 2 weeks then crash and keg.

EDIT

Changed yeast to Voss Kveik, mainly because I can pitch it sooner and secondarily I think it will play well with all the citrus hops. So it will be done in 3 days. 🤷‍♂️
You'll definitely notice some grapefruit notes.

Today I made a hopper for my new Crankandstein grain mill.
View attachment 823265
The mounting board is from my Barley Crusher which recently gave up the ghost. Had to add a scrap of plywood between it and the mill as the hole for the BC is bigger than the Crank.

The next step is a stand and to add a motor. I have an old general purpose motor with a 10:1 gear reduction for a nice, slow grind.

And now motorized and standified. Spent the better part of the day putting this together.
IMG_20230716_214508940.jpg

IMG_20230716_214526298.jpg

My first attempted was a failure. I was winging the measurements and miscalculated. A 5 gallon bucket wasn't going to fit. Also I used a link belt with the motor and it didn't quite fit the pulley grooves and couldn't grab well. Switched to a standard belt, plus added a hinge mount so the weight of the motor added tension. That worked ok until I loaded it with a larger volume of grain, then the belt would slip. Rigged up a tensioner with a bolt into a pivoting barrel nut. A couple of turns of the knob snugged it up enough to eliminate the slippage.

The grey housing off the motor is a 10:1 speed reducer. The motor and reducer came with a vintage band saw that I've been planning to restore. That along with the 4" pulley on the Crankandstein gives me a speed of ~90 RPM.

Last edited:
Last night into this morning, got the last two entries bottled for competition that closes entries tomorrow. One of them (a Citra/Sabro NEIPA that I've brewed many times) is just about the best one I've brewed from this recipe, cannot get over how tasty/hazy/awesome it is. LHBS where I'm taking them is only a few minutes down the road from work, so I'll take a bit of a lunch drive today.

I didn’t calibrate my PH meter yet. So very unscientifically I squeezed a small piece of lemon, then inoculated with Swanson’s lacto and covered the surface with Saran. The temp was 88.4 and I placed it over my old timey pilot light which should bring it up to 90 and hold it there.

Attachments

• 016FBD1A-3AF7-4A0D-A83C-45018F3CCDB6.jpeg
    016FBD1A-3AF7-4A0D-A83C-45018F3CCDB6.jpeg
    911.7 KB · Views: 0
Kegged Foam on the Range Homebrew club Iron Brewer entry. Shoutout to Brew Hut for picking workable ingredients! Some years it’s been brutal. It’s a dark mild….. very dark. tastes to style, good flavor. Competition judging is August 5th, popular vote at club picnic.. Looks like 8 entries. Cross your fingers for me…

Transferred my chocolate milk stout to a keg to condition. Made a bit of a mess (that could have turned into a really big mess) when I forgot to pull the PRV after pushing priming solution into the keg. Putting back pressure on a bucket is very much not good for closed transfer, although I imagine it would be great if I had a FV built to hold pressure. Anyway, no boom, just beer shooting out the spigot at my crotch.

Anyway, it really does taste like chocolate milk, except for a rather sharp bitterness that I'm hoping will age out (bitter comes first, finish is sweetish and chocolatey). I might have overdone it on the cocoa powder though. Had a gallon of sludge left in the fementer. I think I'm going to wish I had a floating dip tube in this keg.

Marzen brew day is complete.

I did a decoction mash because I hate myself.

I tried to compensate for the high efficiency I have been having, and by doing so I went a little lower than expected on the original gravity.

I’m using a high attenuating yeast (s-189) so it will probably finish around 5.3%. A little low for the style, but **** it. The wort smelled lovely.

Marzen brew day is complete.

I did a decoction mash because I hate myself.

I tried to compensate for the high efficiency I have been having, and by doing so I went a little lower than expected on the original gravity.

I’m using a high attenuating yeast (s-189) so it will probably finish around 5.3%. A little low for the style, but **** it. The wort smelled lovely.
Sounds like a crushable tasty beer

Finally binned the bag of two-row I bought last weekend, now sneezy. Built the recipe for the PF lager I'll brew on Saturday, and trying to decide if I should buy another pound of Sabro hops to do the NEIPA again. Only $19 for a pound, and that will last me for a while since I only use 4.5oz per batch.

Yesterday I moved the kettle sour to my oven, where the pilot light keeps the interior at 90F, took a look and had a sniff and taste today. I was going to boil for 30 mins with the hops once it’s soured, but the DMS was strong so a full 60 minute boil is probably the way to go, it certainly looks like the lacto is active but the flavor isn’t acidic just yet.

Swapped out my gas lines from 9.5 to 8mm (removes a few possible failure points in that I no longer need in-line reducers). Cleaned my hardware and replaced the lines on my keg transfer/sampler line (I’ve done pressure fermentation in a larger keg and always transfer to a smaller serving keg).

Oh, and I imbibed some HB, of course! The New World Cider that I made with the recipe I got from @jdauria.

Finished up construction of EBIAB Controller!

The case is an old heavy steel toolbox; DIN circuit breakers 30A 240V, 10A 120V & 1A 120v with 2 switched 120V outlets, 2 SSRs, internal fan, hard shutdown switch for 30A line, power regulator and an Inkbird PID. Input 50A 240V & output (3 way switch controlled) 30A 240V for 5500 watt elements if I go 3 vessel later. Salvaged media cabinet with hard mounted pump and plate chiller. Exciting!

I also got a lesson on GFCI’s. I wired up the shop 8 years ago with a branch circuit breaker box including a 50A 240V GFCI breaker. Worked fine with my original on/off 240V only controller but not with this unit. I was going crazy looking for my mistakes in the box as anything 120V tripped the GFCI. I took a break and researched problem on this forum and ElectricBrewery. Both Bobby_M and Kal mentioned GFCI install problems. Next morning I found the problem, fixed (Thanks guys!!) and the controller is great!

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, while testing one of my Oktoberfest (bottled in Feb2023), I bottled 2 cases of a Summer Saison that needed a lot of patience'n'prayer to turn out good. The cook was done in 110° desert shade & it really didn't go as planned. The taste during (indoor) bottling this weekend demonstrated promise, but time will tell.

Check gravity and tasted the Cascade-Hopped Cider, 1.001 and a nice, refreshing grapefruit sparkle. I think a little backsweetening and carbonation will make this an amazing 5% summer refresher.
IMG_4600.JPG

Same for the 12BOC2023 Crabapple Lambic. The Belgian Esters are there, the tart is rising, going to be good in a few months!

Now the real project: Bought this used with the intention of replacing my SSBT 10G Mash Tun, so I could control mash temps better and actually do step mashes. Today is the clean and test day. If this pans out, look for the SSBT 10G mash tun to show up in the classifieds here, L.A. area.
IMG_4603.JPG

Back