What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged a 4 gal batch of Irish Red at the city house. Beersmith predicted .009.
9146108B-4786-4868-8696-A8E9DDD472B3.jpeg

I know. I've been using these beasts for almost 20 years now and I still haven't find a good way around hand washing them. I used to fill them up with room temp water plus two tablespoons of OxyFree and let them sit for up to overnight and they really did "self clean" themselves to where I didn't even need to use a brush. But that's 13 gallons of water per batch plus leaving them sitting around, just seemed wasteful and clumsy so I went back to cleaning them by hand.

Oh well, it's not a big deal (which brings me back to where I am :))

Cheers!

View attachment 824088 View attachment 824089

I have six of these 6.5 gallon Italian carboys and they all measure the same 29mm neck ID...

Cheers!
I've never used carboys so never had that problem. It's the narrowness of the hole plus them being glass that steered me away. I only use SS fermenters. Wide open, easy to clean, no worry of dropping and shattering. Except I did purchase a 3 gallon plastic big mouth bubbler for small experiments but have not used it yet. Good luck in your quest !

I thought about that, and the risk that a stopper gets ejected keeps me from trying it :oops:
I don't have enough sink space to accommodate more than one of these at a time, and yesterday I had four of them to clean...

Cheers!
I fill them about 1/3 way with pbw solution then invert them into a 5 gal bucket filled about half way with solution. It works. I keep and reuse pbw. Keep it in a 5 gal bucket.

After finally brewing enough and getting ahead of consumption enough to have four beers on tap with my keezer I kicked two kegs within three days.

So today I cleaned two kegs. I have a stout finishing up I’ll put in one this weekend and maybe brew another one to replace. Kind of a busy weekend though.

I may have to move up to 10 gallon batches

I fill them about 1/3 way with pbw solution then invert them into a 5 gal bucket filled about half way with solution. It works. I keep and reuse pbw. Keep it in a 5 gal bucket.

I might try that next time, thanks. I actually have enough buckets around to handle four carboys at a time for the next time (rare!) that it happens.
But I wouldn't consider saving PBW solution as it loses much of its cleaning strength in 8-10 hours per Five Star...

Cheers!

Tested FG on the Amber Grain Pale Ale: 1.016, or 4.46% ABV. Tastes bready and biscuity, with a note of slightly sweet mystery fruit and a slight touch of bitterness at the end. I expect bottle conditioning will attenuate the sweetness, accentuate the fruit and carbonic bite will heighten the bitterness some.

Last edited:
Just finished bottling 2 batches @ 19.5 days fermentation. Brown ale started low @ 1.058 and finished @ 1.011 for 6% abv. Other is an IPA w/ Citra-Mosaic combo based on 70/30 pilsner-golden extract. This one hit all the numbers and finished @ 6.8%. 22 bottles of Brown and 47 of IPA w/ a little in a 1 gal mini keg. Overall a successful brewing session.

20230709_124548.jpg

20230628_095127.jpg

I brewed a 1g batch of Amber Ale with a mix of light and amber DME. 30 minute boil, all Cascade hops. I've brewed this a number of times, with great success, but added a new twist: Pitched a 1/2 packet of Omega Lutra Kveik dry yeast at 90*F. The batch started firing bubbles in about 2 hours. It will be beer --and I think quickly. :)

Ok you got me...saurgut ???
It’s an ingredient used by (mostly German) breweries to adhere to Reinheitsgebot. It’s a highly acidic sour wort that is used to naturally modify mash pH without using “artificial” additives like lactic acid, etc. It is thought it might be one of the flavors many of us taste when we drink imported German lagers. I make these small batches to add late in the boil mostly for the flavor contribution. I think I’m going to try using it earlier in the mash to see if it creates a different flavor profile.
https://loschicoshomebrewing.wordpr...eat-secret-of-german-lagers-brewing-a-helles/
Edit: @ba-brewer beat me to it.

It’s an ingredient used by (mostly German) breweries to adhere to Reinheitsgebot. It’s a highly acidic sour wort that is used to naturally modify mash pH without using “artificial” additives like lactic acid, etc. It is thought it might be one of the flavors many of us taste when we drink imported German lagers. I make these small batches to add late in the boil mostly for the flavor contribution. I think I’m going to try using it earlier in the mash to see if it creates a different flavor profile.
https://loschicoshomebrewing.wordpr...eat-secret-of-german-lagers-brewing-a-helles/
Edit: @ba-brewer beat me to it.
What kind of German lagers ? Pilsners ? Lagered wheat bocks ? I've had more German beers than I could possibly remember except for Sours and I've never had a Kolsch. I don't recall tasting anything... different...though that could be to me being particular to mostly darker German beers.

What kind of German lagers ? Pilsners ? Lagered wheat bocks ? I've had more German beers than I could possibly remember except for Sours and I've never had a Kolsch. I don't recall tasting anything... different...though that could be to me being particular to mostly darker German beers.
I think nearly all German beers. The flavor is probably more noticeable if you drink an import next to a domestic beer of the same style.

I think nearly all German beers. The flavor is probably more noticeable if you drink an import next to a domestic beer of the same style.
Well H ! ...I was stationed in Germany for 2 years. That's why I say more German beers than I can remember. Been drinking them since. Or maybe I just got so frigging drunk darn near every night I just got used to whatever it is. Though probably 95% of what I drank was Aventinus and Rauch bier.

Well H ! ...I was stationed in Germany for 2 years. That's why I say more German beers than I can remember. Been drinking them since. Or maybe I just got so frigging drunk darn near every night I just got used to whatever it is. Though probably 95% of what I drank was Aventinus and Rauch bier.
If you’re used to drinking them (German beers) exclusively, it’s something you might not notice… especially in a rauchbier.

N
If you’re used to drinking them (German beers) exclusively, it’s something you might not notice… especially in a rauchbier.
Not exclusively but the lions share. I do enjoy other styles... sometimes. A good Porter , stout , brown , Amber or even a summery Belgian or American wheat. But now you got my interest peaked ! I'm gonna be in search of this "other" taste 🤣😂

I kegged my English porter yesterday. Not sure how it happened, but all of a sudden I have tons of beer lol. The stuff on draught isn't close to kicking and you can see in my sig the stuff waiting or coming. Once I keg my marzen (double batch), I'll only have 1 "normal" keg left. Going to probably have to chop a brew or 2 off the schedule...ah, first world problems...

Last edited:
Snagged a sweet deal today. $200 for all this. 5 kegs, 20lb co2 half full, regulator, 4 post manifold, and unopened bags of more hose clamps and keg connectors than I’ll ever need. Kegs need some TLC and I was only wanting to add 2-3 kegs to my collection but couldn’t pass it up.
View attachment 824413
You can never have too many kegs! I once thought 3 or 4 would be plenty. Now I'm at 10, and other than the 2 I set aside for specific purposes, I'm on the verge of only having 1 free :)

Transferred a black IPA to secondary and dry hopped, freeing up one fermenter for Friday brew day..ran my RODI water for my Friday brew.
I know. I've been using these beasts for almost 20 years now and I still haven't find a good way around hand washing them. I used to fill them up with room temp water plus two tablespoons of OxyFree and let them sit for up to overnight and they really did "self clean" themselves to where I didn't even need to use a brush. But that's 13 gallons of water per batch plus leaving them sitting around, just seemed wasteful and clumsy so I went back to cleaning them by hand.

Oh well, it's not a big deal (which brings me back to where I am :))

Cheers!
Sometimes it seems the hard way, is still the best way ,something to be said about 20 years of experience..

Been busy with new duties at work, so haven't been here much this week. Tonight tested my 'too much yeast nutrient' theory by tasting the PF lager I brewed last Saturday; and it is wonderful. Malty, nothing off, and set to crashing. Next up is bottling some cream ale and Strata Pale for upcoming competition, and drinking on said cream ale that I have been rationing until I could get the bottles ready for it. Going to brew it up again this weekend, now that I know better. Had a good day.

Today I brewed two beer, originally was just going to do one but got ambitious. First beer was a 3gal batch of Marzen and the other was a 5gal batch of citra/cascade golden ale. The marzen came in close to design but I rushed the golden ale and came in light so I added some sugar to bump the ABV.

Grain to glass in under a day :)
IMG_5252 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5257 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5255 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5261 - Copy.JPG

marzen 35%pilsner/35%munichII/25%vienna/5%carmunichI
golden 50%GoldenPromise/50%GW2row

Last edited:
Back